What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 2: 4 NATIONS 2010: Kiwis v Lions

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Forum 7s - 4 Nations - 2010
NEW ZEALAND v GREAT BRITAIN & IRELAND LIONS
logo_kiwi_NZ.jpg
-v-
british-map-100x100.jpg

Jesbass (c) --------Big Mick (c)

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.​

Naming Teams (F7s 4 Nations conditions):
* 3v3 (+ 4 reserves for each team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named​

FULL TIME: Saturday 6 November 2010 at 9pm (Syd time)

REFEREE: Non Terminator

Venue: North Harbour Stadium

**The Referee Blows Game On!**
whistle_2.gif

CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Jesbass

First Grade
Kiwis.jpg

Fresh from a close victory over the Kumuls, the Kiwis decide to take the fight to the Lions...

-----------------------------------
Team:
Jesbass (c)
rayroxon
madunit

Bench:
LeagueNut
RHCP
-----------------------------------

Ringa pakia
Uma tiraha
Turi whatia
Hope whai ake
Waewae takahia kia kino

Ka mate, ka mate
Ka ora' Ka ora'
Ka mate, ka mate
Ka ora Ka ora
Tēnei te tangata pūhuruhuru
Nāna i tiki mai whakawhiti te rā
Upane... Upane
Upane Kaupane
Whiti te rā
Hī!

3035142405_2567af5c66.jpg

Last edited:

Jesbass

First Grade
Kiwis.jpg

After a prop overruns his pass, the diminutive Jesbass is left to take the first hitup. Gulp!

Re: Tired And Weary

It’s official: my career as a Warriors season ticket holder is at an end.

After plying my trade for a dozen seasons and taking hitups from my naysaying union-obsessed peers – as well as the occasional penalty for backchat – it’s time to hang up my boots.

I’ll still be supporting the team, but henceforth I will be doing so from a distance.

It’s been an enjoyable and unforgettable road, filled with twists and turns and the occasional pothole, but my time is finally up; retirement and all its benefits lie in wait.

My earliest forays into league fandom are almost as fresh now as they were when they occurred a decade and a half ago.

My passion for the game was birthed on the halfway line of the Warriors’ home turf as I took part in the opening ceremony for their inaugural match. At the time, I was blissfully unaware that I was inviting myself into a club and a code that would form such a large part of my life.

When I first joined the Warriors as a paying member, I was a scrawny 16-year-old in high school. My form teacher knew I was a fan of the team and he persuaded me to put my money where my mouth was. The next thing I knew, I was sitting in the stands yelling at the officials.

That was in 1999, and my how things were different way back then in the 20th century!

For starters, there were different names: the ground went by the title of Ericsson Stadium and the club was monikered the Auckland Warriors. Kiwis legend Mark Graham had just been assigned to the head coaching role and Matthew Ridge was the club captain.

I joined at a time of change.

The club had recently been sold to the Tainui tribe, along with Graham Lowe and Malcolm Boyle, and the Warriors logo had only just been altered to show a newly straightened tongue. The boardroom turmoil that followed has been well documented, but it wasn’t as tough to watch that as it was to witness the on field performances – it took six home matches before we were victorious at our own venue.

Such tenacity for those of us who attended those early losses paid off at the back end of that season, with a couple of big wins including a 42-0 drubbing of an Andrew Johns-led Newcastle Knights side.

Looking back over my years with the club, it’s hard not to reminisce about the almost 150 matches that I’ve attended and the innumerable playing careers I’ve seen begin and end at Penrose’s hallowed ground. Some of the athletes who I witnessed experiencing NRL football for the first time went on to represent their country and win a World Cup, while others faded, disappearing into obscurity.

The same could be said of some of my fellow season members. Many of the people I regularly sat with back in 1999 are no longer around. Most have moved; some to other seats, some to other stands, and a few – myself included – have shifted to other towns.

The twilight of my membership began to dawn in 2008 when my wife and I decided to move to the Bay of Plenty. The catalyst was the Auckland property market, but the decision to leave wasn’t easy.

A friend and fellow Warriors fan summed it up well: “Tauranga is a long way from Mount Smart, mate.”

He was right.

I used to be able to complete a journey to and from the stadium within the length of the half time break. These days, almost half a round of NRL matches could be completed before I’m able to complete my round trip.

And now, with a young daughter, I’ve left the Warriors club and joined the club of fatherhood.

There are others who travel further and on tighter budgets, but having neither the spare time nor money to make it work, I’m moving into retirement and looking forward to my pension.

The creaking joints of my ancient 28-year-old body will be grateful.

Perhaps, in lieu of giving me a watch, the club could get me some other form of jewellery. That NYC title is quite fancy, and the Club Championship trophy would look good on the mantlepiece, but I'd like something with a bit more...bling.

A Premiership band has a nice ring to it.

After all my years of selfless loyalty and sacrificial support, it's the least they could do.

749 words between the stars (including title)

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit for the Kiwi's

The Last Local Heroes

Up until 1994, Australia had been one of the most active touring teams in world rugby league. They regularly toured to England, France and New Zealand, as well as playing hosts to all visiting test sides.

Usually these tours had between 5 and 20 matches, including tests, against both clubs and regional representative sides, with nearly all of them not expecting to be anything more than also-rans.

But one very passionate and committed team in New Zealand had always proved to be one of the toughest and most imposing teams for touring test nations to oppose for many decades.

Australia named essentially their second string side, believing that the game would be another walk in the park. Even so, the team they named was still very impressive:

1 – Dale Shearer (8 tests)
2 – Michael O’Connor (16 tests)
3 – Peter Jackson (4 tests)
4 – Tony Currie (5 tests)
5 – Michael Hancock (1 test)
6 – Des Hasler (3 tests)
7 – Greg Alexander (1 test)
8 – Sam Backo (4 tests)
9 - David Trewhella (0 tests)
10 – Martin Bella (1 test)
11 – Dan Stains (0 tests)
12 – Bruce McGuire (1 test)
13 – Paul Vautin (11 tests)

14 – Brad Clyde (1 test)

With instructions from coach Cameron Bell to simply “Move it wide, move it wide,” Auckland did just that and after just three minutes a Kelly Shelford grubber into the Australian in-goal area was fumbled by O’Connor, before he had a chance to clean up, Auckland centre Mike Patton pounced on the loose ball to open the scoring.

Australia replied with two tries to Shearer and Currie, skipping away to a 10-4 lead. But Shelford struck again with some clever stepping and passing to put Dave Watson over. A successful conversion levelled the scores at 10 all at half time.

Auckland struck first in the second half when Shane Hansen crossed the line. Shelford converted and then shortly after kicked a penalty goal to see the Auckland boys skip away to an eight point lead.

But the class of the Australians could not be denied. Three tries in just 10 minutes to Shearer, Hancock and Alexander saw the Australians take control of the game and with just ten minutes remaining, the Kangaroos looked destined to skip away with a comfortable win.

However, they didn’t count on Auckland to keep fighting. Shelford got his forwards standing toe to toe with the Australian pack, and before long, found the Australian defence very fragile on the short side. Shelford threw a short pass to back rower Francis Leota who ran through the flimsy defence out wide to score. Shelford converted to lock the scores up at 24 all with just nine minutes remaining in the game.

The nerves on both sides started to take their toll. Auckland were camped inside the Australian half for most of the remainder of the game. They received four consecutive penalties from referee Bill Shrimpton, all within kicking range. Three times Auckland opted to take the tap but could not break through the rock solid defences of Trewhella, Stains, McGuire and Clyde.

Then Greg Alexander picked up a loose ball but was deemed to have knocked it on. Angered by the error he threw the ball away in disgust. Shrimpton blew his whistle and penalised Alexander for throwing the ball away. Shelford opted to take a shot at goal with the clock winding down.

The kick was successful, and with 3 minutes remaining, Auckland lead 26-24.

Australia turned out one final attacking raid on the Auckland line in a desperate attempt to secure a victory. Alexander drifted wide, created an overlap, dummied and then put in a grubber for his winger.

O’Connor came flying through; the Auckland defence was nowhere to be seen.

10 seconds to go…

Nine…

Eight…

Seven…

Six….

O’Connor reaches out; his right hand makes contact with the ball. The Kangaroos thinking they may have snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

Five…

The ball turns ever so slightly in O’Connor’s outstretched hand. He can’t get his left hand to the ball in time and he loses control of the ball.

Four…

Three…

The ball falls loose, the crowd begins to rise from their seats and the raucous cheering begins to build.

Two….

One ….

The ball hits the ground.

Auckland move the mighty mountain.

Auckland 26 (Patton, Watson, Hansen, Leota tries; Shelford 5 goals)
Australia 24 (Shearer 2, Currie, Hancock, Alexander tries; O’Connor 2 goals)
July 12, 1989 at Auckland

745 words, including title

Sources:
Sydney Morning Herald
Rugby League 1989-90 by David Middleton (Australian team line-up)
www.rugbyleagueproject.org (Number of Tests for Australian Players)

rayroxon

Juniors
Rayroxon for the Kiwi's

Rays Rules.

League is a game governed by rules. They're the rules that say you can't spear tackle someone, or twist their arms into a pretzel, or lie with dogs. Then there are unspoken rules. They're the rules that state that when the bulldogs fail one season, they succeed in the following one, that Rabbitohs fans live in a perpetual state of despair or the ones that ensure Wayne Bennett never smiles.

The following are five rules that shape the game as we know it today. Maybe not the game itself, but the game as I understand it.

1. The fullback is pretty.

Luke Patten is a sublimely talented man. He isn't as fast, and he isn't as flashy as other fullbacks but he does what he needs to and does it well. That doesn't make his head acceptable. I enjoy watching Hayne, Slater and Stewart not just because of their skills but because of they look pretty. If you have a wrong head you shouldn't be allowed to play fullback, play hooker instead.

2. The best leaders have voices you can't understand.

I was too young to remember Tommy Raudonikis' playing days, however I remember his coaching or more specifically the "cattledog" from the 1997 State of Origin. I don't think it's is his aura or mystique as a Blues legend that made the call work but more his voice than anything else. Darren Lockyer took note and busted his larynx and look at how good he is now. Garry Larson was pretty over rated, however his voice made him most excellent. Steven Price would be a powder puff if not for his gravelly voice. If you have a gravelly voice, the rules dictate you will be great, with the exception of Andrew Leeds of course.

3. Second rowers have one track minds.

Second Rowers are creatures of habit. Nathan Hindmarsh is known for his butt crack and Beatles mop. He's also known for tackling till he spews. Dallas Johnson gets knocked out repeatedly. That's what is expected of him too. Anthony Watmough is known for sewing his seed and his disconcerting gaze. Off field potency and crazy eyes is what's expected of him. Second rowers are the CD Single One Hit Wonder of the league world. They play one tune only but dammit, they play it well.

4. Props from Queensland are nice guys.

It seems the bigger they grow them in Queensland, the nicer they seem to get. Let's start with Cameron Smith. If you can get past his Agro eyebrow, no-one likes him because he's a twat. He's also kind of small. Justin Hodges, who is by no means small, but is by no means the biggest Queenslander, is liked even less. He may be a well balanced runner with superb hip and upper body strength, however, no one is going to send him chocolates. When you get to the largest of the leaguies, well, everyone seemingly loves them. Petero Civoniceva even if he looks like an Ovalteenie is ace. Sure he wasn't grown in Queensland but he plays there. Steven Price is the most loved Aussie in New Zealand since Russell Crowe and he was a Queensland prop too. Before Ben Hannant became soft and wanted to go home, he had some respect in the NRL. And he's an Albino. Case closed.

5. State of Origin is Choreographed.

I appreciate wrestling. Big men, in lycra pretending to hit each other in the ring for an audience of angsty men. The good guy/bad guy predictability makes it enjoyable. Even though the Undertaker got dudded in the royal rumble last week, you know he'll win next time around. State of Origin was a bit like that too before the era of Queensland Dominance. The Blues would win game one, the maroons would win game two in a classic and the third would be a nail biter and they would alternate during the next series. It would follow this predictable path until Queensland ruined it with their 5 in a row shenanigans. I liked the unspoken parity rule, if anything just to give us blues fans something to smile about.

So there you have it. Some games are fine with their rules the way they are like 52 pick up. Some games are made worse with extra rules, like Monopoly and dad's crazy community parking rules then there's League which is fine with or without my rules, admittedly though, they do make a lot of sense.

742 words including title

So I can do a quick result (and because there are only three articles), I'll write little.

New Zealand 267

Jesbass 88
An interesting article, and a shame to hear about the retirement. It's still good to hear you've got the passion, written it in well.

madunit 89
A good write about a forgotten match. Like the old stories about Toowoomba, I enjoyed it.

rayroxon 90
Bloody good read. Loved it, nice bit of creativity.

Great Britain 0

New Zealand 267 - Great Britain 0

POTM: Rayroxon (New Zealand)

Jesbass

First Grade
Captain's Knock:

To the Lions, tough road, huh. Can't be easy when folk can't post, but I encourage you to not throw in the towel but to give it all you've got in the last round! :thumn

To the referee, thanks for your fast and fairmarks once again. I'm sending you a fire extinguisher for Christmas! :D

To the Kiwis, well done, and congrats to Ray on his MOM piece in his comeback match! Guaranteed finals spot - woohoo! :clap:

Latest posts