What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 6 vs Tigers

Dragon David

First Grade
I always thought that Ben Barba would be found out about his capabilities at full back. He wasn't that tall but he was very nuggety and powerful in his legs and was able to bust the first line of defence and then scoot away either to score himself or to pass the ball onto a support player to score.

He is the sort of player we lack, more particularly, Flanno lacks in his squad in terms of attack. I don't think that Sloan has the Ben Barba capabilities as he isn't built to be bustling and hustling so he needs the gaps to get through to use his pace and score rather than the hard bust to clear the ruck and start his run like Barba.

I'm not sure how effective Barba was in defensive work - I think he would have copped a few hidings at times with big forwards running at him, but overall the bigger guys in the middle and edges would have helped him in that area.

I would like to see Sloan do more work with the ball and that is up to the attacking coach to work out moves that will involve Sloan chiming in and then send cut out passes out wide more often.

I can only hope that Dean Young can work out what we really need to do with our defence to contain the Tigers. Us leaking so many points shows that our defence is up to shit. Young is the defence coach. Is he doing a good job? Very questionable.

Dragon David

First Grade
No Bateman & one of the Fainu's.
Waa counting on Bateman giving away a few silly penalties.
Yes, you can count on Bateman giving away penalties in a game but even though Balmain might have these players out and even if they had Api and Bula out for example, we might still get done. We thought that with Frizell out on the weekend we might have got on top of the Knights but his replacement did a fine job. So, we need to be prepared to play the Tigers as if they had their full compliment of first graders playing and not think that they are under par with players out injured or out due to HIA protocol.

They will be looking at bouncing back at Campbelltown like you wouldn't believe. We also need to bounce back - can we?

redv13

Bench
Yes, you can count on Bateman giving away penalties in a game but even though Balmain might have these players out and even if they had Api and Bula out for example, we might still get done. We thought that with Frizell out on the weekend we might have got on top of the Knights but his replacement did a fine job. So, we need to be prepared to play the Tigers as if they had their full compliment of first graders playing and not think that they are under par with players out injured or out due to HIA protocol.

They will be looking at bouncing back at Campbelltown like you wouldn't believe. We also need to bounce back - can we?
Yes we will and Ravalawa will break his drought with a double 😉

justadragon

Bench

I've seen enough this year Dave to understand our best and our worst are miles apart, when it should be minimal and we can rely on some sort of consistency to say hey it will be close. But everything seems to depend on the day with the Dragons, how many errors we make, can we manage this game, is our kicking acceptable, can we handle the pressure from penalties going against us, are we actually going to turn up. There are so many variables its not funny and one thing for sure we are a tipsters nightmare, oh and btw we are a nightmare to the Dragons fans as well :)

Dragon David

First Grade
I've seen enough this year Dave to understand our best and our worst are miles apart, when it should be minimal and we can rely on some sort of consistency to say hey it will be close. But everything seems to depend on the day with the Dragons, how many errors we make, can we manage this game, is our kicking acceptable, can we handle the pressure from penalties going against us, are we actually going to turn up. There are so many variables its not funny and one thing for sure we are a tipsters nightmare, oh and btw we are a nightmare to the Dragons fans as well :)
All true, justa, all true.

The days that you just know that we would win no matter what are long gone.

How good was that feeling of looking at the next team we were scheduled to play and say straight away, we have got this. Now it is a maybe or if this happened and so on and a bit more negative because we just don't know the headspace the players are in plus the main thing is, do we have the players who can beat that team with no qualms about it?

Phantom V

Juniors
S
If you can’t see that there has been improvement in Sloan’s game this year then you’re not watching.
Sloan has improved this year and as someone highlighted before, he’s only 21. He’s only one player in a team which has yet to show any consistency and once we become a consistent team his improvement as a player will be fast tracked. Look at how well Walsh is going with the Broncs now compared to when he was with the Warriors. At the moment this kid is the only player in our squad with X factor. I’m prepared to cut him some slack until Flanno puts the right team on the park.

Bin Chicken

Juniors
If you can’t see that there has been improvement in Sloan’s game this year then you’re not watching.
Yeah that’s a fair call . He has improved this year all be it slightly . How ever , while I’m sure he has willingness and is a tough kid I just don’t think he has capacity in defence awareness . Yes that can be taught but not at this level. This is something you are either natural at as a fullback or learn in jnr programs . He is now a target and we are not doing him or the team any favours picking him . If that’s your standard you accept it’s a shame .

Victoire

Juniors
I tipped against Saints last week but I will tip them here. We're still quite a fragile team mentally and I figured playing in Newcastle + adverse weather would be a couple of bridges too far for them. I reckon they'll be back on the job this week. That's life with this team at the moment

TheRev

First Grade
I'm sitting on a beach in hawaii, so my dragons stress has finally reached zero.. And I missed last game as a result of kayo not working, but isn't Bird seriously injured? That alone will force a huge reshuffle and there is no need to mess with sloan, there will be enough change as it is.

As for supporting Sloan, ive learnt after years of watching fans who love dufty or sloan, that it takes atleast 5 straight shockers for them to be open to constructive criticism, and only 1 good run to reset the timer. I would have removed him 2yrs ago, but as I've mentioned a few times, he's the only fullback we have in our system and until we recruit anyone else, we have to just go with it and hope that flanno can push him to keep getting better and fast ... But right now I don't think feagai at the back helps us at all.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm sitting on a beach in hawaii, so my dragons stress has finally reached zero.. And I missed last game as a result of kayo not working, but isn't Bird seriously injured? That alone will force a huge reshuffle and there is no need to mess with sloan, there will be enough change as it is.

As for supporting Sloan, ive learnt after years of watching fans who love dufty or sloan, that it takes atleast 5 straight shockers for them to be open to constructive criticism, and only 1 good run to reset the timer. I would have removed him 2yrs ago, but as I've mentioned a few times, he's the only fullback we have in our system and until we recruit anyone else, we have to just go with it and hope that flanno can push him to keep getting better and fast ... But right now I don't think feagai at the back helps us at all.
Aloha TheRev. What a great way to help you to unwind and relax on a beach in Hawaii. I hope you are listening to the beautiful music from the movie Blue Hawaii with the great Elvis songs to help you de-stress.

Have a great time.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
The problem with our attack is ben hunt. Everything is through him to the detriment of the team. His stats & performance look good but it doesn't lead to winning or effectiveness of the team. The coach needs to incorporate his elite skills into the strengths of other players for us to see a drastic improvement of the team's attack.

We've seen it in spurts when Kyle has had more involvement in attack, as he incorporates others around him. Ben has 1 or 2 options max, either running the ball or kicking to lomax.

This is on the coaches to provide proper direction, game plan & expectations of the team. The heat is on Flanno & his coaching team because apart from players showing more commitment with our goal line defence, I don't think there's been any improvement compared to last year.

I think we need to revamp our attack to provide better balance between our left & right side of the field, better balance through attacking with our spine players would be helpful too. More runs from our hookers, more involvement from Kyle & less involvement from Hunt which will hopefully lead to more quality touches from him.

Once again, the game plan & preparation is on the coaches. They failed to prepare for wet weather footy v knights as evident from Flanno admitting pre-game they only 'talked' about the conditions, it showed with our constant side to side block plays & aerial kicks which are hallmarks of dry weather game plan.

I want to see some improvement from the coaches in the next few weeks. Imo they nailed it in the pre-season & round 1 but have been horrible since those games. They've gone away from what worked for the team which was better balance between left & right side, good player position selection (Eisenhuth at 2rf to shore up the edge defence) & decent bench rotation.

We had a great bench performance v Manly but then they changed it again to the teams detriment. I'm unsure if Flanno has control of the playing group or are they starting to dictate to him? Signs aren't looking good...

Yeah that’s a fair call . He has improved this year all be it slightly . How ever , while I’m sure he has willingness and is a tough kid I just don’t think he has capacity in defence awareness . Yes that can be taught but not at this level. This is something you are either natural at as a fullback or learn in jnr programs . He is now a target and we are not doing him or the team any favours picking him . If that’s your standard you accept it’s a shame .
I was a big Codey Ramsey fan however, sadly, that wasn't to be.
It did present Sloan with an opportunity, and after all he has shown, I can't understand why you flatly dismiss him.

I've asked you for your solution rather than "I'm confident we can recruit" but crickets.....

Sloan provides the X factor we need. How many fullbacks could be the equal leading try scorer in a team running 15th? And how many fullbacks could have saved the day in a team that's conceded 130 points in 5 games?

You don't learn FG defense in KOE cup and unfortunately even basic defense was not a coaching priority when Sloan came through the grades. Thats not Sloan's fault so he must learn FG defense in FG. Where else?

You admit some improvement, you offer no viable fix so why not just back him for 2024, then reassess? What have you got to lose if you're a true Dragons supporter?

I guess I should just accept the inevitable "laughing" emoji from you, as always.

Wolfgang90

Juniors

Bird went down like jesus then came back like jesus. it was truly an easter miracle.

In all seriousness, it could be a PCL related injury, so likely a few weeks. Hopefully it'll mean Lomax to ctr & rawa to right wing (correct positions for both players) with CT or Finau onto left wing (hoping Finau, as his potential is greater than CT).

SBD82

Coach
He has improved in both attack - finding his role in our new attacking structure, and in defence - positioning has improved and his defence and numbering in the line is significantly better.

He’s not the finished product, but while he is improving I think it’s absurd to consider dropping him.

And he is by no means the biggest issue in our side at the moment.

TheRev

First Grade
The problem with our attack is ben hunt. Everything is through him to the detriment of the team. His stats & performance look good but it doesn't lead to winning or effectiveness of the team. The coach needs to incorporate his elite skills into the strengths of other players for us to see a drastic improvement of the team's attack.

We've seen it in spurts when Kyle has had more involvement in attack, as he incorporates others around him. Ben has 1 or 2 options max, either running the ball or kicking to lomax.

This is on the coaches to provide proper direction, game plan & expectations of the team. The heat is on Flanno & his coaching team because apart from players showing more commitment with our goal line defence, I don't think there's been any improvement compared to last year.

I think we need to revamp our attack to provide better balance between our left & right side of the field, better balance through attacking with our spine players would be helpful too. More runs from our hookers, more involvement from Kyle & less involvement from Hunt which will hopefully lead to more quality touches from him.

Once again, the game plan & preparation is on the coaches. They failed to prepare for wet weather footy v knights as evident from Flanno admitting pre-game they only 'talked' about the conditions, it showed with our constant side to side block plays & aerial kicks which are hallmarks of dry weather game plan.

I want to see some improvement from the coaches in the next few weeks. Imo they nailed it in the pre-season & round 1 but have been horrible since those games. They've gone away from what worked for the team which was better balance between left & right side, good player position selection (Eisenhuth at 2rf to shore up the edge defence) & decent bench rotation.

We had a great bench performance v Manly but then they changed it again to the teams detriment. I'm unsure if Flanno has control of the playing group or are they starting to dictate to him? Signs aren't looking good...
I think there are a few gates before we get there, but its not outrageous that we run Ben @9, kyle 7 and Marschke 6 at some point in the year.. It would only be a last resort... But it is possible.

Latest posts