What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLW: Which club is rumoured to ...

DeeGan

Bench
RLW: Which club is rumoured to ...

be toying with the idea of offering Sonny-Bill Williams a ten year deal in an effort to lure him away from Canterbury?

_40832191_sonny270.jpg

Opening to the article written by Tony Adams:

"A leading NRL club is preparing to offer Sonny Bill Williams an unprecedented 10-year contract in an audacious bid to lure him away from the Bulldogs."

Which club(s) do you think could be lining up for his services?

My club, the Gold Coast Titans, will be linked to every other player coming off contract for the next few seasons - so I expect the same speculation will be rife here.

Former glamour club the Sydney Roosters will be linked to this story, Cronulla I expect to see mentioned as well as the rebuilding South Sydney Rabbitohs who have snared some brilliant New Zealand talent. Another club could be New Zealand - SBW as captain of his home town club is a nice story given he is a likely future Test captain as well.

Do you think the deal is a smart one or would you be hesitant given SBW is yet to complete a full season in the NRL competition?

Look forward to reading your comments.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
if true would have to be one of the dumbest decisions by a club ever. no player (especially one as injury prone) should be signed up for such a long extent. there's so many things which could go wrong inj the first few years without worrying a decade on

Dave Q

Coach
I reckon its the Titans, but I wouldnt put it past the cashed-up Panthers.

They missed Lyon, pockets still full of doshish.

Glenn

First Grade
10 year deal??? Got to be Souths, no other club is so desperate to
"re-build" :crazy:

The Colonel

Immortal
10 years on one player? F**k. That is a big commitment to one player and if he is offered that deal then he should take it. Very risky investment though for a club. A season ending injury at any point in his career still sees him tied to that club unless they can agree to some arrangement.

DeeGan

Bench
Pierced Soul said:
if true would have to be one of the dumbest decisions by a club ever. no player (especially one as injury prone) should be signed up for such a long extent. there's so many things which could go wrong inj the first few years without worrying a decade on

I tend to agree.

Sonny Bill is one of my favourite players and one of the very few whereby I just have to watch ANY game he is playing in - the concern I would have if I was CEO is the "return on investment" in terms of time on the playing field over ten years.

On th flip side, off the field, he is a marketing dream - there is no player more marketable at the moment in my opinion.

He brings in sponspors, "new fans" and the club who has his services taps in to a potential global market given his sponsorhip deal with Nike.

Lowdown

Juniors
Hahaha...me thinks his manager has probably leaked the idea...typical trick trying to talk up opposing offer rumours to keep Canterbury on their toes, and probably reaching for their chequebook with a little more vigour than in the absence of any such offers.

Disco

Bench
Raider Azz said:
i cant see any player in their right mind accepting a 10 year deal anyway.
Seriously????

if i was SBW and got offered 6mil over 10 years, i'd have to take it, future settled.

i mean how many players get 500k+ a season and of those players how many years do you think they comand that money??? 5 years maybe

why wouldn't you take it (with obvious clause's such as, renegotiating if the salary cap increases)

DeeGan

Bench
Lowdown said:
Hahaha...me thinks his manager has probably leaked the idea...typical trick trying to talk up opposing offer rumours to keep Canterbury on their toes, and probably reaching for their chequebook with a little more vigour than in the absence of any such offers.

Nooo, not Mr Gavin Orr (SBW manager) - surely such a leak would not happen from a "reputable" player manager ;-)

Shorty

Staff member
It would have to be either Titans or Rabbitohs....
Won't ever happen anyway though Sonny Bill is a Bulldog and wouldn't be the same anywhere else except representing the Kiwis.

DeeGan

Bench
Cowgirl86 said:
Won't ever happen anyway though Sonny Bill is a Bulldog and wouldn't be the same anywhere else except representing the Kiwis.

Really?

The same thing was said of Steven Price re: Canterbury - nothing is certain in the professional era of rugby league.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah,but I personally can't see him anywhere but the Bulldogs I think he would look out of place.
He runs along similar lines as Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer,you just can't imagine him anywhere else.
Obviously if it happened I'd get used to it but I can't see him signing with anyone else either it's like the more people try and lure him,the less he budges.

BrisVegas

Juniors
Such a long term deal also posses a degree of risk for Sonny Bill. To what extent the salary cap will increase over 10 years is a bit of a gamble.

600k a year is 15% of a clubs current salary cap. If Williams can retain the same 15% indexed to any future cap increases he would be mad not to take the offer.

Rocco

Juniors
its better for him to leave the puppies and take up that 10 year deal.

it will be his best career decision ever

I can see the warriors doing it to be honest. Loosing price & wiki next year will be huge and they'll need something to fill the void, and the only way they can attract quality players would be ridiculous offers like this.

DeeGan

Bench
Cowgirl86 said:
Yeah,but I personally can't see him anywhere but the Bulldogs I think he would look out of place.
He runs along similar lines as Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer,you just can't imagine him anywhere else.

I understood you the first time.

The point is plenty of players who most thought "I can't see him playing anywhere but [insert club] ..." have moved on chasing the dollar or being forced out.

Examples

Matthew Johns playing for Cronulla
Steven Price playing for New Zealand
Steve Walters playing for North Queensland & Newcastle
Ricky Stuart playing for Canterbury
Brad Clyde playing for Canterbury
Kerrod Walters playing for Adelaide
Brad Fittler playing for Sydney
Greg Alexander playing for Auckland
Tim Brasher playing for Souths & North Queensland

I would love to see more "one club players" (great to see Nathan Hindmarsh looking at being a life time Eel) though the reality is it will become more common to see players play for mulitple clubs.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah but the thing is this isn't the first time he's been offered a tantalizing deal.
We'll see what happens...

Latest posts