What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rose, L'Estrange & Henry likely signings

nrlnrl

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e-and-beau-henry/story-fni3g9a3-1227102088763

St George Illawarra Dragons eye George Rose, Heath L’Estrange and Beau Henry
DAVID RICCIO CHIEF SPORTS WRITER THE SUNDAY TELEGRAPH OCTOBER 26, 2014 12:00AM

ST GEORGE Illawarra’s back-up plan of George Rose could become their permanent solution with the club’s intention to sign jailed forward Russell Packer at least six months away from being realised.

The Dragons are keen to pick up Rose on a base-salary contract, believing the former Manly and Melbourne prop can plug a hole in their pack until Packer’s future is *determined by the NRL.

The loss of Test winger Brett Morris to Canterbury isn’t the only change for a club whose legion of fans are demanding success after failing to make the finals since 2011. Several new faces could join the Dragons on Monday under coach Paul McGregor, when they become one of the first clubs to return to pre-season training. While Rose’s deal is yet to be signed off, the Dragons are close to announcing the signatures of former Sydney Roosters hooker Heath L’Estrange and Gold Titans utility Beau Henry — the same club to which Dragons outside back Gerard Beale has been linked.

And in a move that will ease salary-cap pressure and could enhance the club’s chances of keeping Test forward Trent Merrin beyond 2015, local junior Jack Stockwell is also expected to be granted a release to join Newcastle. Stockwell was on a deal worth more than $200,000 at the Dragons.

But securing Packer will become the club’s greatest issue over summer, with the former Warriors prop behind bars after being found guilty of a drunken assault on a night out in Sydney almost 12 months ago. Dragons officials have met repeatedly with Packer and while they are confident they have secured his signature, officially they are unable to spruik the deal until the NRL registers his contract.

That process could take a minimum of six months, with Packer’s alcohol issues expected to result in the NRL ordering he undergo a course with Alcoholics Anonymous and several other rehabilitation courses that prove he is worthy of a second chance. Packer has been lured to the Dragons on a deal worth more than $200,000 while he is also a close friend of current forward Leeson Ah Mau.

The Dragons’ decision to sign journeyman L’Estrange is designed to assist the *development of current dummy-halves Mitch Rein and Craig Garvey.

If this is what Mulholland was brought into do then he can f**k off.

Letting go Morris was ridiculous and Stockwell why the f**k did they keep him in the first place.

Beau Henry had a massive head, as an U20's star half with us, very poor defender.

Georgie Rose, has never been fit enough to play first grade.

Both these players are a gamble, or more a case of filling the squad with numbers rather than quality.

Lots of work for Mary if he is to get any value out of these 2.

Why Marketo and L'Estrange ?

Puzzling decisions if true.

You'd think Pumipi, Stanley and Harrison are gone with some of these signings.

These guys will fill the numbers for the Cutters the only player with any type of potential to offer anything is Gerrard the young kiwi fella.

Dragonnic

Juniors
Lets wait and see what happens with these guys. They might surprise. Have faith. All i hear is constant negative comments. There are no big time players available. Lets see what these guys can do.

Coffs dragon

Bench
No wonder Jack Bird left when our club always seems to stockpile garbage players rather than give the young players a taste of NRL. Other clubs seem to find the right balance with youth & experience rather than experienced rejects. Mary is not a Bellamy and I can't see him having the ability to polish a turd.

rainman44

Bench
Losing Morris and some of the others and we only pick up Packer has me f**ked, i am so angry at the fools running this club. Our side next year will be fighting it out for the spoon.

You'd think Pumipi, Stanley and Harrison are gone with some of these signings.

These guys will fill the numbers for the Cutters the only player with any type of potential to offer anything is Gerrard the young kiwi fella.

Sorry dude, they'll all be getting plenty of time in first grade. Spoon contenders.

Lethal25

Juniors
No wonder Jack Bird left when our club always seems to stockpile garbage players rather than give the young players a taste of NRL. Other clubs seem to find the right balance with youth & experience rather than experienced rejects. Mary is not a Bellamy and I can't see him having the ability to polish a turd.
Coffs, you can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.......

grouch

First Grade
L'Estrange is better than Rein. But he's a journeyman, he's old, and whens the last time he played regular NRL football as a starting hooker? It's not as bad as signing Michael Witt, but it's similar.

The other two are complete junk.

Definite spoon contenders

BennyV

Referee
L'Estrange is better than Rein. But he's a journeyman, he's old, and whens the last time he played regular NRL football as a starting hooker? It's not as bad as signing Michael Witt, but it's similar.

Shouldnt matter abiut being an old journeyman...for all i care he could be a 72 year old hermaphroditic ex-politician from the western edge of Zimbabwe, if he can pass the ball to the chest of the first receiver and make a bunch of tackles in the middle then hes fine as a bench hooker until we know if Garvey or one of the 20s is going to step up.

Twenty10

Juniors
Beau Henry is a stupid signing. The other 2 I get. I know people say rose is fat etc etc but reality is he'll make more metres in a run than hunt, stockwell and Harrison put together.