What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 1 Vs Brisbane

Girds89

Bench
Look we can no doubt win games with Kenny and garner...

I just think we are going to have to change the way we play a little to accommodate those two players.

They aren't and will never be kiks and api.

You could make an argument that we lost our two biggest attacking weapons in one season..

As I said we've been playing the same shapes for 3 years... teams knew what was coming when we had kiks and api but they still couldn't manage us. Too many threats across the park..

St helens knew what to expect in the wcc. Broncs too.

Yes we had a few missed opportunities but we didn't really look dangerous with the ball in hand at all..

I don't think Ivan needs to revolutionise the way we play... just slight adjustments...

The sweep plays on the left hand side for example... get luai in at first receiver every now and than playing to cleary out the back.

We we are on the attack within 0-20m of the try line play Spencer out wider. Have him running off the outside him of cleary and luai. Garner or Marto can slide into the middle in the attacking end and Spencer slides out. Spencer running crash lines into halfs and 5/8s off luai or clearys hip is seriously threatening.

Lastly.. critta needs to get way way more involved. Generally we aren't an offloading team.. however players Iike leota and fish were always good offloaders... it was just not our style. I think they might need to chance their hand this year a bit and critta should be sniffing round the ruck on plays 1-4 coming out of our end. Not crazy offloads... but teams know we aren't an offloading team... might catch teams off guard if we start playing some 2nd phase footy..

2nd phase footy is largely what makes the eels so dangerous.

I know it's early in the year. I just think a few tweaks are definitely needed to our style.. we didn't see any last night tho.

Iamback

Coach
Look we can no doubt win games with Kenny and garner...

I just think we are going to have to change the way we play a little to accommodate those two players.

They aren't and will never be kiks and api.

You could make an argument that we lost our two biggest attacking weapons in one season..

As I said we've been playing the same shapes for 3 years... teams knew what was coming when we had kiks and api but they still couldn't manage us. Too many threats across the park..

St helens knew what to expect in the wcc. Broncs too.

Yes we had a few missed opportunities but we didn't really look dangerous with the ball in hand at all..

I don't think Ivan needs to revolutionise the way we play... just slight adjustments...

The sweep plays on the left hand side for example... get luai in at first receiver every now and than playing to cleary out the back.

We we are on the attack within 0-20m of the try line play Spencer out wider. Have him running off the outside him of cleary and luai. Garner or Marto can slide into the middle in the attacking end and Spencer slides out. Spencer running crash lines into halfs and 5/8s off luai or clearys hip is seriously threatening.

Lastly.. critta needs to get way way more involved. Generally we aren't an offloading team.. however players Iike leota and fish were always good offloaders... it was just not our style. I think they might need to chance their hand this year a bit and critta should be sniffing round the ruck on plays 1-4 coming out of our end. Not crazy offloads... but teams know we aren't an offloading team... might catch teams off guard if we start playing some 2nd phase footy..

2nd phase footy is largely what makes the eels so dangerous.

I know it's early in the year. I just think a few tweaks are definitely needed to our style.. we didn't see any last night tho.

There were a few times last night that if Cleary throws a harbour Bridge pass, To'o is in space.

2021-22 team doesn't take those risks 2020 team did. We need to get back to that style

Girds89

Bench
There were a few times last night that if Cleary throws a harbour Bridge pass, To'o is in space.

2021-22 team doesn't take those risks 2020 team did. We need to get back to that style

Yeah a few more risks are needed this year. And just mix up the shape every now and than.

Teams are soo used to what we throw at them

betcats

Referee
Agree re the structure, we need to evolve a little bit without Api and kiks. Everyone knows how we attack, Luai out to the left edwards out to the right in good field position playing a second receiver role on that side, clearly in the middle third at first receiver. In good field position whatever side of the ruck Clearys on is where the ball is going, especially if he’s on the left. Without the class of Api at hooker it’s becoming easy to read which is not good.

Panfa

Juniors
Im over this 2 hooker shit,hookers should be able to play 80 mins.Bench should consist of either 2 props 1 second rower 1 utility or 1 prop 2 second rowers 1 utility.Even when luke came on last night they left kenny on the field why he should be replacing kenny.

Alintheeast

Juniors
Agree but we lost game with 41/2 minutes to go when Penrith didn’t take 2 points on offer and just kept attacking revved up Brisbane Defense. Last 2 years we take 2 be 5 behind we had talent to score a try anytime we really needed too. Brisbane would have fallen apart knowing they lead by less than 6 and we were coming back. Conservative tactics work when you have super talent 1 to 15 not so much with current squad.
They will in time.
Just to clear up on Luke. He had a disrupted pre-season and obviously didn't trial. The plan for him last night was one stint only, for about 20-25 minutes. Depending on how the match was progressing for when he would be injected.
After the Broncs jumped out to 12-6. The plan shifted to him being bought on fresh for the last quarter of the match against tiring forwards. He will get built up to 2 stints.

Not everything went well last night. There were missed opportunities and the attack didn't have its usual rhythm. Just need a few tweaks. With recent departures and a change in personal (spine) an adjustment period will take time before they sing. Fortunately the bones are there and some of the players last night are capable of better performances.

snickers007

Juniors
I don't get why Luke was penalised on the play the ball?

You can't put the ball down in front of you without a foot in it?

You are supposed to fully rise to your feet before planting the ball on the ground.

You're not supposed to place the ball on the ground and push yourself up off it.

Extremely nit picking penalty in the grand scheme of things. A hundred instances of that go unpenalised every game. No consistency at all.

WestyLife

First Grade
Im over this 2 hooker shit,hookers should be able to play 80 mins.Bench should consist of either 2 props 1 second rower 1 utility or 1 prop 2 second rowers 1 utility.Even when luke came on last night they left kenny on the field why he should be replacing kenny.

That is our bench. Kenny is playing the utility role as hooker/middle forward. It's a different way to achieve the same result. Leniu and Sorensen are your props and Salmon the second rower.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I have no issues at all with the Luai - Salmon argument. Salmon was clearly not in the right place and needs to know.

I’m much happier seeing the boys pissed off that they played poorly and lost, rather than bouncing around laughing and carrying on.

The great teams talk this stuff out and move on.

I’d bet any money they were all good with each other 10 mins later.

You are supposed to fully rise to your feet before planting the ball on the ground.

You're not supposed to place the ball on the ground and push yourself up off it.

Extremely nit picking penalty in the grand scheme of things. A hundred instances of that go unpenalised every game. No consistency at all.
Thanks. I thought it was something we could have challenged considering a hand was still holding his leg down

The other reason is if you give a penalty there Cleary could potentially kick a goal. Referees don’t like giving penalties late in the game, particularly one that could result in a kick for the win.

Panfa

Juniors
That is our bench. Kenny is playing the utility role as hooker/middle forward. It's a different way to achieve the same result. Leniu and Sorensen are your props and Salmon the second rower.
Kenny is not a utility player he is a hooker and an average one at best.Luke needs to start and bench should be leniu sorenson hosking peachey.

WestyLife

First Grade
Kenny is not a utility player he is a hooker and an average one at best.Luke needs to start and bench should be leniu sorenson hosking peachey.

He plays hooker and middle forward so plays multiple positions allowing the rotation flexibility. Call it what you want I'm not going to argue over definitions. Peachey needs a good solid month in reserve grade to earn his right in the 17.

Iamback

Coach
He plays hooker and middle forward so plays multiple positions allowing the rotation flexibility. Call it what you want I'm not going to argue over definitions. Peachey needs a good solid month in reserve grade to earn his right in the 17.

I still think moving Tago to backrow should be in the plans but something needs to happen. Peachey did look much skinnier than last time if that is the way Ivan goes