What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rookie hoping for Test berth- Jeremy Smith

Governator

Juniors
Rookie hoping for Test berth
By Adrian Proszenko
April 18, 2006

LITTLE-known half Jeremy Smith will have the perfect platform to press his claims for New Zealand Test selection when he makes his NRL debut for Parramatta against Wests Tigers on Friday night.

Smith is in contention for a berth in the Anzac Test for New Zealand following injuries to gun halves Benji Marshall and Stacey Jones, despite the fact he iss yet to play a top-grade game.

New Zealand coach Brian McClennan has kept tabs on the progress of Smith, 24, indicating he was prepared to pluck him from out of Premier League if his form warranted selection.

Parramatta coach Brian Smith named Smith at five-eighth against the premier due to injuries to P.J. Marsh and Luke O'Dwyer, and a suspension to Mark Riddell, with regular pivot John Morris shifting to hooker.

"I have spoken to Bluey (McClennan), he just wanted to know where I was at," Smith said today.

"He said I was in the picture and if I played well I'd give myself a good shot at playing in the Test.

"I'm passionate about playing for the Kiwis and it would be a dream come true if I was able to do it.

"(McClennan) has got selectors and people watching things, Bluey's a pretty on-to-it man, he knows what's going on and who's playing well.

"No one wants to play reserve grade for the rest of their life ... I always believed that I could play for my country, so hopefully it will work out that way."

Advertisement:
Smith, who is off contract at the end of the year, played in Parramatta's Premier League grand final-winning squad last year, and was one of the best players on the field in the Tri-Nations curtain-raiser between New Zealand A and the Kangaroos Invitational XIII last season.

The Eels will also welcome back barnstorming forward Fuifui Moimoi from suspension.

In other team news, Sydney Roosters half Jamie Soward has been dropped to Premier League following a poor showing against Brisbane on Friday night.

Braith Anasta and Brett Finch will start in the halves, with Roosters coach Ricky Stuart opting to start Craig Wing at hooker against St George-Illawarra.

The Dragons meanwhile welcome back Test front rower Jason Ryles from a hand injury, while 20-year-old backrower Lee Te Maari will make his debut from the bench.

Newcastle has named promising youngster Jarrod Mullen at halfback in place of the injured Andrew Johns, who is out with an ankle injury.

Penrith captain Tony Puletua has been named to play against Brisbane, despite struggling with a rib injury.

And Wests Tigers have named Shannon McDonnell at fullback after captain Brett Hodgson was ruled out for at least three matches today with a broken hand.

AAP

coca-cola

Juniors
its a very tough situation for john morris. if jeremy performs really well it could leave john in limbo. i cant see john being anything more than solid at dummy half, but ultimately i hope they both surprise all of us.

Stagger eel

Staff member
coca-cola said:
its a very tough situation for john morris. if jeremy performs really well it could leave john in limbo. i cant see john being anything more than solid at dummy half, but ultimately i hope they both surprise all of us.

if Jeremy performs well at 6 it will solve our problem there, that's all you have to worry about :)