What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roach Jnr to join Sharks

RainMan

Juniors
simon says said:
Exactly........I was gonna say something like that but I couldnt be bothered responding to such a stupid comment with some thought.

Thanks.

Oh please, you are fast becoming the LU Forum Idiot for 2007 with your 'witty' responses.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Simo said:
Do you think Roach has such a brain and physicaly attributes? No to make a slanging match about Blocker because in his time he was great and have personally met him and is a funny bloke but he is one style of player that in my opinion would not make it in todays game. The slower pace and 5m rule were to his advantage.

Some older players would adapt to the modern game and some current players could adapt to the older game.....but not all and I dont think Blocker is suited to the modern game at all (although I dont know anything about the playing style of Blocker Jnr who this is all about).

It's not really a matter of 'adapting' to the mordern game. I am talking about how these players would go if they were born twenty/thirty or forty years later. Therefore Blocker snr would have naturally come up through the ranks learning the skills required of the 'modern player'. He was a big guy but there are equally big and bigger players running round now who seem to have no trouble keeping up with the pace. It's all a matter of the appropriate training.

Simo

First Grade
gunnamatta bay said:
It's not really a matter of 'adapting' to the mordern game. I am talking about how these players would go if they were born twenty/thirty or forty years later. Therefore Blocker snr would have naturally come up through the ranks learning the skills required of the 'modern player'. He was a big guy but there are equally big and bigger players running round now who seem to have no trouble keeping up with the pace. It's all a matter of the appropriate training.

Fair point, I misunderstood your last post and who knows maybe with the same current training he would have been a great....on the other hand maybe modern training may have made him be an overweight average player who couldnt keep up - plenty of them around.

But your point about him being trained as the modern players are is very valid and maybe Blocker Jnr will be as close to us knowing if he would make as we will ever find out.

kooriguy

Juniors
i just think the biggest worry is him coming from yawnion as a forward it is a vastly diferent game as they favour the bigger meat head forwards where as we in league favour the athletic forwards. blocker would be in the wallabies if he played today.

skeepe

Immortal
RainMan said:
Oh please, you are fast becoming the LU Forum Idiot for 2007 with your 'witty' responses.

:lol: :clap:

Something Raiders fans have known about simple simon for a long time.

simon says

First Grade
gunnamatta bay said:

Exactly.....and I hate comparing era's as well.

If a player was good in the 60's,he was as good as he could be in that time.Saying he wouldnt be as good now is silly IMO.

You can only be as good as what on offer.

stevie013

Juniors
this kid is 18, and he has already been written off. i hope he makes everyone eat his words. he looks pretty athletic to me. i wish him all the best :)

Noa

First Grade
kooriguy said:
i just think the biggest worry is him coming from yawnion as a forward it is a vastly diferent game as they favour the bigger meat head forwards where as we in league favour the athletic forwards. blocker would be in the wallabies if he played today.

I agree. While theres no doubt Block's skills would easily be transferred to todays game many are under-estimaing how "fat" Steve was. I mean even by the standards of the average prop back then Block was flabby. Theres no way he could play today with that body-shape and if he struggled with his weight clubs wouldnt be to patient with him.

All-time great player though, its just that I dont think its as certain that he would excel in todays game like Im sure the Beetson's, Rapers,Gasniers etc. would.

Danish

Referee
Noa Nandruku said:
I agree. While theres no doubt Block's skills would easily be transferred to todays game many are under-estimaing how "fat" Steve was. I mean even by the standards of the average prop back then Block was flabby. Theres no way he could play today with that body-shape and if he struggled with his weight clubs wouldnt be to patient with him.

All-time great player though, its just that I dont think its as certain that he would excel in todays game like Im sure the Beetson's, Rapers,Gasniers etc. would.

Willy Brown and Charlie tonga lost between 15-20kgs each in their first off seasons with the Roosters.

I'm sure modern trainers would have no problems flogging the fat out of Block. Particularly with the carrot of a $300K+ salary dangling in front of his face.

Its only a question of if he would have the mental toughness to go through the training...... and being the hard man that he was it would be stupid to even question the man's mental strength.

brook

First Grade
smeghead said:
We have one of the sons. That will have to do.

And quite frankly out of all the Tigers legends we have the one who is worth holding onto in the shape of Rhys Jack

I dunno I think Matt Ryan is looking to be the pick of the bunch at this stage, although I haven't yet seen anything of Liam Roach yet.

brook

First Grade
eelavation said:
speaking of sons of former players...for some reason our club are chock full of them right down to Harold Mathews, Eric Grothe Junior, Joel Reddy, Brett Finch, Jarryd Hayne, Tim wynn and Justin Horo are the more notable ones.

Tigers have a heap too - We've got 8 second generation tigers currently in the balmain ranks and the magpies have a few too I think. Its good to see some of the old names come round again - hopefully a few of them go on to make first grade :D

philstorm

Juniors
langpark said:
it's true, the story is now of Fox sports website.

Don't call him talented and promising if you haven't yet seen him play.

So untalented, fat f**ks just make Schoolboy Union teams with no recognizable promise at all?

Mal Meninga

Bench
I don't think his heart was really in Union. From what I was told(Don't quote me on it), he wasn't really putting in and when it came to doing cardio he'd just walk off etc. But to play Aussie schoolboys, he had to be apart of Union for a mimumum of 1 year so it may have just been a planned move?

Charlie124

First Grade
simon says said:
Man...Im over Tigers legends kids playing for other teams...

First Pearce junior now Blocker junior too boot.

LeagueNut said:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21338114-23214,00.html

The former Australian Schoolboys union star knocked back an offer from his father's Wests Tigers for a chance to play under Australia coach Ricky Stuart at the Sharks.

Its not like he wasn't given the chance, you couldn't force him to play for the Tigers under a Father/Son rule if he didn't want to. Otherwise the Tigers could offer him $50,000 and effectively make him take it despite being offered more elsewhere.

Charlie124

First Grade
its stated pretty clearly in that article, maybe take a look at that. or just walk around with your eyes shut, whatever floats your boat.

Latest posts