What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters invade "Key area"

drake

First Grade
I was reading in yesterdays Mercury that Sydney Roosters have made a deal with Berkeley Sports Club and now they are under the Roosters umbrella of junior clubs. Sydney Roosters are now running a coaching clinic in thecentre of the Illawarra.

For those that don't know, Berkeley is a little south west of Wollongong CBD, on the shores of Lake Illawarra.

Nice work of St George Illawarra to let a rival club to make inroads into their territory.

What's next; Kogarah Renown a junior club for the Bulldogs?

Since the Mercury doesn't post their articles up for free, and I'm a cheapskate, the closest link I could find was http://www.sydneyroosters.com.au/season2005/upcomingevents.php?EventID=100056

Berkeley Sports Club Coaching Clinic
Event Start: Tuesday, January 17, 2006, 08:30AM
dottedline.gif

The Berkeley Sports Club Kids Coaching Clinic will be bigger and better next year with an all-day event for eager fans to enjoy. The new and exciting format will see the 2006 Sydney Roosters first grade squad train at Berkeley Sports Club for the first time, plus the annual Kids Coaching Clinic, autograph session and BBQ lunch.

The day will be jam packed
· 8.45am Sydney Roosters Open Training Session
· 11.00am Kids Coaching Clinic
· 12.30pm Autograph Session
· 1.30pm Sausage Sizzle BBQ Lunch

Plus every participant will receive a great show bag packed full of Schweppes drinks, Kellogg’s surprise, Samsung gift, and other great Rooster’s stuff. Best of all every kid has the chance to WIN an XBOX.

The Sydney Roosters Official merchandise store, Roosters Central will be operating on the day stocked with the latest gear, including jerseys, caps, shirts, flags and many other great gifts.

More Information
Tickets for the coaching clinic go on sale 1 January, with Berkeley Sports Club members having exclusive access to tickets until 13 January 2006. Tickets will then be open to the general public (subject to availability).

Tickets are just $2 with all profits donated to ARL Development to help fund junior rugby league in our community. Hurry as tickets are strictly limited to 350 at the Coaching Clinic!

If you miss out on a ticket you are still more than welcome to come along and watch the Sydney Roosters team train.

For more information check out the official Roosters website under events at www.sydneyroosters.com.au or phone Berkeley Sports Club on 4260 7000.

Berkeley Sports Club
5 Wilkinson Street, Berkeley

Just great, now I get to see even more kids on the Rorters bandwagon.

Steelers4eva

Juniors
Drake

The deal with Easts/Berkeley Sports was done a few years ago now. The coaching clinic/fan days have been going for the same amount of time. They generally don't hold back thier stars and have sent thier top squad at different times, including Freddie, Wing etc. They are usually packed and last years day had people turned away. I have been involved in my local club, Port Kembla (just over the hill from Berkeley) for 25 years and have never seen this level of involvement by any NRL team (Dragons or Steelers) in our area like it. The Roosters are really pushing the PR to the limit in the heart of Dragons territory. But the dipsh*ts that run our local comp sit back and take it up the a*se and don't have the balls to show that sort of initiative.:?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
A brutal assessment Steelers4eva. Sounds like you're in the right possie to know.

Do you know if they're getting any assistance from the so-called 'Dragons' development officers who are local to the area?

drake

First Grade
Steelers4eva said:
Drake

The deal with Easts/Berkeley Sports was done a few years ago now. The coaching clinic/fan days have been going for the same amount of time. They generally don't hold back thier stars and have sent thier top squad at different times, including Freddie, Wing etc. They are usually packed and last years day had people turned away. I have been involved in my local club, Port Kembla (just over the hill from Berkeley) for 25 years and have never seen this level of involvement by any NRL team (Dragons or Steelers) in our area like it. The Roosters are really pushing the PR to the limit in the heart of Dragons territory. But the dipsh*ts that run our local comp sit back and take it up the a*se and don't have the balls to show that sort of initiative.:?

Thanks for clarifying it Steelers4eva, I didn't know it was going on for years. It goes to show how much assumption is being made by the Dragons.

There is no reason why the Roosters, or any other team with a skinny junior base won't make deals with clubs in our regions.

It's good that an NRL club is getting behind junior Rugby League in a major way in the St George or Illawarra regions, it's just a damn shame that it's not St George Illawarra that's doing it.

BTW I live in Shellharbour, so's I know where Port Kembla is.

That's where the ladies of the night work ;-)

Steelers4eva

Juniors
Willow said:
A brutal assessment Steelers4eva. Sounds like you're in the right possie to know.

Do you know if they're getting any assistance from the so-called 'Dragons' development officers who are local to the area?

The local comp is looked after by a bloke called Felgate along with a board of management. Once in a blue moon they manage to get a few of the Dragons (as in 2 or 3 at a time) and send them out to a local club in the area. If possbile they send out someone who actually had something to do with the club in the past i.e. a junior etc, but I remember about 3 years back we got Wise Katevarata (sic ?) and 2 other nevilles. They come out for a couple of hours, run through some drills and games, hop back in the van and are gone again. Now I'm not saying they should send out the entire squad to each individual club one-by-one but the effort they have shown in the past pales into significance with the fan day the Bondi Cigars put on out at Berkeley.

Steelers4eva

Juniors
drake said:
That's where the ladies of the night work ;-)

I wouldn't describe them as 'ladies' or 'of the night'. You can pass half a dozen of the skanky rodents on your way up to Macs Pies at lunchtime. ;-)

Southernsaint

Staff member
drake said:
I was reading in yesterdays Mercury that Sydney Roosters have made a deal with Berkeley Sports Club and now they are under the Roosters umbrella of junior clubs. Sydney Roosters are now running a coaching clinic in thecentre of the Illawarra.

For those that don't know, Berkeley is a little south west of Wollongong CBD, on the shores of Lake Illawarra.

Nice work of St George Illawarra to let a rival club to make inroads into their territory.

What's next; Kogarah Renown a junior club for the Bulldogs?

Since the Mercury doesn't post their articles up for free, and I'm a cheapskate, the closest link I could find was http://www.sydneyroosters.com.au/season2005/upcomingevents.php?EventID=100056

Berkeley Sports Club Coaching Clinic
Event Start: Tuesday, January 17, 2006, 08:30AM
dottedline.gif

The Berkeley Sports Club Kids Coaching Clinic will be bigger and better next year with an all-day event for eager fans to enjoy. The new and exciting format will see the 2006 Sydney Roosters first grade squad train at Berkeley Sports Club for the first time, plus the annual Kids Coaching Clinic, autograph session and BBQ lunch.

The day will be jam packed
· 8.45am Sydney Roosters Open Training Session
· 11.00am Kids Coaching Clinic
· 12.30pm Autograph Session
· 1.30pm Sausage Sizzle BBQ Lunch

Plus every participant will receive a great show bag packed full of Schweppes drinks, Kellogg’s surprise, Samsung gift, and other great Rooster’s stuff. Best of all every kid has the chance to WIN an XBOX.

The Sydney Roosters Official merchandise store, Roosters Central will be operating on the day stocked with the latest gear, including jerseys, caps, shirts, flags and many other great gifts.

More Information
Tickets for the coaching clinic go on sale 1 January, with Berkeley Sports Club members having exclusive access to tickets until 13 January 2006. Tickets will then be open to the general public (subject to availability).

Tickets are just $2 with all profits donated to ARL Development to help fund junior rugby league in our community. Hurry as tickets are strictly limited to 350 at the Coaching Clinic!

If you miss out on a ticket you are still more than welcome to come along and watch the Sydney Roosters team train.

For more information check out the official Roosters website under events at www.sydneyroosters.com.au or phone Berkeley Sports Club on 4260 7000.

Berkeley Sports Club
5 Wilkinson Street, Berkeley

Just great, now I get to see even more kids on the Rorters bandwagon.

More Doust gold :lol:

drake

First Grade
Steelers4eva said:
I wouldn't describe them as 'ladies' or 'of the night'. You can pass half a dozen of the skanky rodents on your way up to Macs Pies at lunchtime. ;-)
Yeah I was being charitable.

The most filthy bunch of scrags I've ever seen.

Southernsaint said:
More Doust gold :lol:

Bezerkely sports club needs to get Crown on tap.

Steelers4eva

Juniors
Eastern rooster said:
Easts also own Kingswood Sports Club. It's called good business.

ER, no-one is denying that its a good business decision for them to buy BSSC. Personally (and I think others will agree) I am more concerned that the Dragons developement officers are being lackluster in thier promotion of the game in the Wollongong local area.

I think the promotion by Easts is terrific for the game, especially in an area like Berkeley, just wish our guys would do likewise.

I know the Dragons are the only club that can call up players from the Tooheys League throughout the year so football wise its not really a place where the Roosters can put thier players to keep an eye on them like the Dragons do (i.e. promising players, players short of a run or coming back through injury)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Eastern rooster said:
And who do you think owns the Berkely Sports Club?.......The Eastern Suburbs Leagues Club.
Its been a while since you shown your ugly mug in here Coggie.

drake

First Grade
Willow said:
Its been a while since you shown your ugly mug in here Coggie.
Oh, is that who it is? Will he disappear again when the Rorters fail again this year?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Only an educated guess. Coggie was booted and Eastern Rooster appeared the same day. His posts are in the Coggie style and he has made mention of the old blouse, protesting on his behalf in TFC.

Benny

First Grade
Most of StGeorge's Development would be aimed at schools and would reach alot more people than one day event the Roosters are running. StGeorge run these days but can't do so for one particular club and thus run it for the whole area. The club would still be classed as an Illawarra Junior Club. Any attempt to poach players from this club or others would cost the Roosters Development fees.

I also don't have a lot of time for Kevin Felgate, not always one to do the best for the clubs, players and or the League.

The only reason why Roosters come down here is because they cant get their own fans and players from their locals (because they know how bad they are) so they go else where, and it goes to show that they need to really do something about the board of the Dragons, they need to really start getting out there and doing more, or at least publicising more that they do, you hear nothing yet they do a bit, which would also help the Steelers with their trouble as well! But the board just sit back waiting for everything to be handed to them on a silver platter!