What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters dump Newtown Jets

jack coburn

Juniors
i cant believe souths didnt do this after already being in bed with norths. probably a smart move by the roosters with big numbers of players not linked to any club.

RWB

Bench
Disappointing but will still go down to Jets games and support the club. The affiliation has been a great one over the years & I love going down to Henson park.

It's a shame I'd always held hope that the affiliation could become even strong by uniting the Netwown junior clubs with the Easts ones to make a competition but it seems that dream is long gone now.

Here's hoping they find another club to affiliate themselves with.

Technique

Juniors
its their prerogative to do as they please with their feeder system
they dont owe Newtown anything and they aren't obliged to continue the assosiation if they think another option is best for their footy club

what's the problem?
I can't help but agree with this -- The Roosters have done little to no wrong -- but it still leaves a bit of a sour taste. It was announced quite a while ago now that the Roosters were attempting to tap into the Central Coast area which I think is great, but given that they must have known this was at least a possibility, so some consultation with the Jets would not have gone astray.

article said:
The move is a bitter blow for Newtown, who rejected overtures to link with Melbourne in the belief its association with the Roosters would continue. The Storm have subsequently locked in Easts Brisbane as their partner of choice.

I think this is the only problem I have with it, really.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Disappointing but will still go down to Jets games and support the club. The affiliation has been a great one over the years & I love going down to Henson park.

It's a shame I'd always held hope that the affiliation could become even strong by uniting the Netwown junior clubs with the Easts ones to make a competition but it seems that dream is long gone now.

I had hoped they would join at all levels...

It seemed like a good fitbetween the clubs and its the only way i could imagine the old Bluebag jersey back in first grade.

moga

Juniors
Stroke of genius by Uncle Nick, Increased Memberships and Junior development will ensure Easts future. Well Done Politis.

bluebag43

Juniors
Very disappointing!

BUT it was a great 9 years!

Newtown will survive, my only hope is that it is still at the NSW Cup level.

This is where the heavy weights of Rugby League that bang on about the game and history needs to stand up and support Newtown financially in the NSW Cup. (ie0 a bigger grant than all the big NRL clubs NSW Cup teams get) No one would begrudge that.

Newtown should also be given a spot in Matty's Cup and SG Ball.

All the good players who miss out with the other clubs can play for us. That would also make us more attractive to another NRL club. They would have two junior rep teams to recruit from!

moga

Juniors
The Sydney Roosters wish to advise that the club’s primary affiliation with NSW Cup side, the Newtown Jets, will conclude at the end of the 2014 season.
The Roosters have enjoyed a successful partnership with the Newtown Jets for the last nine seasons, however further to the club’s formation of an alliance with the entire Central Coast Division Rugby League earlier this year, the Roosters are pursuing the formalisation of an agreement with the Wyong Rugby League Club Group whereby they will be the club’s feeder side in the NSWRL Cup in 2015 going forward.
This proposal complements the club’s strategy in linking with the region to provide a complete pathway program to the NRL. The Roosters club also has a presence in the area via the Easts Group’s ownership of Woy Woy Leagues Club.
The Sydney Roosters wish fellow foundation club, the Newtown Jets, continued success, and will advise members and supporters of further information regarding this proposal in due course.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
^^^

Its a fantastic move from a Roosters and broader NRL perspective, just a shame it might mean the end of Newtown in NSW Cup for a while...

A Stray Alien

Juniors

What newtown junior clubs newtown has not been a junior affiliated District since the 80s

Mr Chook

Juniors
I'm an Old Boy Wyong Roo from the late '80 and early '90's. My old man was on the board and club president of Wyong RLFC for a number of years too. On the surface it would seem a perfect match for a Chooks and Roos fan like myself but I feel a bit hesitant about the whole situation.

Below is a post I made on another footy forum about this...

"It's interesting. I can see the logic behind it for the Roosters. The Central Coast is one of Australia's fastest growth areas. I think the population has almost doubled in size in the last 20 years and its hasn't slowed yet. There are thousands of kids up there playing jnr footy compared to a very small amount in the Newtown area, which I think could fall under Souths jnr region anyway.

Does this mean the final demise of one of our original Foundation Clubs in the Jets? I hope not but it doesn't sound good does it?

When Wyong first applied to play in NSW Cup the board were adamant they wanted to go it alone and the last thing they wanted was to be a feeder club for an NRL team. They wanted Wyong jnrs to have a great chance to represent their area and at a high level instead of being denied an opportunity by an NRL clubs reserve graders clogging up the top grade.
Behind probably Tweed Heads and Wests Newcastle, Wyong DRLFC would be the richest club in regional NSW and can easily afford to go it alone in NSW Cup. It now seems we have changed our tune. It's probably the right thing to do so we can remain competitive in NSW Cup but we should be cautious that the Roosters don't overrun our great club and that Wyong can still call the shots on their future moving forward."

The Newtown junior clubs were farmed out back in the 80's. The ones that I know are still around are Earlwood Saints in the St George comp and Camperdown Dragons playing in the Souths Juniors comp. The majority having fallen by the wayside.

Well Newtown chalked up an amazing win today against Penrith. Down 30-6 with around 25 minutes left in the match, they won 31-30 with Penrith missing a field goal at the death as the hooter sounded.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The Newtown junior clubs were farmed out back in the 80's. The ones that I know are still around are Earlwood Saints in the St George comp and Camperdown Dragons playing in the Souths Juniors comp. The majority having fallen by the wayside.

Why didn't the jets relocate to say south west sydney or the central coast instead of falling out of the premiership alltogether back in the day?

Why didn't the jets relocate to say south west sydney or the central coast instead of falling out of the premiership alltogether back in the day?

They did try to move to Campbelltown as the New Campbelltown Jets. Basically what happened was Kevin Humphreys as chairman of the NSWRL, called in a loan from Newtown which the previous administration hadwwritten off. Newtown then bought up the Campbelltown option, but were knocked back as Wests (who were also being threatened with being kicked out of the comp), took up that option as they had the means to finance it (and other things if you ask certain people).

As a result, Newtown were ejected from the competition until the first season of the Metro Cup (now the Ron Massey Cup).

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
The Roosters wanted to continue the relationship with Newtown, however NRL rules stipulate NRL clubs can only have one feeder club. The Roosters had already engaged into a partnership with Wyong juniors as part of an NRL initiative for each NRL club to partner with a country junior area. What forced the Roosters hand was that Cronulla had tried a sneaky bid (not blaming them) to get into a partnership with Wyong to be their NSW Cup feeder club.

This would have led to a situation where the Roosters were tipping in money into Wyong juniors for these players to progress to Cronulla senior players in the NSW Cup. As a result the Roosters quickly entered into the arrangement with Wyong NSW Cup and then when the Roosters asked if we could keep Newtown, the NRL said no (rules are rules so no complaints). Unfortunate for Newtown but the Roosters have imo done what is best for the long term future of its club which it should always be doing.

The Roosters wanted to continue the relationship with Newtown, however NRL rules stipulate NRL clubs can only have one feeder club. The Roosters had already engaged into a partnership with Wyong juniors as part of an NRL initiative for each NRL club to partner with a country junior area. What forced the Roosters hand was that Cronulla had tried a sneaky bid (not blaming them) to get into a partnership with Wyong to be their NSW Cup feeder club.

This would have led to a situation where the Roosters were tipping in money into Wyong juniors for these players to progress to Cronulla senior players in the NSW Cup. As a result the Roosters quickly entered into the arrangement with Wyong NSW Cup and then when the Roosters asked if we could keep Newtown, the NRL said no (rules are rules so no complaints). Unfortunate for Newtown but the Roosters have imo done what is best for the long term future of its club which it should always be doing.
Not sure that can be true, since the Qld teams all have at least two feeder teams, as do the Storm. Might be a NSWRL stance however.

greg

Juniors
Not sure that can be true, since the Qld teams all have at least two feeder teams, as do the Storm. Might be a NSWRL stance however.
If it is a NSW stance it has to change. Show some balls NSWRL and actually do something to preserve a bit of your history. I'm sure most league fans feel the same.