What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rockingham Coastal Sharks

joondalup_giant

Staff member
http://aus.rleague.com/warl/news/index.php?id=14566

Written by: Rod Fielding
Source: Rockingham Raiders
The Rockingham Raiders and the Coastal Cowboys Rugby League clubs are to join forces this year fielding teams from Under 7's to first grade and a women's super tag under 17's and open age teams. The new combined club will, subject to agreement of members, be called the Rockingham Coastal Sharks and will play in the blue and white of NRL club Cronulla Sutherland.

Leading the coaching staff at the Sharks will be Kim Williams who is a former Shellharbour First grade premiership player and the current Australian Rugby League Foundation Coach and Development officer for W.A. Williams was appointed the Raiders coach for 2004 but now finds himself coaching a combined force which should be a force to reckon with.

Reserve grade will be headed by premiership coach and state under 15's coach Danny Bucknell. The third grade coaching position will be advertised and the club is seeking interested people. George Napa will coach the under 18's. Alan Scott will coach the super tag ladies team.

Both clubs have fine histories and it is expected that with the merging of the two clubs that a number of new trophies will line the clubhouse wall come September.

It has been some time, in fact 1993, that the Rockingham area has hoisted a Perth first grade premiership when they narrowly beat Applecross in a thriller, and although making grand finals over the years in the minor grades it has been the Coastal Cowboys who have flown the flag with three third grade premierships. Last years Brothers beat a combined Southern Districts (Raiders and Cowboys) side in the grand final.

The club is running their first training session on the 18th January at Rockingham Oval commencing at 10.00am. A Bar-B-Que will be held after the session and this will give everyone a chance to socialize and discuss the forthcoming season. For more information visit the website www.leaguenet.com.au or phone 0412363213.

Jeffles

Bench
Is this good or bad?

Surely a merger is a sign of declining numbers. On the other hand if it means fielding 1 full team instead of a few half teams then it is good.

Can someone clarify?

joondalup_giant

Staff member
yea, i think the 2 clubs have been "together" for a while but now they've just merged, i dunno it'll just be fun beating a new team next yr :lol:

XXXX

Juniors
yes the numbers are delcining ,but in this situation it makes for a better league .

XXXX

Juniors
" says on the warl site that memberships were up 22% again last year???"

OK ,is that players ,juniors ,seniors ,members or crowds ?
A lot can be done with quoting statistics out of context .
Anecdotal evidence is to the contrary .
Why merge if every is so rosy ?

fieldo

Juniors
Rockingham is experiencing an influx of players........150 juniors approx......40 ladies, and 73 mens.......Only club fielding teams in all grades and two ladies teams.
We also played in the pre-season final so the merger has been very :mrgreen: good for RL in this area.

Prediction: Sharks to contest at least two of the Grand finals in seniors this year. I am bias but I must say I have not seen such spirit in a club since Cottesloe had the good sides in the early 80's........I should know I was there.

Latest posts