What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ronnie the Fullback

fizman

Bench
Before the eligibility debacle Ronnie played Fullback for the QLD Under 18’s.

Stonestreet has shown enough he is ready for First Grade.

Being reliable under the high ball is not enough. I would like to see Ronnie as our No.1 next year for a couple of reasons.

1. He won’t have time to mouth off.
2. It allows Stonestreet a Wing position.
3. He is considered as one of the “Leaders” so having him in a key position is important.
4. I love Will Kennedy, I believe he has hit his ceiling, this is the best he can offer which in my view isn’t enough.

He would need to work on his catching and speed but I believe he has it in him.
A full off season for Stonestreet will also be valuable.

Being reliable under the high ball is not enough. I would like to see Ronnie as our No.1 next year for a couple of reasons.

3. He is considered as one of the “Leaders” so having him in a key position is important.
4. I love Will Kennedy, I believe he has hit his ceiling, this is the best he can offer which in my view isn’t enough.

I have Ison next year at fullback.
Stonestreet replacing Katoa, 2 out of last 3 games Katoa has cost us tries in defence.

DJDL

First Grade

I was going to post something similar.

I’ve been thinking over my preferred 17 for next year, as this was one move I was considering.

Quigs

Immortal
The way mad Ronnie carries the ball when he runs, has it in his outstretched palm, well he would be a nightmare returning the ball from fullback.

I don't know how many times I have seen him lose it, fumble it, when tackled this year.

Chimp

Bench
I really don’t know how anybody watches our team and thinks Kennedy is the issue, or a priority area for improvement.
In the main, our back 5 do their job very very well and are the part of our team who are most consistent, the most elite of our team.
Our biggest issue is between our ears, some players more than others. We have some serious mental midgets who crumble under pressure.

DJDL

First Grade
I really don’t know how anybody watches our team and thinks Kennedy is the issue, or a priority area for improvement.
In the main, our back 5 do their job very very well and are the part of our team who are most consistent, the most elite of our team.
Our biggest issue is between our ears, some players more than others. We have some serious mental midgets who crumble under pressure.

I don't think @fizman is saying that.
But I agree with him 100% that we've seen everything Will has to offer and, at the end of the day, it's really just middle of the road.

He's not a terrible fullback. But it would be nice to have some more strike from there.
Will will be 28 shortly after the season starts next year.
I've posted elsewhere that I think that is the age outside backs are at their use-by date, unless they are absolute elite-level. Sadly, he is just not. So it's time to look to move on.

Meanwhile we've got a guy who's been biding his time to get a run on the wing and pretty much grabbed it with both hands.
He's far from the finished product, but he is on an upward trajectory, coming into his prime years and needs to be played.
The same as Iro earlier this year.
There was plenty of argument in here earlier about moving Sifa to bring him in.
And look at the results it's reaped.
Iro is in the top 2-3 back every week, and Sifa was making a massive impact off the bench when he wasn't being moved around to cover for injuries.
One little move transformed the way we play.

And I think the same thing can happen with fizz's suggested move.

Ronnie has spent time at floating around at the back towards the end of defensive sets, and returning kicks.
He's made quite a few incisive runs and breaks, including what will probably be deemed our try of the year.

I'm more than happy to train him there in the offseason and give him a run.
If it doesn't work, bring in Dykes.
Ronnie back to the wing, and Stonestreet is breathing down Katoa's neck for a spot.

As for the forwards, well some big changes needed there too.

I've got no time for 4 of the guys currently in the 17, with a 5th being eased out but retained for experience/leadership.

This is my 17 for next year:

1. Ronnie
2. Big Sexy
3. Ramien
4. Iro
5. Stonestreet
6. Nicho
7. Trindall
8. AFB
9. Brailey (c)
10. Herb
11. Nikora
12. Teig
13. Sifa

14. Tommy
15. JC
16. Tuku
17. McInnes (there for leadership when the benchies are on)

I don't think we'll get that for round1, but it sure as pharque better be close to the squad mid-way through the year or I'm flying back to give Fitzy a god almighty rochambeauing.

Latest posts