What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ron Massey Cup/Sydney Shield 2016

Broncos93

Juniors
St Marys beat Cabra in both grades - 7 tries to 3 in RMC and 6 tries to 2 in SS.

Are St Mary's shaping up to be as big contenders as rumoured? Been hearing they're throwing the cheque book around like there's no tomorrow to assemble premiership winning squads - in both RMC & SS. That Cabra side named earlier wasn't too bad, not a top three or four looking side, but definitely stronger than the past two seasons. To beat them that convincingly it must have been a pretty good St Mary's side.

Haangana will be a huge loss for Cabra. As mentioned his attitude has seemed to stop him from taking his career to higher things, but he was always the one player to keep an eye on when sides went to New Era.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The wenty team against Concord Burwood:

1 Nick Walker
2 Ethan Tangira
3 Buddy Gordon
4 Jake Butler Fleming
5 Roydon Gillett
6 jack Madden
7 Zach Nicholls
8 Andrew Pearn
9 Sam Gorman
10 Mitch Stanfield
11 Stacey Tangira
12 Danny Howard
13 Blake Cook
14 Jordan Galloway
15 Dylan Izzard
16 Mike Lekkas
17 Matt Douglass

2nd half
1 Will Roper
2 Temoci Vatabuli
3 Eli Roberts
4 Wally Tangiti
5 ?
6 Dylan Izzard
7 Cameron Cryer
8 Jai Seymour
9 Jordan Galloway
10 Mike Lekkas
11 Jesse
12 Matt Douglass
13 Adrian Hangana
14 Joulisi Naqitawa
15 Andre Iro

Cheers mate

Joker44

Juniors
Are St Mary's shaping up to be as big contenders as rumoured? Been hearing they're throwing the cheque book around like there's no tomorrow to assemble premiership winning squads - in both RMC & SS. That Cabra side named earlier wasn't too bad, not a top three or four looking side, but definitely stronger than the past two seasons. To beat them that convincingly it must have been a pretty good St Mary's side.

Haangana will be a huge loss for Cabra. As mentioned his attitude has seemed to stop him from taking his career to higher things, but he was always the one player to keep an eye on when sides went to New Era.

100%! St Marys could have come into the comp years ago and competed, they seem to have timed their run to ensure they are well and truly ready. They wouldnt come into either competition without an eye on winning it. I think the signings of former NRL players Nathan Smith, Geoff Daniela and Daniel Penese signifies targets for 2016. In saying that 24 round competitions are a lot harder then A grade 14 round comps.

Last edited:

rightleftin

Juniors
A few more player movements:

Jordan Galloway from Cabra to Wenty
Aaron Teariki from Cabra to Blacktown
Mike Pearsall from Asquith to Mackay Cutters

Joker44

Juniors
Gerard McCallum - Newtown to Hills
Tim Robinson - Newtown/Cronulla to Hills
Moses Manu - Wenty to Hills
Tom Young - Asquith to Hills
Brad Horder - Asquith to Hills
Todd Sartor - Asquith to Hills
Sione Tonga - Windsor to Hills
Lionel O'Malley - Wenty to Hills

Stagger eel

Staff member
Gerard McCallum - Newtown to Hills
Tim Robinson - Newtown/Cronulla to Hills
Moses Manu - Wenty to Hills
Tom Young - Asquith to Hills
Brad Horder - Asquith to Hills
Todd Sartor - Asquith to Hills
Sione Tonga - Windsor to Hills
Lionel O'Malley - Wenty to Hills

Some really good buys there for hills

magpie4ever

First Grade
Thanks, mate.

Might wander over to the Hills v Blacktown trial next weekend, if I find out the time. Believe it's at Mitchell High, Blacktown.

Broncos93

Juniors
Asquith have lost stacks of players. Have they signed any new troops?

I've heard they picked up a back rower from Warriors NSW cup last season, and a former top grader from Storm and Broncos, not sure who though.

Also Adrian Davis from Penrith NSW cup.

That being said, there was a few fringe players last year who could possibly step up to make some places their own. Sam Buttel was Shields best player all last year and held his own when given a chance in Massey. He'll likely take Pearsall's wing spot outside Jeco Makatoa.

rightleftin

Juniors
Trials this Saturday:

RMC

Blacktown v Hills at Mitchell HS 1pm
Wests v Canberra NYC at Kirkham Park, Camden 2pm
Kingsgrove v Wollongong Collegians reserve grade at Collegians 2pm
Concord Burwood v Wollongong Collegians 1st grade at Collegians 4.30pm
Cabra RMC/SS v Western Division U/21 at Carrington Park, Bathurst 2pm
St Marys v Windsor at the Kingsway 4pm
Mounties v Goulburn at Crookwell 6pm

SS

Blacktown v Hills at Mitchell HS 11.15am
Wenty v St Clair A grade aat Darling Street, Greystanes 12pm
St Marys v Peninsula Seagulls at the Kingsway 4pm
Mounties v Goulburn reserve grade at Crookwell 4.30pm

9 RMC teams will be in action and Asquith and Wenty played last week so that leaves only Auburn and Guildford to start.

rightleftin

Juniors
The Mounties SS team playing Goulburn today:

1 Jordan Martin
2 Sam Aiga
3 Louis Vaiotu
4 Blake Ritchie
5 Shannon Chapman
6 Chad Poter
7 Brad Speechley
8 Tepa Tapu Smith
9 Jarrod Brackenhofer
10 Jacob Meyer
11 Joe Napolitano
12 Ben Cahoud
13 Matt whitehouse
14 Tere Glassie
15 Finlay Dibley
16 Jake Fuller
17 Phoenix Vaiotu
19 Sage Wilder
21 Fairouz Ekhander
23 Lokeni Purcell

Half time score: Mounties 42 Goulburn 0

Last edited:

rightleftin

Juniors
The SS trial was finished after 3 quarters with Mounties winning 64-0.

The Mounties RMC team for the trial against Goulburn 1st grade is:

1 Mitch Beggs
2 Gus Aiga
3 Manaia Rudolph
4 Byron Fruean
5 Alofi Mataele
6 Maurice Kennedy
7 Harry Seijka
8 Brandon Raeli
9 Glenn Buttriss
10 Royce Hunt
11 Mitch Kennedy
12 Lou Goodwin
13 Clay Priest
14 Willie Mataka
15 Kurt Robinson
18 Steve Tavita
19 Allen Malea
23 Vinny Ngaro

magpie4ever

First Grade
Dropped into the Blacktown v Hills games, bloody hot.

The Hills S/S seemed to be most new players as most of last years side has moved up to RMC.

Blacktown probably 6-1 in S/S.

About 6 all in RMC. Blacktown seemed to have better attack, 2nd player moves etc. Hills were basically one out.

If I had to say, I would say Hills had better talent over the park.

But, it is only trials (and in heatwave weather).

rightleftin

Juniors
Dropped into the Blacktown v Hills games, bloody hot.

The Hills S/S seemed to be most new players as most of last years side has moved up to RMC.

Blacktown probably 6-1 in S/S.

About 6 all in RMC. Blacktown seemed to have better attack, 2nd player moves etc. Hills were basically one out.

If I had to say, I would say Hills had better talent over the park.

But, it is only trials (and in heatwave weather).

Hills will certainly be competitive in RMC. My count was Hills 24 Blacktown 22 in RMC but only because Blacktown did not shoot for goal when they scored on the full time hooter.

Hills had nothing in SS where I had it as 46-6. When Luke Simpson came on for Blacktown he scored 3 tries in 15 minutes and scored another when he came on in RMC.

The final score in RMC at Crookwell was Mounties 48 Goulburn 6.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Hills will certainly be competitive in RMC. My count was Hills 24 Blacktown 22 in RMC but only because Blacktown did not shoot for goal when they scored on the full time hooter.

Hills had nothing in SS where I had it as 46-6. When Luke Simpson came on for Blacktown he scored 3 tries in 15 minutes and scored another when he came on in RMC.

The final score in RMC at Crookwell was Mounties 48 Goulburn 6.

I think they agreed next try would finish the game as it only went for about 10 minutes (final quarter) - too bloody hot.

Hills will improve in S/S when the RMC squad sends players back (as said, only trials).

Yeah, Luke Simpson went well. What is his background (know he is 1st Australian), looked a fair age (haha, says me), wiry and elusive.

rightleftin

Juniors
I think they agreed next try would finish the game as it only went for about 10 minutes (final quarter) - too bloody hot.

Hills will improve in S/S when the RMC squad sends players back (as said, only trials).

Yeah, Luke Simpson went well. What is his background (know he is 1st Australian), looked a fair age (haha, says me), wiry and elusive.

Simpson may be younger than he looks. He comes from Ballina but played some 7's rugby, winning a Hong Kong club 7's tournament, in the same team as Auburn Warriors half back Arthur Little who played 7's for Australia and had a Waratahs contract in years past.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Wests lost to Canberra at Kirkham today, 18-30. Raiders played really well and Wests definitely need to lift if they're going to be competitive. They did have a few not playing so maybe that's the reason.

Latest posts