What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 6 vs Tigers

Parko1310

Juniors
Question for the forum, if we win against Tigers and are 3-3 after 6 weeks, will you be satisfied with the first quarter of the season?
I’d be pretty happy with that this year, winning 50% of our games consistently throughout the year would be a solid pass mark given all the circumstances.
Anyway, thinking of heading out to Campbelltown for this one, never been to that ground, or not since the 1980s at least.
Personally, I think we had a fairly soft draw to start the year. Dolphins was a big opportunity missed - and not only missed, we didn't even turn up. I didn't expect us to beat Cows, although in hindsight we should've been up 24-4 and I'm not sure we surrender that kind of lead. I didn't expect us to beat Newcastle. I probably expected us to be 4-2 at the end of round 6 to be honest, with the losses starting to tally up a little more mid to late season. 3-3 is not the worst looking at it realistically for where we're at, but it won't be good enough to even be in the top 11 I wouldn't think come end of season. We also could've been 5-1 when looking at how games went and our opponents to start the year, but instead we could be 2-4. Still a game to be played on Sunday.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Yeah KW I often watch the old games, simple footy without all the crap, I suppose money and being totally professional, fitter faster stronger, its not simple footy anymore and never will be.
Last good season of footy we had was 2015. Funny enough, that's the last season before the bunker came in and quite literally ruined the NRL as we know it. They have completely ruined the flow of rugby league entirely.

I still love my footy but with the caliber of athletes our sport has, a much more free-flowing game would be way more fun to watch and would attract more fans.

After all, V'Landys and all are just there for a quick pay check so why not make it work hey Petey? And then you go back to your horses

BLM01

First Grade
Question for the forum, if we win against Tigers and are 3-3 after 6 weeks, will you be satisfied with the first quarter of the season?
I’d be pretty happy with that this year, winning 50% of our games consistently throughout the year would be a solid pass mark given all the circumstances.
Anyway, thinking of heading out to Campbelltown for this one, never been to that ground, or not since the 1980s at least.
Never satisfied but Yes as expected wins against Titans, Dolphins and Tigers but not the other 3

TheRev

First Grade
I dont have expectations, I felt like when we missed those 2024 players like Tracey and Curran and Woolford etc.. That our 2024 was going to be very difficult to keep positivity at the club after an optimistic preseason.

Right now I'm just hoping we can land some players for 2025 and spring the odd upset in the process to get out of the bottom 2.. Thats what I felt preseason too.

I dont think we have good enough cattle to swap players who don't meet standards, so our teams fate once again hinges on average players dramatically improving.. A couple of chinks in the armour is always what loses you close games.. I would love to be pleasantly surprised though.

justadragon

Bench
I would be satisfied, but my concern would be the vast difference between our best and our worst so far.

in 2yrs the kid barely manages to put more than 10minutes in per game,
I have not seen much of him in Ressies. The one game I did see he looked fine. Not sure on his mins tho. Did he train with the top side in the pre season which meant he was under the tutilage of Dan Lawson. If so why is not up to top grade fitness standard.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
3-3 would be a good result I suppose after round 6. I did not expect to beat Manly and expected to beat Dolphins. It was the matter in how they lost to the Dolphins which makes it so much worse. If they lost by less than 10 you can make that up but 38 points is a few victories to get the +/- back to where it should be if you are fighting for finals. losing to the Cows after such a good start was disappointing and again the manner in how they lost and by how much hurt. Same with the Knights. When Saints lose, the lose big. If Saints beat Tigers to get to 3-3 that will sort of make me feel a bit more comfortable that Saints won't get the spoon however, if they get flogged by Tigers like their other losses then I won;t be comfortable that Saints won't be bringing home a wooden spoon.

Saints are entering a new era, new systems, coach etc. It will take time to gel. If the coach has the players to make change like Webster has at the Warriors they can make it happen quicker but Saints simply don't. Their spine is a huge issue. Sloan, Hunt, Liddle. Last minute KFlanno to 5/8 who was not a star before he joined. It was a tougher gig for Flanno than we thought. He honestly believed the players he had can deliver but they are not. The only one that is, wants to leave. People say Zac is spitting chips for playing wing, but what if Hunt was treated the same and picked at Hooker? Where he does play Origin. You will find that Hunt will do exactly what Lomax is doing. That is not on the coach but the type of players Saints have at the moment. Self centred that think they are bigger than the club and can whinge if out of position. We had a guy like Andrew Johns say on the footy show how pi$$ed he would be if he found out one of his players had dinner with an opposition coach. They all said it would simply never happen. Johns played hooker for NSW when he was clearly the best half just to satisfy the coach who wanted his mate Kimmorley. That worked out well.... Like the great players said on the couch (Fittler, Johns and Slater), you play where the coach puts you and that is it, not ask for a release or threaten to ask for a release because we all know that is what Hunt is doing and Saints are caving in, because the coach puts you out of position. Those 3 mentioned are legends of the game because of their attitude and it is something a lot of these players at Saints don't have which Flanno is figuring out and will get rid of. JDB will stay. THey have salary cap dispensation for 10+ years so should be cheaper to keep him around. Plus he stated he wants to stay and plays wherever the coach puts him.

The Saints team in 2-3 years will be so different when Flanno get's there as he has more dead wood to clear than he thought. And if their is 2 separate camps, then getting rid of 1 camp is a good start. See ya later Zac and Lawrie and whoever is part of this group if it does exist. Hopefully not and it is all about the jersey not the players or their position they are there for.

since77

Juniors
I'd have taken 3 / 3 in a heart beat at beginning of season after 6 weeks. So I'd be really disappointed if they go down to the Tigers.
Not happy with how much distance there is between our best and worst.
I've always thought this season would be a very slow and sometimes frustrating grind upwards - with some disappointing lows in between. I have no doubt we end the season better than we start it.
Might be some casualties along the way - maybe Sloan, but I hope the kid comes good. Possibly Bird. And most of all, Blake Bog Average Lawrie.

This Year?

Immortal
I would have been happy with 4-2. I had us pencilled in for wins against Titans, Knights, Sea Eagles and Tigers after what I thought was going to be defence orientated performances in the pre season.
New coach, new players, new attitudes should have seen our performances shift, but we have got spanked a few times already which is alarming.

Flanagan has destroyed the confidence of Vili Fifita.
An update on this post and probable proof I am correct as evidently, as I have not seen a full Reggie game, his form has since nose dived and he is now in danger of being dumped. Are coaches aware that their decisions can have a mental affect on a player. Flanagan should be as he played league for several years and not all that successfully..

Saints are entering a new era, new systems, coach etc. It will take time to gel. If the coach has the players to make change like Webster has at the Warriors they can make it happen quicker but Saints simply don't...
This is the SPORTSBET prediction for the 2023 Warriors:

New Zealand Warriors Season Prediction​

Predicted finish: 17th

The Warriors have been on a steady downward spiral in recent times and 2023 might just be the year they hit rock bottom.
Unfortunately, someone must finish last and collect that dreaded wooden kitchen utensil and all things considered it appears to be the Warriors turn.
The upside of getting to play a majority of their games in New Zealand and having a new coach has been offset by the losses of Walsh and Aitken and the overall strength of their squad pales in comparison to nearly every other team in the NRL.
It will take a mighty effort indeed to stay off the foot of the table and for the side that leaked the most points of any team in the NRL last season, running dead last in 2023 appears to be an unavoidable reality.

dungay dragon

Juniors
An update on this post and probable proof I am correct as evidently, as I have not seen a full Reggie game, his form has since nose dived and he is now in danger of being dumped. Are coaches aware that their decisions can have a mental affect on a player. Flanagan should be as he played league for several years and not all that successfully..
Seen plenty of this guy and his other Manly acquisition ..
Both go good in patches ..but have also been regularly found out in defence
Floating in and out of games
a growing trait among a lot of the new breed of potential NRL stars coming through
Look at young tuallagi ? at Parra ..One great game on Debut and all of a sudden the hype went into over drive...2 games later and huge lapses in defence has been bundled out the Eels Squad
Yep its tough to make it through successfully but today more than ever the Coaches at these Clubs are in a cut throat results driven job