What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rlwc 2026

siv

First Grade
I can see a super pool of 4 once again

Aus, NZ, England and one other maybe Lebanon

Then

Samoa, Tonga, Qualifier 1

Fiji, PNG, Qualifier 2

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes, it feels like a missed opportunity not have games in NZ and Fiji.
I'd suggest they are saving NZ for hosting in their own right (maybe with a game or two in Fiji) a later tournament (though that might be giving them too much strategic credit!).
Either that or the Aus Govt is chipping in some hosting cash and demanding its only in Aus and PNG

Perth Red

Post Whore
I would be tempted for the Men's world cup to only have two games in Sydney. Kangaroos first game at Allianz and the Final at Accor and try sell them out.
never going to happen (Accor), Sydney is even more apathetic to IRL than Brisbane! Id have a pool game at commbank, then semi or final at allianz depending on who pays most to host the final.

Ideally
Semi 1 - Suncorp (Aus v ?)
Semi 2 - AAMI (NZ V ?)
Final - Allianz

or flip Allianz and Suncorp depending on hosting money offered

Wb1234

Referee
I'd suggest they are saving NZ for hosting in their own right (maybe with a game or two in Fiji) a later tournament (though that might be giving them too much strategic credit!).
Either that or the Aus Govt is chipping in some hosting cash and demanding its only in Aus and PNG
Prob nz govt didn’t bid for it

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
never going to happen (Accor), Sydney is even more apathetic to IRL than Brisbane! Id have a pool game at commbank, then semi or final at allianz depending on who pays most to host the final.

Ideally
Semi 1 - Suncorp (Aus v ?)
Semi 2 - AAMI (NZ V ?)
Final - Allianz

or flip Allianz and Suncorp depending on hosting money offered
I wouldn't call us apathetic. The last few big finals at Suncorp 2017 WC, 2014 4N, 2010 4N have all been very healthy and heads and shoulders above crowds any other city in Australia or New Zealand have produced.

I would call the ARLC apathetic towards the Kangaroos brand. They've let it fall so far from its peak. If they want the public to care then they first need to care about the value and prestige of the jersey. I don't think the Kangaroos even pop into the mind of most Australians these days when you think of national sporting teams and that's f**ked.

taste2taste

Juniors
I wouldn't call us apathetic. The last few big finals at Suncorp 2017 WC, 2014 4N, 2010 4N have all been very healthy and heads and shoulders above crowds any other city in Australia or New Zealand have produced.

I would call the ARLC apathetic towards the Kangaroos brand. They've let it fall so far from its peak. If they want the public to care then they first need to care about the value and prestige of the jersey. I don't think the Kangaroos even pop into the mind of most Australians these days when you think of national sporting teams and that's f**ked.
Maybe play the final in Perth or Melbourne?

History shows us NSW and QLD don't care about international footy

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Maybe play the final in Perth or Melbourne?

History shows us NSW and QLD don't care about international footy
2017 WC Final drew 40k at Suncorp
2017 WC SF Drew 22k at Suncorp
2014 4 Nations DH drew 47k at Suncorp
2010 4 Nations Final drew 44k at Suncorp
2008 WC Final drew 50,500 at Suncorp
2008 WC SF drew 26k at Suncorp

We'll show up, but the ARLC need to show some respect to the international game and make it seem important.

Perth Red

Post Whore
2017 WC Final drew 40k at Suncorp
2017 WC SF Drew 22k at Suncorp
2014 4 Nations DH drew 47k at Suncorp
2010 4 Nations Final drew 44k at Suncorp
2008 WC Final drew 50,500 at Suncorp
2008 WC SF drew 26k at Suncorp

We'll show up, but the ARLC need to show some respect to the international game and make it seem important.
40k to a wc final featuring australia Is sht. I was there, the whole weekend was poorly executed.
England, where the game is much smaller, managed 67k for the last final not even featuring the home nation.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
40k to a wc final featuring australia Is sht. I was there, the whole weekend was poorly executed.
England, where the game is much smaller, managed 67k for the last final not even featuring the home nation.
Shit compared to what? We are talking potential venues in Australia and Brisbane is heads and shoulders above any other city to host the final when it comes to supporting the international game.

The crowds in England for the big internationals are awesome and I love it when we get big games there, should be way more of them, but that won't help us at this world cup.

taste2taste

Juniors
The video illustrates everything that's wrong with having 16 teams. Having an Italian, Irish.. etc team full of heritage players ( Nathan Brown playing for Italy lol ) does nothing to grow the sport in those countries. Italy currently doesn't have a domestic competition.

Do people really want to watch an Irish or Italian team that doesn't actually have any Italians or Irish ?

The better decision is to reduce the teams to 10 making the tournament more profitable and using that money to invest in growth areas.

Countries where league is growing could desperately use some money to grow the game ( Jamaica, Serbia, Ghana ) even France, where league is established would benefit greatly.

Maybe in 10 years we can introduce more countries who can field a team without relying on heritage players and not be blown put by 90pnts.

Matua

Bench
The video illustrates everything that's wrong with having 16 teams. Having an Italian, Irish.. etc team full of heritage players ( Nathan Brown playing for Italy lol ) does nothing to grow the sport in those countries. Italy currently doesn't have a domestic competition.

Do people really want to watch an Irish or Italian team that doesn't actually have any Italians or Irish ?

The better decision is to reduce the teams to 10 making the tournament more profitable and using that money to invest in growth areas.

Countries where league is growing could desperately use some money to grow the game ( Jamaica, Serbia, Ghana ) even France, where league is established would benefit greatly.

Maybe in 10 years we can introduce more countries who can field a team without relying on heritage players and not be blown put by 90pnts.
Bro, if you're wanting to exclude heritage teams then the PIs (except Fiji) are screwed.

RedVee

First Grade

I was disappointed that they reduced the numbers down to 10.
If they are to stick with 10, then there should be an emerging nations RLWC played alongside. Why not an EN RLWC game before the main game, make every fixture a double header. Those nations would potentially learn a bit from seeing the big nations play live.

The answer is money, I’m sure. I’m not sure how we get around that atm.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I get the argument about excluding heritage teams but as @Matua points out, Samoa, Tonga, PNG and Lebanon need to go too which would be a tragedy.

Heritage teams are fine PROVIDED the work is being done on the ground in the actual country to grow the game like in the Pacific nations.

El Mazri and Co for example at the 2000 WC kick started Rugby League in Lebanon which today is played in schools and Universities. If we had an international governing body with some serious cash behind it to incest in promising nations, Lebanon could be a serious RL nation today.

taste2taste

Juniors
I get the argument about excluding heritage teams but as @Matua El Mazri and Co for example at the 2000 WC kick started Rugby League in Lebanon which today is played in schools and Universities. If we had an international governing body with some serious cash behind it to incest in promising nations, Lebanon could be a serious RL nation today.
This is a good example of how to to use heritage players. Having 2 per team would help the lower tier countries, but last WC Jamaica and Lebanon only had 1 player each from thier domestic comps. If reducing the WC to 10 teams could save money and invest in countries like Lebanon surely that's a win.

The perfect solution would be to have any emerging nation pool with the winner advancing to the semis, this would avoid blow outs. I'd love to see Jamaica V Lebanon with players who live and play in those countries but I have zero interest watching a Jamaican team made up of Brits and a Lebanon team made up of Aussies and I cant see how it would benefit league back in those countries.

In regards to reducing the number of heritage harming the PI, maybe they could have a rule you are allowed unlimited heritage players if the countries population is under 500 k ??

Latest posts