What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters name improvement

LJC

Juniors
Gday fellow Roosters fans,
Wondering if you would like our name to reflect more on our great club's past. I suggest we go by the name of: East Sydney Roosters.
This name strengthens ties with the past eg: East and also better informs of our locality with maintaining the "Sydney" part.
I've heard suggestions about reverting back to Eastern Suburbs but this is counterproductive as the competition is in Australasia nowadays, and locality recognition is much better seved by having "East Sydney Roosters" .To be honest, I cringe when I hear our club referred to as the "Sydney Roosters". It's not an apt description and does lead to confusion from new fans to the game.

Last edited:

H.H

Juniors
Wondering if you would like our name to reflect more on our great club's past. I suggest we go by the name of: East Sydney Roosters.
This name strengthens ties with the past eg: East and also better informs of our locality with maintaining the "Sydney" part.
I've heard suggestions about reverting back to Eastern Suburbs but this is counterproductive as the competition is in Australasia nowadays, and locality recognition is much better seved by having "East Sydney Roosters" .To be honest, I cringe when I hear our club referred to as the "Sydney Roosters". It's not an apt description and does lead to confusion from new fans to the game.
I can live with it. I still call the Easts anyway, so this will make it official again.

LJC

Juniors
Ofcourse the team will be referred to as Easts in a general sense. I am suggesting a formalising of the club name as a whole, so it will convey both its history and its locality. This is achieved by East Sydney Roosters as distinct from Sydney Roosters which is very misleading.

redandgreenduck

Juniors
Most Roosters fans I know love "c**ks"....people identify with that symbol on your jersey...a real part of your history and heritage...yes Eastern Sydney c**ks will be the name and image your supporters will love to embrace.

Most Roosters fans I know love "c**ks"....people identify with that symbol on your jersey...a real part of your history and heritage...yes Eastern Sydney c**ks will be the name and image your supporters will love to embrace.

Lol spending this fortnight's pension on the video Ezy internet.

How about eastern suburbs roosters, and at the bottom of the logo we could have a motto 'the pride of Sydney'...Problem solved

LJC

Juniors
East Sydney Roosters is logical and does include the heritage and locality more accurately. I am amazed at some of the comments wanting Eastern Suburubs! If it were purely a Sydney competition , Yes! But no, it is now an Australasian competition so the use of East & Sydney is a perfect fit. East Sydney Roosters can be an easy fix for alot of confusion that particularly new followers of the game come across. ie: Their are 8 other Sydney based clubs and they have their unique name location identity. whereas the "Sydney" Roosters tends to assume all of Sydney, where in fact it is East Sydney! At the moment is a vague description of the club and hopefully someone in power can see the light and move forward. I reiterate it is now an Australasian competition not Sydney based!

Bulldog Force

Referee
Eastern_Suburbs_Roosters_logo_1978.jpg

LJC

Juniors
The West Tigers example is an example of the mess the Super League merging did. I actually think it would have been better as the Balmain-Campbelltown Tigers? But anyway, I think my point about the NRL being an Australasian competition is being missed. Surely East Sydney Roosters makes much more sense nowadays? Imagine if someone starting following rugby league in West Australia and seen Eastern Suburbs. They would wonder where the Eastern Suburbs is? Is it Brisbane, Adelaide, Melbourne etc. I hope we do get some genuine thoughts and avoid making this error in the naming of our club. In an Australasian competition using the name East Sydney Roosters makes alot of sense!

1974-75

Juniors
LJC I agree with you 100% - Brisbane, Melbourne, Newcastle, etc. are stand alone city clubs and can use their city names for that reason. We (Roosters) are NOT representing Sydney as a whole. People just don't seem to get it.

EAST SYDNEY Roosters is the best name we can give ourselves, the way the NRL is currently formatted. It's a good compromise: "East" for locality and tradition - and "Sydney" for national identity.

By the way, I think Balmain Magpies would've been a better name..

Last edited:

LJC

Juniors
"Tonearm.."Your quote:"The same point would apply to Balmain-Campbeltown and every team besides Brisbane, Melbourne, Canberra and South Sydney."

In this respect you underestimate the historical significance and universal recognition of the Sydney based clubs. Their years of existence and recognition make it feasible for their identity to have far greater reach than new or expansion name clubs. Essentially they are the essence from which the NRL has expanded. You do not tamper with such traditions and recogniition as you undo the many years of familiarity that goes with such names.
For instance the name change of the Western Reds to West Coast Pirates doesn't erode past support as the expansion club does not have the history behind it. West Coast Pirates is a improvement on a less established and poor club name.
The East Sydney Roosters suggestion is an improvement which reinforces the club's history and locality.

Last edited:

LJC

Juniors
I'm glad to see that we are getting some positive responses for East Sydney Roosters. Now the challenge is to get our club to work towards this very sensible name improvement!
Easier said than done!

Latest posts