What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rookies 2008

diab0lik

Juniors
I was wondering if there were any outstanding rookies this year. last year there was folau, inu, sammut, jennings and a few others but 12 games into the season i haven't heard of any rookies setting the nrl on fire. i cancelled my foxtel b4 the season started this year so i havent had a good look at alot of games this year. anyone a lock for rookie of the year?

Bazal

Post Whore
Out of the crop so far, and going on form up until now I'd have to say Matt Keating has looked the best. There really haven't been any absolute standouts....

Big Mick

Referee
If Masada Iosefa or Wade Graham get a run, i'm pretty sure they'll be in the running.

As far as Penrith is concerned I think our best chance is Joseph Paulo.

aqua_duck

Coach
I think there hasn't really been much this year probably as a result of the high number of debutants last year. The rookie crop last year was probably the best we've had for quite a few years

maple_69

Bench
I think Matt Keating has been the best this year. And the only one to really nail a first grade spot fairly consistently. Paulo I think would be a close second although he had a pretty poor game for us against the Cows.

If our guys like Masada, Graham and the Raiders Carney, the Dogs Barba and Souths Sandow don't see First Grade this year I tip a particularly strong crop next year.

Spud

Juniors
Denan Kemp scored 9 tries this year and think could be rookie of the year(played less than 5 games last year). Other than that I suppose Mat Keating is the front runner.

Big Pete

Referee
Don't they have to play less than 5 off the bench? Kemp started all three games (Manly, Penrith, Titans) last year.

It's been a fairly poor year for rookies and I agree with aqua ducks reasoning in that last year with so much talent debuting, it was always going to be hard to get the same kind of calibre with that said...I reckon a few players that will come close will be:

Russell Packer
Matt Keating
Sonny Fai
David Williams
Jordan Atkins (really stretching it here, if he comes back and hits any form he may get it from the hype alone).

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Sonny Fai is starting to improve as he gains more confindence. Packer has made a pretty good start to his NRL career.

mxlegend99

Referee
who would be firts in line for a call up to first grade: wade graham or lachlan coote? do they play the same position?
Wade Graham typically plays at 5/8. But can also play halfback.
Lachlan Coote is a fullback.

Pretty hard to pick who would get a run first out of them... but i'd imagine Lachlan Coote is closer then Wade Graham. That said, most Penrith fans expected Masada Iosefa to be a regular first grade by now.

Raider_69

Post Whore
been a pretty poor year for rookies.
I get the feeling that alot of gun rookies are a season off debuting, i know canberra have a few like that, this season might be bare, but i expect season 2009 and 2010 to well and truely make up for it

If he gets consistant game time and the warriors start winning consistantly, Russell Packer would be my pick at the moment

Caged Panther

First Grade
Pretty hard to pick who would get a run first out of them... but i'd imagine Lachlan Coote is closer then Wade Graham. That said, most Penrith fans expected Masada Iosefa to be a regular first grade by now.

Not really, sure I would have liked him too and think he should be but I don't think I really expected him to appear in firsts till the second half of the season.

Latest posts