What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters 5 Classic Matches Pack...

axl rose

Bench
Wish Fox would replay more old semis rather than just Grand Finals. Would love to see the 2002 semi vs Brisbane.

axl rose

Bench
Oh.

As I recall, there was talk of a pre-season game which some were calling a Super Bowl, but it fell through.

Ended up being Manly vs Brisbane instead round 1, with Harrigan/News Ltd stitching up Manly royally.

Last edited:

Von

Juniors
I remember Toovey saying to Harrigan, after being continually penalised, "it's one competition now Bill!!"

axl rose

Bench
I remember Toovey saying to Harrigan, after being continually penalised, "it's one competition now Bill!!"

I remember Alan Jones calling Harrigan a cheat after the match and being sued for $100,000 for defamation by Hollywood. The penaltys against Manly ended up around 20.

The biggest News Ltd stitch up came later that year though when they gave Brisbane a home semi vs Roosters after it was scheduled for SFS. They changed it mid week. This was after Brisbane had lost vs Parra and Roosters had already played two away semis.

Last edited:
I remember Alan Jones calling Harrigan a cheat after the match and being sued for $100,000 for defamation by Hollywood. The penaltys against Manly ended up around 20.

The biggest News Ltd stitch up came later that year though when they gave Brisbane a home semi vs Roosters after it was scheduled for SFS. They changed it mid week. This was after Brisbane had lost vs Parra and Roosters had already played two away semis.

It was all because of how the NRL had marketed tickets to the semis that year. If Brisban had won in week 1 that year there would have been no problem, the Broncs would have been at home. However Brisbane lost to Parramatta in the first week putting them on our side of the finals draw. The NRL had marketed the Finals tickets to ANZ Stadium, Brisbane for weeks 2 and 4 of that year;s fianls series as "come watch the Broncos" hence why they switched it.

How do I know this? I had a mate who worked at the NRL at the time who told me about it. If you don't believe me, that's your problem, not mine :BDH:

Was not right though. I was one of the people who took the "bus trip from hell" from Easts Leagues up and back to watch the game....but that is another story (and off topic too).

H.H

Juniors
It was all because of how the NRL had marketed tickets to the semis that year. If Brisban had won in week 1 that year there would have been no problem, the Broncs would have been at home. However Brisbane lost to Parramatta in the first week putting them on our side of the finals draw. The NRL had marketed the Finals tickets to ANZ Stadium, Brisbane for weeks 2 and 4 of that year;s fianls series as "come watch the Broncos" hence why they switched it.

How do I know this? I had a mate who worked at the NRL at the time who told me about it. If you don't believe me, that's your problem, not mine :BDH:

Was not right though. I was one of the people who took the "bus trip from hell" from Easts Leagues up and back to watch the game....but that is another story (and off topic too).
Well you may as well tell that story too - sounds potentially interesting.

axl rose

Bench
It was all because of how the NRL had marketed tickets to the semis that year. .

The game pulled only 20,000 at ANZ in Brisbane anyway. No doubt having the other Dogs Eels semi at SFS was in the best interests of the game/News Ltd. As for the fairness...

Shire Boy

Juniors
I know the game you mean.

I was only 3 at the time, but when I was older I had a book my Dad bought me called "Rugby League's Greatest Games"...and this was one of the games highlighted...the headline to it was - "The day it rained tries".

There was a also a greatest player book and I must've read them each about 15 times.

Footage from that era,is very difficult to find,there is no ch 7 footage from 1974 around,but there is a handful of ABC TV games out there

The game pulled only 20,000 at ANZ in Brisbane anyway. No doubt having the other Dogs Eels semi at SFS was in the best interests of the game/News Ltd. As for the fairness...

The schedule for the finals that year was fixed, there was supposed to be no changes to it. The NRL only changed it because of the Broncos. Nothing to do with Buddlogs nor the Eels and they said as such. Hence Roosters supporters had for over a week expecting we'd be playing a GF Qualifier at the SFS to then be told "no, you are now playing at ANZ in Brisbane" after our team had earned (under the finals set up of the time) to play it in Sydney.

Thus for those, like me, who could not afford to but last minute airline tickets and book a hotel room to fly to Brisbane, the club put on a low cost price option - the bus. We had 2 bus loads travel up to ANZ Stadium, we left Friday night from Easts Leagues. We got to Brisbane around mid-day Saturday (havoing stopped off for breakfast en route) and were dropped off at ANZ Stadium. The bus drivers went off to rest as they would be driving us back to Sydney later that night.

Twas a stinkling hot day in Brisbane thaty day, and our seats were in the grand stand on the eastern side of the ground. That grand stand, built for the 1982 Commonwealth games had aluminium flooring, so it was like sitting on a hot plate during the lower grade games. Most of us spent the time under the stand staying out of the sun to keep cool.

As to the game, the Roosters got hammered. We had Freddy play injured and had 2 major injuries in the first 10 minutes to boot. Brisbane though were, in my opinion, the best team in the comp that year.

We had been told by a staff member of the Roosters who'd traveled up on the bus with us that arrangements had been made with the Broncos so that after the game we would be able to gain admittance to the QEII Sports Bar (which was located under the western grade stand) as the bus drivers had to have a mandatory 8 hour break before they could drive us back to Sydney. When we got to the entrance (after having soke bad crowd experiences where grown adults were threatening, pushing and shoving the women and kids who were in our group) the staff of the bar knew nothing about the arrangemenbts and at first refused us admission.

After some persuasion then they would let the adults in but not the kids. Considering what had happened on the walk around to the bar it was unacceptable. Thus we had to go find our liaision from the Rooster (getting him out of the dressing room) to come sort it out. We eventually got in. Even then we still had dolts who couldn't resist hurling further abuse at us. We said nothing yet we got abused just for waking past. The people I were with were not the kind that, even had we won, would have said anything to anyone else at all.

Then at around 8pm the buses came and picked us up for the long drive back to Sydney. We got back to Easts Leagues Club at Bondi mid-morning on Sunday. All very dejected and all very tired.

H.H

Juniors
The schedule for the finals that year was fixed, there was supposed to be no changes to it. The NRL only changed it because of the Broncos. Nothing to do with Buddlogs nor the Eels and they said as such. Hence Roosters supporters had for over a week expecting we'd be playing a GF Qualifier at the SFS to then be told "no, you are now playing at ANZ in Brisbane" after our team had earned (under the finals set up of the time) to play it in Sydney.

Thus for those, like me, who could not afford to but last minute airline tickets and book a hotel room to fly to Brisbane, the club put on a low cost price option - the bus. We had 2 bus loads travel up to ANZ Stadium, we left Friday night from Easts Leagues. We got to Brisbane around mid-day Saturday (havoing stopped off for breakfast en route) and were dropped off at ANZ Stadium. The bus drivers went off to rest as they would be driving us back to Sydney later that night.

Twas a stinkling hot day in Brisbane thaty day, and our seats were in the grand stand on the eastern side of the ground. That grand stand, built for the 1982 Commonwealth games had aluminium flooring, so it was like sitting on a hot plate during the lower grade games. Most of us spent the time under the stand staying out of the sun to keep cool.

As to the game, the Roosters got hammered. We had Freddy play injured and had 2 major injuries in the first 10 minutes to boot. Brisbane though were, in my opinion, the best team in the comp that year.

We had been told by a staff member of the Roosters who'd traveled up on the bus with us that arrangements had been made with the Broncos so that after the game we would be able to gain admittance to the QEII Sports Bar (which was located under the western grade stand) as the bus drivers had to have a mandatory 8 hour break before they could drive us back to Sydney. When we got to the entrance (after having soke bad crowd experiences where grown adults were threatening, pushing and shoving the women and kids who were in our group) the staff of the bar knew nothing about the arrangemenbts and at first refused us admission.

After some persuasion then they would let the adults in but not the kids. Considering what had happened on the walk around to the bar it was unacceptable. Thus we had to go find our liaision from the Rooster (getting him out of the dressing room) to come sort it out. We eventually got in. Even then we still had dolts who couldn't resist hurling further abuse at us. We said nothing yet we got abused just for waking past. The people I were with were not the kind that, even had we won, would have said anything to anyone else at all.

Then at around 8pm the buses came and picked us up for the long drive back to Sydney. We got back to Easts Leagues Club at Bondi mid-morning on Sunday. All very dejected and all very tired.

Yeah sounds like you earned your stripes as a fan that day. Nothing worse than a-hole opposition fans giving it to you like that after a belting.

Knightmare

Coach
Good question.

Following the theme of other set...

R1 1988 vs. Manly - First ever game and can count as the flogging of the set.

R14 1990 vs. Canberra - The forgotten gem on the set. I believe there's highlights of this game on YouTube and it's well worth a look. For once both teams were at full strength and in the end it was the Broncos in the dying stages pulling out the victory.

R12 2002 vs. Tigers - The cult favourite game. As much as that tag annoys me and everyone the 'baby' Broncos is one of the best stories this club has.

Prelim Final 06 vs. Bulldogs - Obviously one of the club's greatest moments. A fantastic comeback started by a fantastic former Rooster Justin Hodges.

Semi Final 2011 vs. St George Illawarra - The final game for arguably the club's greatest player. A dramatic game with a fantastic finish.

I had so many games I had to erase.
R8 92 vs. Knights
98 Superbowl vs. Knights
R7 02 vs. Knights
R19 vs. Melbourne - First golden point win

etc. etc.

I really liked the inclusion of the pre-season cup highlights. In saying, I was disappointed with the set. I had big expectations and was disappointed to discover it tried to name a best moment for each year as opposed to being the best moments in general.

Somehow, finals wins against the Titans or our first win at Suncorp don't strike me as better moments than our 93 or 06 Prelim.

I reckon you guys just got dudded - the Tigers set includes the R1 2000 draw. Mind you, that was also their inaugural game.

As a Broncos fan, I reckon I'll need this set sooner than later - shocking!

I have that Round 1, 1988 game on tape (including ads and post-match interview with Wally Lewis) if you're interested in me burning a copy for you...

Big Pete

Referee
I have that Round 1, 1988 game on tape (including ads and post-match interview with Wally Lewis) if you're interested in me burning a copy for you...

Ah I just saw this.

Really appreciate the offer but apparently the Broncos essential set which will be released early next year will include it.

Thanks again, if you happen to have any ol' Broncos v. Knights tapes I'd definitely be interested in a copy.

Shame they only post wins. Would have loved to watch the Draw vs the Warriors again. Was an amazing game to be at

Another great game I remember that was a draw was Easts v Saints at Kogarah in 86 a 22-22 draw. A few of the Henson wins of 87 and the classic comeback against Parra at the SCG I would love to see again as well.

A couple of bits of trivia in regards to that day. The current Roosters logo was designed on the bus coming back from that match by the afore mentioned liason person.

To this day we are still the only side to have played in 6 cities in 6 weeks consecutively.

Gold Coast in Wagga
Balmain at Leichhardt
Illawarra Wollongong
Melbourne in Melbourne
Newcastle in Newcastle
Brisbane in Brisbane.

Was long and weary 6 weeks for the fans let alone the players.

On the note from the Broncos fans, just had a look at the game list for the Broncos 5-pack. Yet, doesn't include the intial 1988 game as there is apparently no full footage. Thought I've seen it before..

Headless Chook

Juniors
For those who may not be aware;

There's a surprising number of our games on YouTube, esp from 1987.

One memorable one is the match against the Sharks from '87. Salvo put in a MoM effort in his first grade debut. Great solo effort from Joe Lydon as well.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5oGFRa2YE-I

There's also the full major semi final against the Dogs from 1980. Sadly we lost that one but worthy of revisiting just for the commentary and for remembering how the game was played back then.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1s6k0X8Z27U&desktop_uri=/watch?v=1s6k0X8Z27U

In Easts We Trust.

Latest posts