What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters v Broncos **Spoiler**

RABK

Referee
Stagg looks like he will be playing Origin this year, Good player.
I'd be interested to know if his high work rate in defense usually makes his running game paltry. He made 48 tackles but only 7 hitups for 55 metres. I'm not sure if his workrate in attack is usually so low.

Kiwi

First Grade
Jake the snake said:
Yeah, In Attack Seymour did ok but I thought it was mainly Lockyear and Hunt that were really creating. Stagg looks like he will be playing Origin this year, Good player.

I thought it was all shared. That was the great thing, Lockyer, Seymour, Hunt and McGuire when he came on. The Roosters had no idea in defense with that many options coming at them.

Kiwi

First Grade
Red and Blue Knight said:
I'd be interested to know if his high work rate in defense usually makes his running game paltry. He made 48 tackles but only 7 hitups for 55 metres. I'm not sure if his workrate in attack is usually so low.

Stagg is a Centre. He played all is time for Toowoomba in the centres, as time goes on and as he gets more and more use to his new position he'll improve his attack workrate.

NPK

Bench

Like Fitzgibbon, he seems to sacrifice his attack a little by doing so much defence. He is very fit though and does score quite a few tries...

Kiwi

First Grade
Mah, it was a hospital pass. Anyone can smash a flat footed player.
Well lockyer had to pass, he would have got snapped in half by Morley.

Lockyer had to pass it because it's not his job to take the hit ups like that.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Wow. It really is amazing how people want to lay the boot into the Roosters after ONE loss, saying we are gone and the whole team is basically shithouse.

The facts are, Brisbane were red hot tonight. Thats the best they've been in attack for about half a decade. We were backing up 5 days after an extremely draining effort against the big Panthers pack where we hardly touched the ball in the second half. Our players were dropping like flys, and that was on top of a couple of key injuries. And despite all that we were still in the game upto the 60th minute.

Now Finchy is back we will be able to build up some combinations in the halves and once we get some fit players back we will be fine. The defense up the middle though certainly does need tightening up...but i have every confidence in Ricky to do that and by mid-season i think we'll see a team capable of taking on the Dogs & Broncos.

Remember people, it is only Round 3.

P.S. Congratulations Brisbane. Very, very impressive...and if Seymour and Berrigan keep fit (unlike last year) you will be the Bulldogs biggest threat for sure. Another difference this year is the likes of Stagg and Parker have really come on to support to take the laod off the likes of Civo and Webcke.

RABK

Referee
Stagg looks like a great prospect for Brisbane. He came into first grade with not much fanfare but as got the job done each time he's taking the field. He doesn't really need a high workrate in attack with Webcke, Petero and Thorn in the pack but like Kiwi said, he should improve his running game as he makes the transition into the forwards. How much does he weigh? He looks like he could beef up a bit.

Raider_69

Post Whore
The big concern is you blokes have been leaking alot of points, even against the panthers you leaked 20 points.
I havnt seen the roosters leak points like this for some time

NPK

Bench

I doubt it. Morley was in line to tackle Webcke, which he did, so he obviously wasn't in line with Lockyer too.

RABK

Referee
Kiwi said:

Lockyer had to pass it because it's not his job to take the hit ups like that.

Exactly, and Webcke payed the price of a strong Roosters chase. You could see the hit shook him up but he was fine after a minute. As for the roosters, Stuart seems to be tweaking with the team alot. Once he finds his top 17 i think the Roosters will calculate in a top 4 finish. It will be interesting to see what 6, 7 and 9 combo he settles for.

Kiwi

First Grade
NPK said:

I doubt it. Morley was in line to tackle Webcke, which he did, so he obviously wasn't in line with Lockyer too.

It's Morley, he would have just hung out an arm for a Morley special.

Kiwi

First Grade
Tommy Smith said:
Wow. It really is amazing how people want to lay the boot into the Roosters after ONE loss, saying we are gone and the whole team is basically shithouse.

The facts are, Brisbane were red hot tonight. Thats the best they've been in attack for about half a decade. We were backing up 5 days after an extremely draining effort against the big Panthers pack where we hardly touched the ball in the second half. Our players were dropping like flys, and that was on top of a couple of key injuries. And despite all that we were still in the game upto the 60th minute.

Now Finchy is back we will be able to build up some combinations in the halves and once we get some fit players back we will be fine. The defense up the middle though certainly does need tightening up...but i have every confidence in Ricky to do that and by mid-season i think we'll see a team capable of taking on the Dogs & Broncos.

P.S. Congratulations Brisbane. Very, very impressive...and if Seymour and Berrigan keep fit (unlike last year) you will be the Bulldogs biggest threat for sure. Another difference this year is the likes of Stagg and Parker have really come on to support to take the laod off the likes of Civo and Webcke.

I don't buy into the backing up 5 days after excuse. The Cowboys played the Broncos on Sunday round 1 then the Bulldogs friday round 2. It doesn't get tougher than that. Almost every team has to do it at some stage.

What key injuries were they?

renouf

Juniors
Tommy Smith said:

I agree. If Lockyer, Seymour and BARRY Berrigan remain in the side come finals time, watch out doggies. We lost 2 of those blokes last year for the season and 1 for a few months.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Raider_69 said:
The big concern is you blokes have been leaking alot of points, even against the panthers you leaked 20 points.
I havnt seen the roosters leak points like this for some time
I disagree 69. Penrith are, and have been for the last few years, an awesome attacking unit. Considering all the ball they had i thought we did well to keep them to 20...which is not too much for Penrith on average. The defense was actually what kept us in that game, especially in desparation. And in RND 1 we got back into the game vs Souths through defense and kept them to nil in the second half.

Tonight it certainly was a concern, but as i said it is early days and there was just too many tired players. If we continue to concede alot of players, then yes, its a worry. But for now im prepared to call it an anomaly considering how well Brisbane went in attack and also how well weve gone in defense for the last 3 years.

And think of it this way...The Dogs were awesome in Rnd 1, underpar Rnd 2. The Broncos were good Rnd 1, woeful Rnd 2 and awesome tonight. Now it was our turn to have alittle bit of a downer. And the bottom line is, these kind of inconsistencies are going to happen when its so early in the season. By Rnd 8 or so we'll definately see some consistency from the top teams. But for now, you would be an idiot to right any of the top teams off. Im sure some people wrote Brisbane off after last week...

NPK

Bench
Kiwi said:
Tommy Smith said:

I don't buy into the backing up 5 days after excuse. The Cowboys played the Broncos on Sunday round 1 then the Bulldogs friday round 2. It doesn't get tougher than that. Almost every team has to do it at some stage.

Probably Crocker and Tupou.

Striker

Juniors
As a Broncos supporter I watch all of thier matches and my father and I both agreed tonight Brisbane's attack was a lot different. Not just because they scored 40 points but Webke and Petro didn't feature as much as they usually do. They seemed to only hit it up from their own end and then the mobile forwards like berrigan, carlaw, stagg etc came into the action around the half way.

The Roosters were simply not ready for it. I wounder if Brisbane have been preparing for this for the last couple of weeks and didn't want to use it until they played the Roosters. Not making excuses but it could explain their attack last week, they just seemed lost against the Warriors.

Adding to that the Roosters were looking at a 10-0 deficiet very early in the game, something they are not used to. I feel with out Fitler's football brain I should become a common game plan for opposing teams. Come out against the Roosters early, it seemed to take them about 30 minutes to get into the match.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Kiwi said:
Tommy Smith said:

It wasnt so much Crocker and Tupou, but the loss of Morley and Wing for the key stage of the game. Morley really was missed considering we had youngsters like Rose on the bench. And Wing is our main attacking weapon.

And once again, backing up five days after was somewhat compounded by the fact that at one time, we had no fit men on the bench (or maybe one).

And i dont believe that is just a poor excuse. People have been more than prepared to excuse Souths loss in Rnd 1 because they lost players to injury, and well the same happened to us tonight.

I should point out though that i dont think we would have won anyway..considering how well Brisbane went and the fact we are still gelling as a team..but it certainly contributed to the poor defense and 40 points against.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Im telling you with Monaghan in the team there is going to be tries on offer, he can be a great attacking player but his defence has been very ordinary for a very long time, he is terrible with his positioning and he fails to communicate effectively with his outside and inside men in defence.

Roberts is also another poor defencive player and Ryan Cross isnt exactly a tackling machine, add to that Mini's defence isnt in the top 5 in the comp at fullback for mine.

Their defence in outwide is gonna cost them plenty of points this year, the only question is without Fittler, do they have the ability in attack to cover the spread?

Kiwi

First Grade
NPK said:
Kiwi said:
Tommy Smith said:

Probably Crocker and Tupou.

Considering the Broncos were without Carroll, Parker and Costigan for the night also I would hardly call them key injuries.

Latest posts