What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rosters Discussion

How should the rosters be constructed for this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nick87

Coach
If I had to make a call, I'd almost say let us get this thing off the ground without IDPs and the add them in later as an off season draft if we want to

kurt faulk

Coach
Why is that?

Plenty of IDP leagues have just 2-3 IDP starters, why do you have to have a starting requirement of 9+ IDPs?

It dilutes the quality of starters, I don't mind it in the IDP Masters league on FF as it's so easy to add/drop players, I think in this format it will be much more challenging. You'll probably see many IDPs just signed to league minimum 1 year contracts.

2 to 3 starters? i've been in a couple of those and i treated them like kickers. last rounds of the draft. there were still plenty of starters available.

Dogs Of War

Coach
If I had to make a call, I'd almost say let us get this thing off the ground without IDPs and the add them in later as an off season draft if we want to

I think that makes the most sense. Either way we are drafting heaps of players. Let's do this in two lots. Get used to the system and expand it next season.

abpanther

Staff member
Sounds like we need a poll ZJ with 4 options:

1) Full IDP roster
2) Limited IDP roster
3) 2 staged approach, no IDPs this year and introduce them next year so everyone is familiar with the league set up
4) No IDPs period

My vote would be 2 or 3

Dogs Of War

Coach
I vote 3. I don't mind going to IDP's, but with a season of getting used to the new format, it should make the 2nd season better, understanding how to use your salary cap, contracts, waiver wire (penalties for dropping players?) etc.

Plus the sheer magnitude of drafting the volume of players we are talking about is reduced.

abpanther

Staff member
So ZJ if we did expand to IDPs next year how would you manage that? Would you increase the cap slightly to accommodate?

zombie jesus

Staff member
So ZJ if we did expand to IDPs next year how would you manage that? Would you increase the cap slightly to accommodate?

Yeah, I will have to do some creative formula making to try and find a fair increase, depends on scoring and the ratio to offensive players, how many IDPs etc.

kurt faulk

Coach

May as well go all in. We're all gonna be facing the same problems. Get the players you want and then work through the business side of it.

Dogs Of War

Coach

Well wouldn't be just work out what half the salary cap is this year, and increase it by remainder next year when you add the IDP players? This will allow everybody to not get into too much trouble early, or work out a fair percentage (ie we will obviously if not going IDP have to get defences, so something 60% of the proper salary cap can be used this season, with the increase of the remaining 40% for next season).

I assume we are doing blind bidding. Really I expect to see a lot of 1yr deals, so the salary cap isn't going to be a big issue next season.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Just trying to spitball on this season if we went with option 3.

1 QB
2 RB
2 WR
1 TE
2 RB/WR/TE

For this season
1xK
1xDEFENCE

10 Starters + 8 Bench players which compares well to next season moving adding 9 Defensive players (cause you will be dropping the kicker and Defence next season anyhow). Which means we get to draft 216 players this season.

Though I did look at this make up for the next season afterwards (or this season if option 1 is chosen)...

1 QB
2 RB
2 WR
1 TE
2 RB/WR/TE
2 DE
1 DT
3 LB
2 CB
2 S

18 starters + 18 bench which would mean we need to draft another 240 players next season (plus whatever you signed to 1yr contracts).

I don't like that IDP is more important than offensive players whose output is more controllable/consistent. If anything I would have 10 offensive players, and 8 IDP players rather than the suggested balance.

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
Well wouldn't be just work out what half the salary cap is this year, and increase it by remainder next year when you add the IDP players? This will allow everybody to not get into too much trouble early, or work out a fair percentage (ie we will obviously if not going IDP have to get defences, so something 60% of the proper salary cap can be used this season, with the increase of the remaining 40% for next season).

I assume we are doing blind bidding. Really I expect to see a lot of 1yr deals, so the salary cap isn't going to be a big issue next season.

Yes I think we have to increase the cap next year but the question will be how much we increase it by. The scoring system will determine the relative worth of IDPs and what kind of salaries they're going to get, it could be difficult determining the percentages of how much cap we start with and how much we get later. But I suspect it will be more like 80%-20%

Regarding auction bidding, it is definitely not blind bidding. A thread is posted by an owner wishing to bid on a player, owners can then jump on and outbid for the player (there are minimum bidding increments as stated in the rules) by posting in the thread, once no further bids have been posted in the thread for a certain time period (either 24 or 48hrs) then the rights to that player go to the last bidder

abpanther

Staff member
Just trying to spitball on this season if we went with option 3.

1 QB
2 RB
2 WR
1 TE
2 RB/WR/TE

For this season
1xK
1xDEFENCE

10 Starters + 8 Bench players which compares well to next season moving adding 9 Defensive players (cause you will be dropping the kicker and Defence next season anyhow).

Though I did look at this make up for the next season afterwards (or this season if option 1 is chosen)...

1 QB
2 RB
2 WR
1 TE
2 RB/WR/TE
2 DE
1 DT
3 LB
2 CB
2 S

18 starters + 18 bench

I don't like that IDP is more important than offensive players whose output is more controllable/consistent. If anything I would have 10 offensive players, and 8 IDP players rather than the suggested balance.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Yes I think we have to increase the cap next year but the question will be how much we increase it by. The scoring system will determine the relative worth of IDPs and what kind of salaries they're going to get, it could be difficult determining the percentages of how much cap we start with and how much we get later. But I suspect it will be more like 80%-20%

Regarding auction bidding, it is definitely not blind bidding. A thread is posted by an owner wishing to bid on a player, owners can then jump on and outbid for the player (there are minimum bidding increments as stated in the rules) by posting in the thread, once no further bids have been posted in the thread for a certain time period (either 24 or 48hrs) then the rights to that player go to the last bidder

All the nominating and bidding would occur on the MFL site, no need to do anything on here. The only thing we have to do is nominate players and put our bids in via the league site. MFL then automatically adds the player to your roster (after a non-bidding time we determine) and adjusts the owners salary cap. Only thing we have to do after that is input contract years, which we could do at the end of the draft.

nick87

Coach
Looks like full IDP rosters is going to get a win here, in that case, we really will need to start drafting in the next 4-6 weeks i think. We're going to have A LOT to get through

Mjp81

Juniors
I don't know enough about it all to have a viable opinion. My thoughts are to run with the crowd and if I'm thrown in the deep end then I'll just have to learn to keep afloat.

Status
Not open for further replies.