What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robbie is here.

les norton

First Grade
Brilliant.

I couldnt give a stuff about some of your pompous opinions.

52,000 people + 1 rocked suncorp stadium last night.

Ohhh and Alex....
If you go to google news and type in Robbie williams you will see articles from the daily telegraph called 'robbie wows sydney' and something about him bowling people over in sydney from the smh...The links now go to the 2 new articles. Let me see if i can find them though...

here is perth and adelaide's reviews

Perth http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,20852670-948,00.html

Adelaide http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,20879917-5006343,00.html

jc155776

Coach
f**k me.

Absolute Brilliance.

I had massive expectations and they were met 10 fold.

Worked the crowd into a frenzy. EVERYONE who I have spoken too that went loved it.

The guy entertains, appreciates the crowd, makes them happy.

Thats what entertainment is about.

Lights, sound and fireworks were second to none.

Suncorp was stinking hot but everyone loved it anyway.

Let me Entertain had the crowd in an absolute Frenzy.

Took the piss out of the smoking laws and had a smoke on stage.

Worth every cent for the ticket, travel and hotel. Was so stuffed at the end couldnt even hit the town for drinking!

les norton

First Grade
Where did you end up jc?

We got front row in the little area in between the stage and the catwalk.
So very very tired now but still stoked :D

Alex28

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/news/music/let-me--entertain-myself/2006/12/10/1165685550415.html
He is a good singer, a witty and frank lyricist and, thanks to songwriting collaborations with Guy Barlow and Stephen Duffy, he possesses easily the best mainstream pop catalogue of the past decade, from Angels to Advertising Space.

This does not, however, allow him to put on a show as indulgent and selfish as this one.

For starters, the sound was appalling. In my distant eyrie the music's bottom end was boomingly stygian, while the high end may as well have been sent via a cheap loudhailer two suburbs away. (The middle range? It was probably still in the dressing room watching the swimming.)

The poor sonic quality certainly didn't help, but these days we know that ensuring good sound outdoors for the audience is one of the last considerations on the tour checklist. If it's there at all.

My problem was this: while three years ago Williams seemed bored with performing but still sang with gusto, on this night he barely sang half the time, allowing the backing singers, the audience or the music to fill in the gaps.

Yup...sounds like the Herald LOVED it...

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20902094-5001021,00.html
Williams started strongly with Radio and Rock DJ, the latter signalling that the British pop enfant terrible was going to have plenty of competition on the singing front from the crowd.

And he let them sing. And sing. And sing. In fact, the crowd and his six backing vocalists - the Robbie Williams choir - did most of the singing.

And how many songs did Robbie do? By my count, only 16. He started the Australian tour in Perth with 18, then 17 in Adelaide and down to 16 over two hours in Sydney. Sorry but when you have as big a catalogue as Williams does, 16 songs in two hours is a saunter.

Particularly when two of them are taken up by a 30-minute song-and-dance routine with his best mate Johnathan Wilkes who is famous for being Williams' buddy and not much else.

They did Me and My Shadow together (bland) and then pretty much destroyed Strong by insulting the intelligence and devotion of the 50,000 adoring fans by sticking the words on the megascreens. Der, Robbie, we know the bloody words.

Oh, and he did the robot dance a lot which made him look like the try-hard dork at the school disco.

Courtesy of the size of the stadium and the swirling breeze, the sound bounced around for most of the night but that was to be expected.

While most of the audience seemed to love it, I couldn't help but feel like they were getting royally conned by an artist going through the motions.

Would love to see the favourable review mate ;-)

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Mrs Angry took me.

Did not know I would be in corporate box.

The show she liked very much.

I liked my conversations with the Bronco.

I liked Robbie's chant of "WWAARRNNEEYY"

Enjoyable evening.

I am not gay.

miccle

Bench
Went last night with the missus too... had really decent seats in the Eastern stand.

I'm still not at the stage where I could really buy his albums or listen to his music at home, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening. He's a good showman, has a great voice and a pretty tight band working the crowd.

Very enjoyable show, even for someone like me who is not a fan of Williams or most music in the pop genre. I could try to be all indifferent and say it still sucked, but the fact is - I had a ball. Well worth it, and the missus had a fantastic time which is what really counts!

miccle

Bench
HevyDevy said:
So many great bands and here you people are watching some bloke singing.

Hmmmm seen G.Love and Special Sauce, Little Birdy, Ash Grunwald and the Cat Empire in the past 2 months... heading to Woodford Folk Festival, Modest Mouse, Dave Matthews Band and Eric Clapton in the coming months...

Samwise

Bench
Mr Angry said:
Mrs Angry took me.

Did not know I would be in corporate box.

The show she liked very much.

I liked my conversations with the Bronco.

I liked Robbie's chant of "WWAARRNNEEYY"

Enjoyable evening.

I am not gay.

speaking to a bronco? that's totally gay. :lol:

jc155776

Coach
What are you saying? That people shouldnt waste time going to a concert they thoroughly enjoy.

And I was 2 rows from the front of the stage Les where he popped up. Was so f**ken hot and sweaty but worth it all. Had no voice left.

les norton

First Grade
That is the most stupid thing I have ever read...

So dont go to the opera people...just some peoples singing.
or the ballet...is that just some people dancing?

I find it so insulting that you feel like it is your right to tell people A.) that they are wasting the money and time and B.) that your sh!t is better

Alex28

Coach
les norton said:
If you read my post Alex...you would see that I mentioned that the links for saturdays reviews automatically go to sundays reviews now.

I, at least respect you opinion enough to read it.

Robbie wows sydney is the title...does it sound like it is setting up for a bad review?

Oh by the way here is the brissie one...robbie rocked!!
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20925026-3102,00.html
Sorry Les - wrong again mate.

Herald review clearly states the show reviewed is 9 December 2006 - Saturday night. Telegraph review was written 10 December 2006 - so it was reviewed before the show Sunday night?

Or you could just admit the Saturday night show was not good...