What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters sign South African junior rugby star

The Sydney Roosters have become the first club in the NRL to tap into the South African talent pool of young rugby players, signing JP du Plessis to a three year deal.
Du Plessis, from the renowned rugby development school of Paul Roos Gymnasium, Stellenbosch, will join the Roosters for the 2010 season.
The signing of the 18 year old, 183cm centre caused a storm when announced in South Africa recently, with talk back radio running hot with news that Australian rugby league had poached one of their up and coming rugby union stars.
JP’s signature comes after Roosters recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan’s recent trip to South Africa.
“JP is a quick and beautifully balanced player and will be a real asset to the club,” said O’Sullivan.
“He is considered a rising star of South African Rugby so while he will take 12 months to learn rugby league, he has the potential to be a key player for the Roosters.”
The club hopes to announce the signing of another South African young rugby convert shortly.
http://www.sydneyroosters.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=17767

I for one like this signing.

Guys, remember the last team we made signings like JWH, Williamson etc...? Yeah, that was the Gus Gould era. O'Sullivan could be the most crucial signing we've made since Fittler. Now we need coaches.

SOO

Juniors

roosters4life

Juniors
Is this really a good thing

1. He is given 12 months to learn the game...while using salary cap money
2. He has been given a 3 year deal on being able to play a different game at a junior level.
3. Will there be a communication error

Really, Not sure

Titanic

First Grade
Would the Roosters consider relocating to SA and making it a tri-nations tournament?

fat_mike

Juniors
I like this, almost seems we're thinking outside the rugby league player market square so to speak. Quick balanced and no doubt pretty powerful runner. I have no problem with him having to learn the game. I doubt league is anywhere near as complicated as that other sh*t code.

Just stoked we havent gone out and tried to sign and hero from yester year.

be interesting to hear about the other signing aswell.

South africa could be a good hunting ground for young guns that can be developed

F-1-11

Juniors
Also some of the South African loose forwards would go good, look at Kankowski and Pierre Spives they would walk into any team they are big aggressive and skillful.

yesterdayhero

Juniors
South African Junior Rugby Union Level cant nowhere be as good or strong as NRL First Grade level.
Hope he proves me wrong but another dud signing i think

South African Junior Rugby Union Level cant nowhere be as good or strong as NRL First Grade level.
Hope he proves me wrong but another dud signing i think

That's just like saying Toyota Cup level isn't as strong as NRL First Grade. The bloke has a shot to prove himself in Australia. I can't comment on the signing quite yet.

Geohood

Bench
THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN SOUTH AFRICA!!! They dont click when the speak if thats what u think!!!

Its a good signing. Checked this guy out on youtube. got some skill

Which vid?

Are you sure this isnt that other 'du plessis' in Rugby?

Lox

Juniors
on the subject of under 20s, george vuna(coopers brother) was named in the warriors team for this weeks clash with the doggies.. he use to be in your juniors system before

Latest posts