What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2013 Qualifiers: Lebanon | Italy | Russia | Serbia

Who will win the RLWC Qualifiers

• Russia

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Serbia

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Italy

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • Lebanon

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ByRd

First Grade
Great win by the boys, hopefully the can carry it on into the next two games!!!

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Gee I feel for Russia and Serbia. These guys obviously love the game and go through a lot just to play but they seem to be clobbered every time in internationals. Funnily enough, both domestic competitions seem to be dominated by a single club which obviously doesn't help.

Hang in there guys, hopefully things will get better. With a bit of luck you will play more games against teams like the Ukraine and Hungary to get a bit more up to speed.

shasha

Juniors
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Lebanon has got this.

Scotland v Ireland just kicked off.

I don't think by you saying that you are 'going out on a limb.'

I think Lebanon should be favorites despite all the stars the Italians brought in.
One thing Lebanon have on them is that they have been around together for a while, I think most of the boys playing have all played before and been in WCQ before.

The LEBRL can only blame themselves for their top players not playing. But even without their top players not being available I still think they have the side that will stick it to Italy and make it into the world cup.

Didgi

2013RLWC EUROPEAN QUALIFIERS GAME 2
Lebanon kicked off their 2013 Rugby League World Cup European Zone Qualifiers with a rousing 96-4 win against Serbia at the Tripoli Olympic Stadium. The Cedars ran in 17 tries, Danny Barakat setting the ball rolling in the third minute with the first of his hat trick, full back Adnan Saleh and Jamie Clark also claiming hat tricks.

Satisfied Lebanon coach David Bayssari, was not carried away by the final score. “It was one of those games,” he said. “The Serbs tried their all and never let up. Our boys played pretty well and our goal is now the Russian game next week and aiming for another win.”

It was a carnival atmosphere from the vocal home crowd as the players ran out, and were then introduced to the Lebanese Minister of Youth and Sport Faysal Karami, but the visitors were up against it from the outset, the opening try coming from a planned grubber kick on only their second set of six.

Adnan El Zabedieh went over in the eighth minute with hooker Clark claiming his first soon after as the big home pack got on a roll. The Serbians, who lacked nothing in passion, prevented any further breaches in their line for ten minutes but three further touchdowns in quick succession from Saleh, Adham El Zabedieh and winger Clifton Nye effectively put the game out of reach. Nick Kassis and Saleh again extended the lead to 46-0 at the break, Nadim Couri finishing with 13 conversions from 15 attempts.

James Boustani brought up the half century three minutes in to the second period, Barakat crossing on the next play, Nye then claiming his second. Boustani and Clark added further touchdowns before the hour mark and the superior fitness of the hosts saw them finish strongly, Saleh, skipper Khaled Deeb, Barakat and Clark completing the rout.

Stand off Adam Nedić gained the Serbians sole consolation effort as they ran out of fit bodies and, when the siren went, the jovial crowd rushed onto the field to join in celebration with their new found heroes.

A realistic Lee Crooks, the Serbian coach was satisfied his players gave their all. “It’s a game that nobody really expected us to win and the gulf in experience was there for all to see,” he commented. “Their awareness of the game and understanding, strength and power far outweighed ours. I was really pleased with the effort of our players. I think we stuck to our structure well, which will help us going forward. We completed a lot more sets in the second half which enabled us to put them under more pressure and we’ll look to develop the team against Italy and hope for a positive result against Russia.”

LEBANON
Adnan Saleh, Adnan El Zabedieh, Danny Barakat, Adham El Zabedieh, Clifton Nye, James Boustani, Nadim Couri, Khaled Deeb (c), Jamie Clark, Allen Soultan, Ahmed Ellaz, Steve Azzi, Ray Moujalli, Subs: Ali Kourouche, Nick Kassis, Ibrahim Ballout, Robin Hachache

SERBIA
Ivan Šušnjara, Vladan Kikanović, Miloš Ćalić, Aleksandar Aleksić, Nebojša Živanović, Adam Nedić, Dalibor Vukanović, Ilija Radan, Nikša Unković, Lazar Živković, Stefan Nedeljković, Soni Radovanović, Austen Novaković, Subs: Dejan Lukenić, Danilo Delić, Zoran Pešić, Milan Šušnjara

http://www.rlef.eu.com/wcq/report?RLE00000057

crimpo

Juniors
No adam - their 30 man squad had 18 Australians. The starting team against Serbia included 2 domestics with 2 others on the bench.

ByRd

First Grade
They took over 16 players from Australia and had 10 local players join the squad on arrival.

billy2

Juniors
The scary thing is that I get the feeling that both Italy and Lebanon are keeping something up their sleeves till the big game.

adamkungl

Immortal
Ah ok that explains it then...

On Russia and Serbia - would it be fair to say they need more exposure to the rest of the RL world? Have they played many tests in recent years? They can't just play entirely within their 1 club dominated domestic competitions and expect to compete with semi-pro players. Need consistent exposure to the skills, fitness levels, and up to date coaching and tactics of the stronger nations, they need to be able to see reachable improvement goals and work towards them.

As with almost every single issue with international rugby league, whether it be player eligibility, nation swapping, development - it all comes down to more matches needed for all nations.

RedVee

First Grade
forgotten how the qualifiers work, can Lebanon and Italy both make it?
Thought perhaps 1st euro goes through, 2nd euro play off against winner of Atlantic Quals?
Or, is it just the winner of both Euro and Atlantic Quals going through?

paulmac

Juniors
I think the Cook Islands should have to playoff in a repecharge against the runner up in the European group rather getting an automatic spot.