What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 4 Team vs Wtigers

lingard

Coach
They are all first graders, along with the other first graders we've managed to fit under our cap. They only need to do their job, not carry the team.

Well it worked for the past two years. Why would they be the outliers while 2018 is the year that finally proves you right?

I've already told you - playing out of your skin with a high energy, high intensity game is unsustainable. You've asked this question four times now; don't you get it?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I've already told you - playing out of your skin with a high energy, high intensity game is unsustainable. You've asked this question four times now; don't you get it?
But it is sustainable. We just spent two years proving it.

Or are you saying it is unsustainable for more than two years?

Chipmunk

Coach

We didn't play with a high energy, high intensity game for two entire seasons. We were a middle of the road team for all bar 1/3rd of each of those two seasons. That was sufficient enough for us to sneak into the Top 4 last season and would've been sufficient for us to sneak into the Top 8 the previous season.

We might find that level of play again for 1/3rd of a season this year and we may again sneak into the Top 8 or even Top 4 (or we may not find it at all), but don't pretend to yourself we've been one of the top teams for the last two seasons. We're mid table pretenders.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We didn't play with a high energy, high intensity game for two entire seasons. We were a middle of the road team for all bar 1/3rd of each of those two seasons. That was sufficient enough for us to sneak into the Top 4 last season and would've been sufficient for us to sneak into the Top 8 the previous season.

We might find that level of play again for 1/3rd of a season this year and we may again sneak into the Top 8 or even Top 4 (or we may not find it at all), but don't pretend to yourself we've been one of the top teams for the last two seasons. We're mid table pretenders.
I don't think we've been a top team - we aren't spending enough on players for that to be the case - but we are better than mid-table.

We've won 29 games in those two years. Other teams won this many:

39 Storm
32 Sharks
31 Broncos
29 Eels
28 Cowboys
28 Raiders
27 Panthers
24 Bulldogs
23 Roosters
22 Dragons
22 Seagulls
18 Rabbit-Owes
18 Tigers
18 Titans
17 Warriors
6 Knights

So as you can see, we've been a little bit better than 'mid table pretenders'. I can accept that our team might be less strong than last year with the loss of Radradra, but only Beau Scott would be in decline from our top 17 while French, Gutherson, Moses and Moeroa are all young enough to be better players this year. I still don't think we're a top team as you seem to think I do, but we should be more than competitive. And I'm sure after a bigger sample than three games that it will be reflected on the ladder.

I don't think we've been a top team - we aren't spending enough on players for that to be the case - but we are better than mid-table.

We've won 29 games in those two years. Other teams won this many:

39 Storm
32 Sharks
31 Broncos
29 Eels
28 Cowboys
28 Raiders
27 Panthers
24 Bulldogs
23 Roosters
22 Dragons
22 Seagulls
18 Rabbit-Owes
18 Tigers
18 Titans
17 Warriors
6 Knights

So as you can see, we've been a little bit better than 'mid table pretenders'. I can accept that our team might be less strong than last year with the loss of Radradra, but only Beau Scott would be in decline from our top 17 while French, Gutherson, Moses and Moeroa are all young enough to be better players this year. I still don't think we're a top team as you seem to think I do, but we should be more than competitive. And I'm sure after a bigger sample than three games that it will be reflected on the ladder.

Interesting stats.

I'd argue we'r closer to the Raiders over those two years (one top 4 finish, one middling/underachieving season) than we are to the Cowboys, who achieved sustained success despite a stack of injuries and Origin commitments.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Interesting stats.

I'd argue we'r closer to the Raiders over those two years (one top 4 finish, one middling/underachieving season) than we are to the Cowboys, who achieved sustained success despite a stack of injuries and Origin commitments.
I don't think the Cowboys overcame anything last year. Thurston and Scott have become defensive liabilities.

lingard

Coach

That's right, I am. Definitely. Especially when we haven't got Radradra to help out; we've played in energy-sapping heat; and we've had inordinately long periods without the ball.