What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roos: Mini out- Hunt in

salivor

First Grade
Robster said:
What the hell is with Ricky? I'm going to smash the T.V if he sings the aussie National Anthem.

Why should you care? You've stated that you wouldn't select him even if he was available for NZ so make up your mind.

ChipNChase

Juniors
Karmichael is the hottest thing to hit the land of fullbacks since Billy Slater and will do a stellar job for Oz - All of you misinformed muppets that think otherwise need only glance at the record books to educate yourselves.

He played his first football for South Acacia Ridge in Brisbane, so the talk about eligibility is an absolute no-brainer. This qualified him for the Maroons, and thus the Kangaroos.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Kiwi said:
Yes to a degree NSW have better forwards, but QLD this year have the better backs, and the more in form backs. Can anyone name players in better form than Bell, Hodges, Inglis, Bowen, and Thurston? Even Lockyer is starting to find some form.

Can NSW match a backline that could look like this come origin 1

1 - Bowen
2 - Inglis
3 - Hodges
4 - Bell
5 - Sing/Scnifcofscke/Boyd
6 - Lockyer
7 - Thurston

On current form, minus Johns I say a very big hell no.

One wing spot is the only weakness, the rest is very strong.

There is some serious firepower out wide there, you could put martin bella outside Hodges and Bell on their current form and they'd make him look like Eric Grothe Snr
Can they match that backline? Well they have the Australian back 5 for starters.

1. Minichiello
2. King
3. Cooper
4. Gasnier
5. Tahu

So yes im sure they can match QLD there. Trent Barrett is every bit as good as Locky at 5/8 in Origin. As for halfback, well Orford's form has been as good as Thurston's over the last few weeks. Also, Thurston still has alot to prove in Origin after last years solid series so its not as if he's Alfie Langer and NSW have nothing at HB. QLD do have a slight edge in the halves, but not alot in it. And NSW have the edge in the back 5 IMO.

JJ

Immortal
ChipNChase said:
Karmichael is the hottest thing to hit the land of fullbacks since Billy Slater and will do a stellar job for Oz - All of you misinformed muppets that think otherwise need only glance at the record books to educate yourselves.

He played his first football for South Acacia Ridge in Brisbane, so the talk about eligibility is an absolute no-brainer. This qualified him for the Maroons, and thus the Kangaroos.

As a Kiwi I have no problem with Hunt's decision, I mean FFS we have Brent Webb at fullback who's about as Kiwi as the Queen.

But Hunt's selection surprises me - I'm staggered that he is apparently above Bowen, Wesser, Hornby and Schif (perhaps Slater too). I think he's a great talent, but these guys have done more.

Finally there's no doubt his selection will fire up the Kiwis (who will conveniently overlook Webb), and while we don't win often we do occasionally. I hope you all remember the mess they made of Brad Thorn following his "I wanna be an All Black comments" and the inferred "but not a Kiwi"... could be a fun night!

gregstar

Referee
Kiwi said:
Yes to a degree NSW have better forwards, but QLD this year have the better backs, and the more in form backs. Can anyone name players in better form than Bell, Hodges, Inglis, Bowen, and Thurston? Even Lockyer is starting to find some form.

Can NSW match a backline that could look like this come origin 1

1 - Bowen
2 - Inglis
3 - Hodges
4 - Bell
5 - Sing/Scnifcofscke/Boyd
6 - Lockyer
7 - Thurston

On current form, minus Johns I say a very big hell no.

One wing spot is the only weakness, the rest is very strong.

There is some serious firepower out wide there, you could put martin bella outside Hodges and Bell on their current form and they'd make him look like Eric Grothe Snr
backlines are useless if the forwards can't do the job.

not even a backline with johns, lewis, gasnier, kenny, grothe, churchill in it can do anything behind a beaten pack.

Kiwi

First Grade
Tommy Smith said:
Can they match that backline? Well they have the Australian back 5 for starters.

1. Minichiello
2. King
3. Cooper
4. Gasnier
5. Tahu

So yes im sure they can match QLD there. Trent Barrett is every bit as good as Locky at 5/8 in Origin. As for halfback, well Orford's form has been as good as Thurston's over the last few weeks. Also, Thurston still has alot to prove in Origin after last years solid series so its not as if he's Alfie Langer and NSW have nothing at HB. QLD do have a slight edge in the halves, but not alot in it. And NSW have the edge in the back 5 IMO.

I did say on current form dude, and on current form the QLD backs look red hot. Mini is in ok form, nothing flash when compare to the form Bowen is in despite 1 bad game, King can't comment on, Cooper shouldn't even be in the aussie side, even Gasnier on current form is lucky to be there ahead of Hodges and Bell.

Kiwi

First Grade
gregstar said:
backlines are useless if the forwards can't do the job.

not even a backline with johns, lewis, gasnier, kenny, grothe, churchill in it can do anything behind a beaten pack.

That is true, but qld have the forwards to do a good enough job for the backs to weave their magic.

Petero, Price, Webb, Crocker, Stagg, Thaiday, Ross ect ain't mug forwards, they are all very good, or solid enough to the job needed of them. Sam Thaiday is my bolter for the Qld forwards.

A forward pack of

Petero
Smith
Price
Crocker
Stagg
Harrison

Thaiday
Ross
Webb

Isn't a bad pack at all.

gregstar

Referee
crocker, stagg & harrison are all good players, but they'll definately struggle to contain the blues.

& 'contain' is the absolute best they can hope for, because they certainly won't dominate them.

JJ

Immortal
gregstar said:
crocker, stagg & harrison are all good players, but they'll definately struggle to contain the blues.

& 'contain' is the absolute best they can hope for, because they certainly won't dominate them.

always nothing in origin.

IMO NSW have a huge backrow advantage. Qld a slight edge in props

gregstar

Referee
if mason, bailey, o'meley are in form, they're better than petro & price.

petro, price & bailey are the workhorse consistent type.

mason & o'meley are the x factor. they can destroy teams when in form.

xstasy

Juniors
gregstar said:

YOU KNOW NOTHING. Petereo has been of the best props for ages. Mason was always sh*t so was o'meley. Bailey is probably the only one worth considering and he's going sh*t this year. Plus he plays for the dragons which makes him lower than curled up dogsh*t on the gutter.

1stNov2000

Juniors
Congratz to Hunt the second player of Samoan heritage to represent the Roos after Villasanti. Good to finally see some in the Aussie colours.

JJ

Immortal
gregstar said:

Well, mason generally plays 2nd row, so I was consideringhim there.

Petero has been in great form, and the game time and work that Price gets through provides further options elsewhere... I think Bailey terriific, but in SOO he's done wonderfully from the bench but not starting. Nothing in the front rows, Buderus apart

But the backrow with any of Hindmarsh, Simpson, Kennedy (if available), Menzies, Mason, Creagh, Watmough, Fitzgibbon, O'Donnell, the list goes on....

The_Savage_1

Juniors
1stNov2000 said:
Congratz to Hunt the second player of Samoan heritage to represent the Roos after Villasanti. Good to finally see some in the Aussie colours.

hopefully cutie plays as many games for oz as villasanti did :roll:

JJ

Immortal
The_Savage_1 said:
hopefully cutie plays as many games for oz as villasanti did :roll:

can't help but wonder if both selections weren't designed to prevent them from playing for the Kiwis

Seriously, Villasanti played about 5 good games.

And while Hunt is talented and promising, if he's the best available fullback in Aust, well, pfffttt

tiburon

Juniors
Kiwi said:
That is true, but qld have the forwards to do a good enough job for the backs to weave their magic.

Petero, Price, Webb, Crocker, Stagg, Thaiday, Ross ect ain't mug forwards, they are all very good, or solid enough to the job needed of them. Sam Thaiday is my bolter for the Qld forwards.

A forward pack of

Petero
Smith
Price
Crocker
Stagg
Harrison

Thaiday
Ross
Webb

Isn't a bad pack at all.

Thaiday is a blue isn't he? I thought he was born in Sydney.

kbw

Bench
A joke to say the least, picking Hunt for the Aussies and not because of where he was born, he is terrible especially in defense. Bowen is no better, all he can do is run. (not badly though)

I think Brent Stewart should have gotten a go over him and thats saying something coming from a Bears supporter about a Manly player. :)