What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rothfield

Spot On

Coach
Nope that's close - 112m ave thus far in 2012. He'd be devastating if he could get going a wee bit quicker.

Big Tim

First Grade
Nope that's close - 112m ave thus far in 2012. He'd be devastating if he could get going a wee bit quicker.

Why?

Mason's style is to wind up and run over people. Snowy's is to make contact up top, and drive with his legs.

Only real difference is the "impact" it makes on the crowd, and the fact that Snowy can get taken in a 3 man tackle and have a slow PTB.

perverse

Referee
it has been an average year for Snowy at best, and it's a credit to his ability that an average year for him is better than any prop we've had for years could muster at their very best.

he still has much more to give.

Spot On

Coach
More metres Tim. More metres.

And yes, he has one of the slowest play the balls in the comp. Kade Slowden.

I too hope he improves out of sight next year.

Big Tim

First Grade
More metres Tim. More metres.

And yes, he has one of the slowest play the balls in the comp. Kade Slowden.

I too hope he improves out of sight next year.

Not if he is ineffective with a big wind up, if it shifts his centre of gravity and means that he goes backwards after contact. There is no guarantee that if he ran "harder" he would make more metres. He may make the same metres, because he isnt in a position to maintain leverage.

I played offensive line. Being explosive rarely gave you an advantage in leverage, you had to win with speed. Once contact was made, the man who could drive got the advantage. I understand they are different games, but Snowden uses his LCG and leverage to gain advantage after contact.

I admit his running style looks slow, but the numbers show it to be effective. But, as always, numbers dont always have relevance in context.

Yosh

Coach
Snowy will be the next Civo if you ask me. He'll play a long time and hopefully he'll be in our front for for the next 12 years.

Spot On

Coach
Good points Tim.

I'm comparing him to blokes like Scott and Tamou. Kade's on big dollars and in my eyes should be making big metres. Not sure what sort of money those two are on but Scott averages 132m a game and Tamou nearly 150m a week.

Jono078

Referee
Willie Mason set for inclusion in Aussie train-on squad after impressing in Newcastle Knights stint

442656-willie-mason.jpg

The scrapheap resurrection of Newcastle forward Willie Mason is set to continue with selection in the Australian train-on squad.

While Mason is a long-shot to join the Kangaroos for their October 13 Test against New Zealand, he's fast firming to represent the Prime Minister's XIII in Papua New Guinea next month.
The reborn prop's surprising form surge has caught the attention of national selectors, who will name the first instalment of train-on squad members from non-finalist clubs straight after round 26.
Newcastle's season will be effectively finished should they not upset Manly at Brookvale Oval on Sunday afternoon, putting Mason in line for a shock representative recall within the next fortnight.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/line-ups
"You can't ignore the form Willie has displayed since joining Newcastle and regaining match fitness," a source close to the selection panel said.

"He's now going as well as just about any prop and wouldn't look out of place in the train-on squad."
Fresh from his best performance yet against Cronulla last Monday night, the 32-year-old promised to relish the opportunity to delay his end-of-season break for the Kumuls clash in Port Moresby on September 23.

"Any green and gold jersey is an honour and I'd be stupid not to put my hand up for it," Mason said.
Selection would cap a remarkable rise for Mason, who joined the Knights on a meagre match payment contract in April after the 15 other clubs snubbed his services.
He's now poised to ink a two-year extension worth more than $500,000.
"All that adversity - people saying I couldn't make it back - I thrive off that stuff," Mason said.
"It's the right environment up here in Newcastle with (coach) Wayne Bennett. He lets me have fun. He knows that if I interact with the fans on the bench it's not going to affect my game."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/.../story-e6frf3ou-1226453439110?from=public_rss
Lol Rothfield...

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I don't know if that 500K figure is accurate, but if it is, he's worth every penny. I'm really looking forward to Mason and Snowden ripping in against the Manly pack today.

Joker's Wild

Coach
lol not one mention of the Knights anywhere there

Well atleast we should be grateful he has left us alone and not just resorted to making shit up

Hanscholo

Bench
Stunned to see we didn't make the top 10 flops of 2012 list. Not that we deserved too. I don't care what anyone says, we weren't favourites for the comp, it was a ridiculous idea.

eozsmiles

Bench
After the pizzling he's given Bennett, Boyd, and his old mate Snowden all season it was pretty shocking he didn't put them in his top ten. Blake Ferguson usually gets a run in these lists from the sloth lol.

voltron

Juniors
yeah i was expecting like 3 out of the top ten to be about the knights
lol
i was genuinely surprised when we werent in it at all

Latest posts