What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui Suffers Knee Injury

Stagger Lee

Bench
I hope it is going to stuff up his career. Then I hope his injury is connected to a old one he had at west's which because of a legaly binding clause then cancels his contract at the cowboys and puts him back onto the West's playing roster so they have to release Moltzen to stay under the cap and then Moltzen has to play in France for three years for minnimum contract .... then and only then will Karma be truly a bitch!

Eddie Lab

Juniors
I hope it is going to stuff up his career. Then I hope his injury is connected to a old one he had at west's which because of a legaly binding clause then cancels his contract at the cowboys and puts him back onto the West's playing roster so they have to release Moltzen to stay under the cap and then Moltzen has to play in France for three years for minnimum contract .... then and only then will Karma be truly a bitch!

bitter much?

Charlie124

First Grade
Still scratching my head at why the cowboys signed this grub in the first place :crazy:

You and me both, I thought thompson had a pretty solid year and had finally solved the "halves partner for thurston" problem, then we go and sign this dead beat.

beave

Coach
But Thompson is a better human being than Lui............

I don't get why tiger fans have so much love for Lui, he can't defend for shit. We don't need an attacking halfback with Bowen and JT in the team, all we need is another halves pairing that can pass a bit but defend stoutly, and unless Lui has miraciously learned how to tackle over the offseson, then give me Ray Ray any day of the week. You can't teach someone how to have a heart in defence..........

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I was never debating his conduct off the field.

I think you'll find most Tigers fans don't love Lui at all. I am in the minority but I think it is a shame this guy has so many off-field issues. If he didn't he really could be anything because it is very clear he has alot of talent.

Your statement about not needing an attacking halfback is rubbish. If Ray Thompson was any good I doubt your club would have bought a woman basher who plays in the same position. I heard the same things when Prince left the Tigers, "we don't need an attacking player". We ended up with John Morris and look how that went. Thompson is of that ilk, an athlete, not a footballer. Lui is the opposite.

Last time I checked, halves are not picked based on their defense, they are picked to create points. Lui is may be a liability in defence but so were alot of players in their early days. His defense will only improve, may not ever be a great defender but he doesn't need to be.

timka4

Bench
I agree as well. Both are still very young players.
Thompson for mine hasn't shown much at all, whether that's part of his game plan to feed JT the ball or the time or not, regardless he barely does anything.
Whereas Lui has a man outside him like JT in Benji where he hasn't got too do much but has still done more than Thompson.
Although Lui still for mine hasn't shown a great deal.

beave

Coach
I was never debating his conduct off the field.

I think you'll find most Tigers fans don't love Lui at all. I am in the minority but I think it is a shame this guy has so many off-field issues. If he didn't he really could be anything because it is very clear he has alot of talent.

Your statement about not needing an attacking halfback is rubbish. If Ray Thompson was any good I doubt your club would have bought a woman basher who plays in the same position. I heard the same things when Prince left the Tigers, "we don't need an attacking player". We ended up with John Morris and look how that went. Thompson is of that ilk, an athlete, not a footballer. Lui is the opposite.

Last time I checked, halves are not picked based on their defense, they are picked to create points. Lui is may be a liability in defence but so were alot of players in their early days. His defense will only improve, may not ever be a great defender but he doesn't need to be.

You want to know why we bought Lui? Because they were going to move Thompson to 9 in the near future (Lui's injury might have f**ked the plans up a bit)Payne only signed a one year deal so his days are numbered in first grade, with Bowen in the team we don't need an all out attacking half to partner JT, Ray is alright with the ball and will get better with time, but his defence is excellent and hence why the cowboys don't seem to mind moving him into the middle of the field in defence.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree with the whole thing, I would have preferred to sign Carney and put him at 7, he might be a boozehound but at least he doesn't flog up women at the same time......

elyod138

Bench
Ray Ray had barely played any footy in the two years before last season due to injury. The development of his attacking game has been set back but his attitude is exemplary. He's one of the best small defenders in the NRL and he's extremely tough. I think he will find a spot in the 17 and he could be a potential future captain of the club.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
You want to know why we bought Lui? Because they were going to move Thompson to 9 in the near future (Lui's injury might have f**ked the plans up a bit)Payne only signed a one year deal so his days are numbered in first grade, with Bowen in the team we don't need an all out attacking half to partner JT, Ray is alright with the ball and will get better with time, but his defence is excellent and hence why the cowboys don't seem to mind moving him into the middle of the field in defence.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree with the whole thing, I would have preferred to sign Carney and put him at 7, he might be a boozehound but at least he doesn't flog up women at the same time......

Why would you move Thompson to hooker when you have Segeyaro around?

IMO you bought Lui because Thompson offers next to nothing in attack and you want a player who can take some pressure off JT in the halves.

beave

Coach
Segs is a great little player but he is not ready to be a fulltime hooker just yet, the club seems to want to use him off the bench as an impact hooker, Payne only signed the one year deal very late last year, I think they did that incase they didn't get Lui in the end and needed Ray to stay in the halves, which I guess is now cruelly the case for Lui. It's been hinted up here in the media that the club sees Ray as a hooker, I guess it's because he's a tough little nut.

Payne seems to be on the outer, shame as he has been an amazing servant to the club for 10odd years but with the new crop of NYC boys coming through they need to look to the future.

There's still no word on Lui's injury it seems, they were supposed to release the results today.

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Everyone is making good points here.

North Queensland fans are justified to defend Ray Thompson. He's a local junior, displays tremendous attitude and work ethic, defends stoutly and has displayed glimpses of a promising attacking game. Fair call he's not developed at an express pace, but many Cowboys fans feel he'll be a slow burner and that aspect of his game will come along eventually. Time will tell, but there's every reason to be optimistic.

On the other hand, Lui is a natural playmaker, and it took him no time at all to settle into first grade. He's got fabulous hands that compliment his passing game, and I like the way he moves across the field, it troubles the defense. And there is a point to the argument that, for halves, defense is a secondary priority. Now without going into the his personal life, I can see why the Cowboys wanted him.

Cowboys fans are right to praise Thompson, likewise others with Lui. At the end of the day they are vastly different players and both can bring something to the club. Of course I say all this without regard to an alledged crime that is said to have been committed, which is another matter entirely.

Raider_69

Post Whore
with any luck his busted knee will force him to fall down a flight of stairs and break his neck

shear_joy9

Coach
thompson > lui everyday of the week.

thompson has a tonne of potential and his attacking game will only get better playing with thurston. He also has those characteristics you can't teach like heart and determination. Something lui will never get.

I've never rated lui. His ball playing is over-rated and falls off/shy's away from more tackles than I've ever seen. Plus the guys a piece of shit that belongs in the gutter.

Talanexor

Juniors
I'd prefer Thompson as well. He's gutsy as and has exactly the right attitude for a very long and successful first grade career. His defence is outstanding.

Believe it or not, Thompson has actually had a fair few quality touches that hint at a potentially very good attacking game as well. It just that these touches were few and far between, and it's hard to notice them with Thurston and Bowen in the team. He's got a neat little chip kick and a decent flick pass in him too, a couple of skills that neither Thurston nor Bowen seem to show off very often.

For a young half, he also has a very cool head and keeps his composure. Under pressure situations close to the line, I've seen him roll the ball into the in-goal if there's nothing on. Plenty of young halves - Lui included - would have gone for the low-ercentage hail mary pass, whereas Thompson is happy to take the smart option and keep the defence under pressure.

I think that, in his first season, he performed his role brilliantly. Led the team around the park, defend strongly, give good quick clean ball to Thurston. I also think that he'll be gradually given more and more responsibility as he gets confident in first grade.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
"Heart and determination" - code word for offers nothing in attack.

Thompson is a good defender, much better than Lui, but he doesn't create anything. Not a playmaker in the slightest.

Latest posts