What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters v Broncos **Spoiler**

Jordan

Juniors
Stagg looks alright.. I don't think he'll make Origin though, as him and Paul Bowman are probably going for the same spot on the bench..

As for the Broncos, they're always brilliant at the start of the season so I'm not surprised. The real test is post Origin where they seem to waver.. As well as a cowboys supporter, I've always been a big Broncos fan and it is really frustrating to see them wilt at the back end of the season..

With the Cowboys looking to be a force this year though, hopefully things will change and it won't have as much of an impact on the Broncos.

Kiwi

First Grade
Tommy Smith said:
Kiwi said:
Tommy Smith said:
Wow. It really is amazing how people want to lay the boot into the Roosters after ONE loss, saying we are gone and the whole team is basically shithouse.

The facts are, Brisbane were red hot tonight. Thats the best they've been in attack for about half a decade. We were backing up 5 days after an extremely draining effort against the big Panthers pack where we hardly touched the ball in the second half. Our players were dropping like flys, and that was on top of a couple of key injuries. And despite all that we were still in the game upto the 60th minute.

Now Finchy is back we will be able to build up some combinations in the halves and once we get some fit players back we will be fine. The defense up the middle though certainly does need tightening up...but i have every confidence in Ricky to do that and by mid-season i think we'll see a team capable of taking on the Dogs & Broncos.

Remember people, it is only Round 3.

P.S. Congratulations Brisbane. Very, very impressive...and if Seymour and Berrigan keep fit (unlike last year) you will be the Bulldogs biggest threat for sure. Another difference this year is the likes of Stagg and Parker have really come on to support to take the laod off the likes of Civo and Webcke.

I don't buy into the backing up 5 days after excuse. The Cowboys played the Broncos on Sunday round 1 then the Bulldogs friday round 2. It doesn't get tougher than that. Almost every team has to do it at some stage.

What key injuries were they?
It wasnt so much Crocker and Tupou, but the loss of Morley and Wing for the key stage of the game. Morley really was missed considering we had youngsters like Rose on the bench. And Wing is our main attacking weapon.

And once again, backing up five days after was somewhat compounded by the fact that at one time, we had no fit men on the bench (or maybe one).

And i dont believe that is just a poor excuse. People have been more than prepared to excuse Souths loss in Rnd 1 because they lost players to injury, and well the same happened to us tonight.

I should point out though that i dont think we would have won anyway..considering how well Brisbane went and the fact we are still gelling as a team..but it certainly contributed to the poor defense and 40 points against.

The Broncos lost B Berrigan for the second half also, how bad would it have been if he stayed on the field even if Wing and Morley did?

KFC

Juniors
The Roosters were out played tonight, no doubt.

However to the Raiders fans putting the boot into Monaghan I look forward to him scoring a hatrick aginst you in round 5.

KFC

Juniors

However to the Raiders fans putting the boot into Monaghan I look forward to him scoring a hatrick aginst you in round 5.

Kiwi

First Grade
KFC said:

I don't think Monaghan was bad, he just never got any quality ball. He should have gone looking for it.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Kiwi said:
Tommy Smith said:
Kiwi said:
Tommy Smith said:
Wow. It really is amazing how people want to lay the boot into the Roosters after ONE loss, saying we are gone and the whole team is basically shithouse.

The facts are, Brisbane were red hot tonight. Thats the best they've been in attack for about half a decade. We were backing up 5 days after an extremely draining effort against the big Panthers pack where we hardly touched the ball in the second half. Our players were dropping like flys, and that was on top of a couple of key injuries. And despite all that we were still in the game upto the 60th minute.

Now Finchy is back we will be able to build up some combinations in the halves and once we get some fit players back we will be fine. The defense up the middle though certainly does need tightening up...but i have every confidence in Ricky to do that and by mid-season i think we'll see a team capable of taking on the Dogs & Broncos.

P.S. Congratulations Brisbane. Very, very impressive...and if Seymour and Berrigan keep fit (unlike last year) you will be the Bulldogs biggest threat for sure. Another difference this year is the likes of Stagg and Parker have really come on to support to take the laod off the likes of Civo and Webcke.

I don't buy into the backing up 5 days after excuse. The Cowboys played the Broncos on Sunday round 1 then the Bulldogs friday round 2. It doesn't get tougher than that. Almost every team has to do it at some stage.

It wasnt so much Crocker and Tupou, but the loss of Morley and Wing for the key stage of the game. Morley really was missed considering we had youngsters like Rose on the bench. And Wing is our main attacking weapon.

And once again, backing up five days after was somewhat compounded by the fact that at one time, we had no fit men on the bench (or maybe one).

And i dont believe that is just a poor excuse. People have been more than prepared to excuse Souths loss in Rnd 1 because they lost players to injury, and well the same happened to us tonight.

I should point out though that i dont think we would have won anyway..considering how well Brisbane went and the fact we are still gelling as a team..but it certainly contributed to the poor defense and 40 points against.

The Broncos lost B Berrigan for the second half also, how bad would it have been if he stayed on the field even if Wing and Morley did?
What are you suggesting? That B Berrigan is better than Wing and Morley put together? :eek:

Kiwi

First Grade
Tommy Smith said:
Kiwi said:
Tommy Smith said:
Kiwi said:
Tommy Smith said:

What are you suggesting? That B Berrigan is better than Wing and Morley put together? :eek:

Not at all, but if your comparing, cross one of them off, cause Berrigan was on fire before had to go off. I'm merely pointing out it wasn't as bad injury wise as is being made out.

ozboy

Juniors
The Broncos, on tonights performance, look like thy are turning into that great force they once were in the early 90s.

Their attacking play was just brilliant, while their forwards have adapted to the modern era and are not just the predictable battering rams they once were.

Though all will again hinge on how they back up from Origin considering the amount of players who will be involved, and what has happened over the past few years.

Karmicheal Hunt looks like the QLD fullback for many a year to come (even though he should be a kiwi). Tonight he moved into the line a lot more and played the role Lockyer once used too back in his fullback days.

They have a great mix in the centres. Brent Tate played himself into an Australian jumper and showed that when fully fit there is no one better, while Shaun Berrigan quietly goes about his business on the other side, defending brilliantly while also providing a lethal option when the Broncos come his way in attack.

Leon Bott lookslike a gem. With that pace and the finishing skills he has, I predict he will become the number 1 winger in the game within the next few years while even Justin Hodges looks like finally settling down and fulfilling his potential, even though wing is not his best position.

Brett Seymour is the best young halfback in the game, and with Lockyer beside him, there is no better player he could have beside him, while the Broncos finally look like they have found a solution to their hooking problems.

As with the pack, I had my doubts about them, but they have been silenced. They finally have adapted to the modern game and now look more lethal than ever. David Stagg is a great youngster, and will be the player who does all the dirty work which always goes un-noticed, and will fill a role the Broncos have not had in quite a while. Shane Webcke is just a freak, while Thorn, Civo and Carlaw are just big bodies who will hit it up all night long and now also have the added threat of the offload and pass at the line in their bagpack.

mc bulldog

Juniors
Tommy Smith said:
Kiwi said:
Tommy Smith said:

Mate you can't seriously think people will belive that piss poor excuse
So what if you played last Sunday and on Friday the Cowboys did it successfully last week mybe your mob aren't quite up to the task.
Playing 2 games in 5 day is nothing. This weekend in the English Super League they are playing two rounds in six days.

At 20-16 the game was there to be won. The Roosters two key attacking players weren't there (Wing and Tupou). But in saying all that over the previous 60 minutes of the game The Roosters did not really deserve to be only 4 points down. I rated what Brisbane did tonight. The main reason they won and the reason B.Berrigan was dominant was the fact they won the play the ball. There forwards rolled over the top of the Roosters pack and there play the ball was so quick. It allowed Berrigan and Lockyer to cut back in behind the play the ball. Six of there 8 tries resulted from a dummy half play or an inside ball back to the play the ball area, where the Roosters were caught either coming back onside or off balance. The final scoreline was probably a fair indication of the difference between the sides. The Roosters need to have Wing in 6 and Finch in 7 and Firman in PL from next week. Finch went OK I thought but that Brisbane pack is big up front and mobile in the back row. They will be hard to beat. BUT come the big games in Sept/Oct they will want to have sorted there goalkicking out. 4/11 over the last 2 weeks and it could cost em down the track.

To that Teenie Booper guy who was on around the 70th minute yelling Roosters #1. You not number one the storm are.

What a trackhead he was.

rant over.

legend

Coach
Firman was poor but had Lockyer landed his goals and the blatant forward pass called back, we'd be looking at a more realisitic scoreline of something like 48-16 which is a fairer indication of where the two sides were last night.

Mander had an absolute shocker of a game and all his dud calls assisted the Roosters with Mini getting a free 20 metres and that forward pass was easily the worst blunder of the year to date.

I think Tim Mander and his touchies are in the running for the weekly Paul Carige award after last nights "effort".

Raider_69

Post Whore
KFC monaghan could very well score a hatrick against us, he is a good attacking player, however my tip would be 3 odd tries in return are scored down his corridor

he is a shocking defender, sticky needs to fix it up ASAP because he is getting targetted

skeepe

Immortal
Raider_69 said:
KFC monaghan could very well score a hatrick against us, he is a good attacking player, however my tip would be 3 odd tries in return are scored down his corridor

he is a shocking defender, sticky needs to fix it up ASAP because he is getting targetted

I hope Monaghan does some more kicking when he plays us, that 30m bomb to get the Broncos out of trouble in the first half was great stuff!

Roosters got Firman just because they could.They were found out by a brilliant lockyer display.And if Toupou is their excuse for not having attacking weapons then its a a pooor one!Only one of their forwards hasnt represented and he is still a young kid!
Wing was ok but he needs a settled position.Monaghan couldnt do much."The best flopper in the league"Fitzgibbon was about the best forward.
Brisbane were on song all nite and Lockyer was outstanding.Minichello was very poor in defence.
There used to be a fullback playing for North Sydney who would charge at the ball runner to cut down his option time as soon as a break was made.Minichello was just plain embarrasing how they toyed with him
Brisbane had to tackle themselves to a standstill all nite

NPK

Bench
The Roosters can't whinge about not having Tupou last night...the Broncos didn't have their Tupou either ;-)

Iafeta

Referee
The Broncos were great last night. I thought they were very good last week too, but the Warriors didn't get the credit they deserved instead it was judged an off night for the Broncos and the referee :?

Seymour is a real talent no doubt, Barry Berrigan is the little sniper that you always need in your team - the one that doesn't get the recognition but always makes the extra half yard by putting the forwards over the advantage line. cutie to me is still behind Slater as far as QLD fullbacks go.

And Justin Hodges is a severe liability on the wing. I can see many teams looking to attack his side severely with ball in hand, and with the high ball. He had no balls under the high ball, he looked like he was trying to run away from it. Better halves will pepper him unless Wayno works frivilously on him to improve his positioning and a bit of guts to at least attempt to take the high pill.

Latest posts