What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roos squad named.

innsaneink

Referee
Roos squad named for Kiwi Test
October 11, 2004

THE Australian rugby league team to play New Zealand in the opening Tri Series Test in Auckland on Saturday has been named:

Anthony Minichiello,
Luke Rooney,
Shaun Berrigan,
Willie Tonga,
Matt Sing,
Darren Lockyer (capt),
Craig Gower,
Shane Webcke,
Danny Buderus,
Jason Ryles,
Willie Mason,
Nathan Hindmarsh,
Tonie Carroll.

Interchange:
Craig Wing,
Petero Civoniceva,
Ben Kennedy,
Andrew Ryan.

18th man: Shaun Timmins.

I like Berrigan but due to inconsistency and injuries, there is no way he should be there ahead of Cooper or even Tate. Don't get me started on Carroll... :roll:

Other than that, a pretty solid team.

Dogaholic

First Grade
The team is a disgrace! the best Prop forward all year isn't anywhere to be seen.

where the hell is SHREK?? He deserves his spot in the team! What does he have to do to get in there?

Oh ... I completely forgot about O'Meley... and Petrol 5centsalitre got on the bench ahead of him? Talk about favouritism.

Dogaholic

First Grade
How the hell did Ryles and Webcke get picked infront of him? <<<both are great players, but the ogre deserves the starting spot.

munro200

Juniors
I was surprised that Tate didn't get a centre spot, personally I think he is better than Tonga, and I thought he would be better 2-3 years down the track and will probably be a permanent fixture in the side

Leagueguy

Juniors
Berrigan should definately be there. He is extremely strong, very quick of the mark, skillful , runs well off lockyer and tries extremely hard. He is the most penetrating centre in the game. Who is better? Caroll also deserves a spot there. He is the games best defender. No one hits as consistently as he does. He works hard and is a good gap runner.

This coach is as worse as the last one.

Shrek not in the team is a disgrace and Tonie Carroll how he is in the squad let alone this team is beyond me.

SACK the idiot bennett now!!!!

miketyson

Juniors
Its a Dogs World said:
How the hell did Ryles and Webcke get picked infront of him? <<<both are great players, but the ogre deserves the starting spot.

Yeah Id agree with that ..

Im a St.George supporter but I would have thought o'mealy would be the first one picked..

How the f**k is civo even in the squad let alone the starting lineup?

Mr Saab

Referee
before EVERYONE jumps to conclusions does ANYONE know why Omeley was not picked? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
He may have an injury...anyone thought of that? :roll:

miketyson

Juniors
Yeah maybe ..

But Cooper is fit , He played the other night and berrigan got picked in front of him which is a joke ..

:roll:

Mr Saab

Referee
miketyson said:
Yeah maybe ..

But Cooper is fit , He played the other night and berrigan got picked in front of him which is a joke ..

:roll:

would berrigan being picked be as bad as Phil Bailey being picked on last yrs tour in the 1st test? I think not.
Cooper is no Renouf/McGregor/Mal/ET..

The Colonel

Immortal
Four Roos to debut
October 11, 2004

FOUR players are set to make their debuts for Australia in the opening Tri Nations rugby league Test against New Zealand in Auckland on Saturday.

Coach Wayne Bennett today named a Kangaroos team for the match which included uncapped players in Bulldogs centre Willie Tonga and backrower Andrew Ryan, Penrith winger Luke Rooney and Brisbane lock Tonie Carroll.

However Tonga is battling a calf muscle injury and will be monitored during the week with St George Illawarra's Matt Cooper on standby to replace him.

Roosters backrower Craig Fitzgibbon was not considered from the Australian squad because of a shoulder injury.

Carroll is set to play against the country he represented at the last World Cup in 2001.

Anthony Minichiello, Luke Rooney, Shaun Berrigan, Willie Tonga, Matt Sing, Darren Lockyer (capt), Craig Gower, Shane Webcke, Danny Buderus, Jason Ryles, Willie Mason, Nathan Hindmarsh, Tonie Carroll. Interchange: Craig Wing, Petero Civoniceva, Ben Kennedy, Andrew Ryan.

18th man: Shaun Timmins.

AAP

O'Meley not named as being injured while Fitzgibbon was. Blows your theory Charlie..... ;-)

Favouritism at its best...... :clap:

Special K

Coach
O'Meley should be there.

Berrigan and Tonga - best centres Australia has had for ages. Berrigan will cut them up with Lockyer and Tonga has been the man this season.

If Cooper was to be in the team it should be on the ring rather than Rooney.

Mr Saab

Referee
happened with Bob Fulton and Terry Hill on the Roos Tour of 1994
Happened with Chris Anderson and Kimmorley over Johns a few times
Happened with Chris Anderson and Phil Bailey last yr.
Happened with Phil Gould and the dropping of Andrew Ryan

Welcome to coaching Bias...happened in the past, happens in the present, and will happen in the future. Get USED to it.

innsaneink

Referee
I think Minichiello should appreciate this tour, I feel it may be his last.

Bowen is breathing down his neck at international level, while Hodgson and Hornby similarly for state.

Your on the way out Mini :arrow: ....maybe even before this tours over.