What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rohan Smith

PTB

Juniors
Hi there,

I'm a fan of the (London) Broncos and the big news this week is the appointment of Rohan Smith to the assistant coach position.

I understand that he is the son of your current head coach Brian. I was wondering if anyone could please tell me more about him - Is he good? What is his record like? etc.

Any info would be very much appreciated, as I hardly know anything about him!

Thanks in advance.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I could be wrong here!!

I believe Rohan worked at the Warriors under Daniel Anderson as a statasticion [spelling] and has a great knowlege of the game eventhough he's never really played in the highest level.

Quite young as well I believe he may be about 23 or 24!!

strider

Post Whore
I remember a Smithy son running the water bottles one game against the Warriors either last year or the year before.

bartman

Immortal
If he is Smithy's son, he's not owning up!

- - - -
(From http://www.londonbroncos.co.uk/fpstories/fp4194.asp)
SMITH JOINS REA TO ASSIST IN LONDON

London Broncos have appointed Rohan Smith to the position of Assistant Coach for the remainder of the season.

Rohan joins the club from New Zealand Warriors where he was formerly assistant to Daniel Anderson and is set to link up once again with Anderson for the forthcoming Gillette Tri Nations Series in the UK.

RowanSmith150.gif

Head Coach Tony Rea is already impressed with his new assistant: "He's made a good impression early on and I think he will fit in well here at London."

He came to us on solid recommendation from quite a few people he has worked with, both players and coaches. I spoke with Tony (Martin) and he too was happy to say positive things about Rohan."

I'm sure it will work out well for all of us, and if that is to be the case, we will look beyond this season with his appointment."

Rohan commented: "It's a great opportunity for me to get more hands on coaching experience and I am really looking forward to the remainder of the season."

I had heard a lot of good things about the club and I have liked what I have seen so far."

PTB

Juniors
He's definitely his son.

I have found an article saying he has been studying video footage of National Rugby League matches for Anderson during the past two seasons while completing a Bachelor of Science degree at Wollongong University.

bartman

Immortal
There is a family resemblance in the photo, I must say...

His uncle Tony's in Superleague too, these Smiths sure get around!!

Eels Dude

Coach
All I know is Tony Kemp gave him the flick apparently when he took over as head coach of the Warriors.

The Colonel

Immortal
I think anything that smells like DA has been given the flick by Tony Kemp..... hopefully PJ as well. ;-)

strider

Post Whore
True EEL said:
let's just hope for your sake he doesn't have the same ideas as his dad

mmmm, it'd be terrible for the London Broncos to be turned in a team that can make the grand final eh :roll:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Kemp's just a maggot.

No idea about footy.

If the Kiwis are so good, and Australians suck so much - how come is it that we:

* Took a third string side to England last year and beat them 3-nil

* Are the world champions

* Have got the best players in the world (EG: Lockyer, Johns, Fittler, Barrett, Hindmarsh, Tallis, Webcke, O'Meley, Tahu, Lyon, Kennedy, Buderus - they're all Aussie).

bartman

Immortal
strider said:
mmmm, it'd be terrible for the London Broncos to be turned in a team that can make the grand final eh :roll:

Don't think you need to worry there - London's for and against this season is 317 to 644 (-327) from 18 games. That averages out at losing each game by 18 points... :oops:

Iafeta

Referee
Eelementary said:
Kemp's just a maggot.

No idea about footy.

If the Kiwis are so good, and Australians suck so much - how come is it that we:

* Took a third string side to England last year and beat them 3-nil

* Are the world champions

* Have got the best players in the world (EG: Lockyer, Johns, Fittler, Barrett, Hindmarsh, Tallis, Webcke, O'Meley, Tahu, Lyon, Kennedy, Buderus - they're all Aussie).

Where the heck does he say any different about the relative strengths of Australia and New Zealand.... Some factuality, PLEASE!

On your first point, they also took that team to New Zealand and got beaten. Whats your point exactly?

Yep, he has no idea about footy, he won a court case to play in the ARL in the 80s, a landmark decision, he represented the Kiwis in 20 odd tests and has been co-coach to a Grand Final. Good one.

Iafeta

Referee
PTB said:
Hi there,

I'm a fan of the (London) Broncos and the big news this week is the appointment of Rohan Smith to the assistant coach position.

I understand that he is the son of your current head coach Brian. I was wondering if anyone could please tell me more about him - Is he good? What is his record like? etc.

Any info would be very much appreciated, as I hardly know anything about him!

Thanks in advance.

Rohan is definitely Brian's son, there used to be a bit of family banter when the Eels played the Warriors over the past 3 or so years.

Rohan has a sports and recreation degree I believe out of the Uni of Wollongong. He was an assistant coach to Daniel Anderson at the Warriors - his key role was to research video footage of the Warriors up coming opponents and report on possible strategies to exploit that team.

I understand the Broncos are after Karl Te Mata as well, but I hear from an avid source (Goes to most trainings talks to the players etc.) that Karl will stay a Warrior again for 2005.

Iafeta

Referee
Eels Dude said:
All I know is Tony Kemp gave him the flick apparently when he took over as head coach of the Warriors.

He actually resigned from the Warriors a week after Daniel resigned. I guess he had a pretty close working relationship with Ando and didn't like the farce that happened to Ando.

strider

Post Whore
Iafeta said:
Eels Dude said:

He actually resigned from the Warriors a week after Daniel resigned. I guess he had a pretty close working relationship with Ando and didn't like the farce that happened to Ando.

does "resigned" = "was showed where the door is"?

bartman

Immortal
Iafeta said:
Rohan has a sports and recreation degree I believe out of the Uni of Wollongong. He was an assistant coach to Daniel Anderson at the Warriors - his key role was to research video footage of the Warriors up coming opponents and report on possible strategies to exploit that team.

Cool, good luck to him, and Anderson wherever he ends up.

And Price looks good in that Warriors strip ;-)

PTB

Juniors
Just a little update on this story.

London drew today, which ended a 10 match losing run (not a typo - 10 miserable games (and I bet you lot thought the Eels were having a bad season...!)

The game was against Leeds - the Super League leaders - and came only a week after Rohan's appointment.

Coincidence? Maybe, the team was making (gradual) improvements.