What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robbie Farah gone?

Meapro Ham

Juniors
I enjoyed the interview Robbie gave yesterday where he totally slammed the coach and then went on to say he was going to play it smart and keep quiet and not slam the coach.

From an outsider's point of view the whole situation is quite entertaining.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I think this has to come to a head. Farah's recent comments mean he is not on the frame of mind to even consider offers from other clubs / ESL and time is running out fast to take opportunity of openings for next season.

If I were WT I'd give Farah advice that at end of season they will pay out his contract for 2017 in full and that he will not be selected for the NRL squad and he must turn up to all training sessions, off field commitments and not make any comment to the media (nor his manager or any unnamed sources) detrimental to WT, the coach or the team. Any players let go due to salary cap constraints will have Farah\s retention for 2017 mentioned in the media release. Any digression from any of these points means contract terminated on the spot.

If he still wants to dig his heels in, fine that will be the outcome. He has to start to consider other offers or this will be the end result. WT cant play him in 2017 after all this sh*t over almost 2 seasons. Time for hardball gentlemen/

Last edited:

Ron's_Mate

Bench
If I were WT I'd give Farah advice that at end of season they will pay out his contract for 2017 in full and that he will not be selected for the NRL squad and he must turn up to all training sessions, off field commitments and not make any comment to the media (nor his manager or any unnamed sources) detrimental to WT, the coach or the team. Any players let go due to salary cap constraints will have Farah\s retention for 2017 mentioned in the media release. Any digression from any of these points means contract terminated on the spot.
You might want to study contract law. The club can't just invent crap like that after the fact. If it's not already specified in his current contract then they can't add it without his approval. Still, enjoy your tough guy fantasy.

Further to post #551 on pg 28. Missed tackles and tackles made/minutes

Round 20 win vs Dragons - Brooks 10, Moses 7 & Naiqama 5 - Taylor 47/76 & Woods 35/65

snickers007

Juniors
So Taylor believes that that the problem with Farah is the attacking cohesion with the rest of the spine. So why not analyse statistics relating to that if you wish to disprove him?

With that in mind, I've run some numbers on number of touches between the spine players.

Here are the cliff notes:
  • On average, Tedesco touches the ball 24% less when Farah plays
  • On average, Brooks & Moses touch the ball 15% less when Farah plays

• 5/5 Top games for relative touches for Tedesco has occured when Farah didn't play
  • 5/5 Top games for relative touches for Brooks & Moses has occured when Farah didn't play
  • 4/5 Worst games for relative touches for Tedesco has occured when Farah did play
  • 4/5 Worst games for relative touches for Brooks & Moses has occured when Farah did play

Average touches with/without Farah:
  • Tedesco: 20/27
  • Brooks & Moses: 76/90

• Farah playing does not seem to impact the result of the game either way
  • Tedesco getting his hands on the ball more does not increase the chances of a win
  • Brooks & Moses getting their hands on the ball more does not increase the chances of a win
From that point of view, Taylor is correct. Brooks & Moses either go into their shell, or aren't given the ball when Farah plays. If Taylor is trying to build their attack around Tedesco, Brooks & Moses, Farah absolutely must go.

No point stunting the growth of 3 young players for a single player over 30.

I'd also be interested in seeing the correlation between the above stats, and dummy half runs with/without Farah.

Tiger05

First Grade
I enjoyed the interview Robbie gave yesterday where he totally slammed the coach and then went on to say he was going to play it smart and keep quiet and not slam the coach.

From an outsider's point of view the whole situation is quite entertaining.

This is pretty funny isn't it. Dudes I'm smart. Did you know that 2+2 =5.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
From NRL Stats

Aside from Handling Errors, Luke Brooks' stats with and without Farah are fairly similar.

Moses appears to run the ball more and take on the line more. He has more runs, metres gained and line breaks when Farah has played.

Tedesco's stats are largely fairly similar. There's a reasonable difference in touches and metres gained.
All of the below are averages per game.

Tedesco (5 games without Farah / 8 games with)
Touches - 24.6 without Farah / 20.88 with
Runs - 16.4 without / 13.00 with
Metres - 148 without / 114 with
Try Assists - 1 without / 0.75 with
Tackle Breaks - 7 without / 6.25 with
Line Breaks - 1.20 without / 0.75 with
Errors - 1 without / 1.25 with

Moses (8 games without Farah / 8 games with)
Touches - 41.75 without Farah / 37.75 with
Runs - 2.75 without / 3.75 with
Metres - 24.5 without / 48.88 with
Try Assists - 0.5 without / 0.38 with
Tackle Breaks - 1.13 without / 1 with
Line Breaks - 0.38 without / 0.63 with
Errors - 0.75 without / 0.75 with

Brooks (7 games without Farah / 9 games with)
Touches - 44.14 without Farah / 42.44 with
Runs - 5 without / 4.89 with
Metres - 38.71 without / 39.56 with
Try Assists - 0.86 without / 0.67 with
Tackle Breaks - 8 without / 1.44 with
Line Breaks - 0.29 without / 0 with
Errors - 0.43 without / 1.22 with

overall, I don't think there's really that much that can be truly read into whether they play better with or without Farah. It would seem that Farah doesn't starve Brooks of the ball, but Moses plays more of a running game. It's hard to fathom why Tedesco's running metres are lower, as a large chunk of those are kick returns and aren't in any way related to Farah.

GW.

Juniors
GW here,

what gets me is the circus around it all.

You dont see this outcry when Gould punted Luke Lewis, and Luke was an ausse rep playing well.

You dont see it when Gould also punted Paul Jennings, or roosters for that matter. Same thing.

Or the millions of players that Bennett cut down in their prime, or even as they were rising like Eastwood.

Yes its rough, but the coach has a plan, and is going at it, let him do his job.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think not hearing any drama about Paul Jennings is justified given his lack of existence as an NRL player

magpie guy

Juniors
GW here,

what gets me is the circus around it all.

You dont see this outcry when Gould punted Luke Lewis, and Luke was an ausse rep playing well.

You dont see it when Gould also punted Paul Jennings, or roosters for that matter. Same thing.

Or the millions of players that Bennett cut down in their prime, or even as they were rising like Eastwood.

Yes its rough, but the coach has a plan, and is going at it, let him do his job.

Big difference being that those other players were not treated in the same way as Farah. Telling him he would have to leave or play reserve grade when the season and opportunity to actually get picked up by another club was nil. Then dropping him 3 games out from 250 with the club.

If mid season last year they told Robbie to start looking elsewhere then it would be a different thing altogether... If Robbie had not taken pay cuts and put off salary payments so the the club could avoid salary cap dramas...
If the club and JT had not handled the entire situation with the tact and grace of downs syndrome chimp...

Bottom line, trying to say the team is better with Halatau at hooker as opposed to Robbie is utter bullshit and he has every right to dig his heels in.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Ron's Mate here,

if Gould was in charge of the Tigers and wanted Farah gone then it would have been done without fuss, like Lewis & Jennings. The reason there is drama around Farah is because Jason Failure is a giant knob and the Tigers management are borderline incompetent.

GW.

Juniors
Ron's Mate here,

if Gould was in charge of the Tigers and wanted Farah gone then it would have been done without fuss, like Lewis & Jennings. The reason there is drama around Farah is because Jason Failure is a giant knob and the Tigers management are borderline incompetent.
How so?

Taylor didn't cause this fuss? Media has.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I hope that JT and Farah sit down and have a conversation that looks something like this:

Farah: f**k you guy
JT: eh f**k you buddy!
Farah: I'm not your buddy friend!
JT: I'm not your friend guy!
Farah: Okay this is going nowhere. I just want to play footy, why are you putting me in reserve grade? Don't bullshit me that my form is not up to scratch.
JT: Okay, you know that I know that you are easily our best hooker but your not in our future plans so I had to make a hard call.
Farah: Well that is clear. I'm in negotiations to sign with Dragons for next year so you won't have to deal with me for much longer. I still don't see why I'm playing reserves for 2016 when Ballin is injured, Cherrington is off to Sharks and Liddle can't play due to salary cap.
JT: That's great to hear you have 2017 sorted out. Look I'm sorry everything played out the way it did, you do deserve better. If you are willing to work with me for the remainder of 2016 we can give you the send off as the club legend that you are.
Farah: That's all I want JT, I just want to play footy. Let's make a late charge into the finals
JT: I love you
Farah: what??
JT: There I said it
Farah: Ummm okay
JT: I just...you know...I have a wife and
Farah: Mate, I really don't know wtf you are going on about. I just want to play footy
JT: Okay sure sure. Forget I said anything

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope that JT and Farah sit down and have a conversation that looks something like this:

Farah: f**k you guy
JT: eh f**k you buddy!
Farah: I'm not your buddy friend!
JT: I'm not your friend guy!
Farah: Okay this is going nowhere. I just want to play footy, why are you putting me in reserve grade? Don't bullshit me that my form is not up to scratch.
JT: Okay, you know that I know that you are easily our best hooker but your not in our future plans so I had to make a hard call.
Farah: Well that is clear. I'm in negotiations to sign with Dragons for next year so you won't have to deal with me for much longer. I still don't see why I'm playing reserves for 2016 when Ballin is injured, Cherrington is off to Sharks and Liddle can't play due to salary cap.
JT: That's great to hear you have 2017 sorted out. Look I'm sorry everything played out the way it did, you do deserve better. If you are willing to work with me for the remainder of 2016 we can give you the send off as the club legend that you are.
Farah: That's all I want JT, I just want to play footy. Let's make a late charge into the finals
JT: I love you
Farah: what??
JT: There I said it
Farah: Ummm okay
JT: I just...you know...I have a wife and
Farah: Mate, I really don't know wtf you are going on about. I just want to play footy
JT: Okay sure sure. Forget I said anything
instead we'll get
JT: You're a dick
RF: You're a dick

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
How so?

Taylor didn't cause this fuss? Media has.
Taylor has caused the fuss. When drama around Potter and Farah happened, Potter ignored it and just did his job. He gave the rumours no oxygen and just laughed them off.

Taylor has given this issue legs. He's made up bullshit excuses, they've issued press releases about Farah being dropped. The entire club has made this a vastly more massive issue then it should be. That wasn't Farah's doing. He doesn't issue press releases, or demand to play off the bench, or in reggies.

Taylor wasted money on signing Ballin just to try and force Farah out. All it's done, as I expected, is force out Cherrington instead.

This whole mess all began when the club was backloading contracts like f**king crazy and then realised they were up shit creek, so they approached Farah several times to take a paycut while they approached Benji as well, less often, to do the same. Farah was gauranteed he'd be repaid the money in a backdated deal of his own.

He did the right thing by the club by taking the cut to help them stay under the cap. But when it's his turn to received his long overdue money, the club wants to arsehole him and not pay him out.

That is what's called a merkin act.

Farah should never be earning the coin he's on. He's way overpriced. But that wasn't Farah's doing, so he is very much entitled to stay and take his cash.

The coach is so f**king limited, that he can't find a way to get any value out of Farah. That speaks volumes about Taylor.

I personally don't want either of them here, but I completely understand and accept Farah's decision to dig his heels in.

GW.

Juniors
Thanks mad unit, that was a good detailed explanation.
I do admire farahs fight here.

I'm thinking that Tigers were a little arrogant and thought that he would get picked up elsewhere or get up and go, as seems to be the trend in the NRL lately where players leave at the mention of not being wanted, contract or not. If I'm right, then that was NEVER going to be the case for a club legend earning close to s mil.

Latest posts