What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rothfield

Absolutely.

Rothfield shows no ability to read the game, or look beyond what happened in the last fortnight.

If anyone could be bothered making a compilation of Rothfield's articles they'd see how often the things he writes get proven to be embarrassingly wrong.

Kearney the second best NRL coach :lol:

Was Dave Furner at number 1? Wayne at 10 means i hope Benny tells him to f### off next time he wants an interview. Hartigan should fire his arse for that alone. Disgraceful.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Was Dave Furner at number 1? Wayne at 10 means i hope Benny tells him to f### off next time he wants an interview. Hartigan should fire his arse for that alone. Disgraceful.

I can't remember who was number 1.

Good chance it was the coach whose team had the biggest win the week before.

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm surprised f**kwit Rothfield didn't put Mason in the worst buys. Daine Laurie is on a pie and coke contract, and the fact that Adam Blair isn't in the worst buys shows Slothfield doesn't actually watch football

Joker's Wild

Coach
Here ya go fellas

Slothfield said:
ONE of the best and most astute buys in the NRL this year was made by a coach who lost his job before the player could help save it.

Former Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore and his assistant Jim Dymock identified enforcer James Graham midway through last season.

The 26-year-old prop had 200-plus games for St Helens and had been a mainstay of the Great Britain Test pack since 2006.

Still, when premier coach Des Hasler took over at Belmore, he was never expecting to see the best of Graham this year.

Even many of the great English forwards from over the years needed a 12-month settling in period to adjust to the Australian game. Not this guy, who showed all his toughness and roughness to more than match countryman Sam Burgess in a colossal battle at ANZ Stadium last Saturday night.

Graham is described by his Bulldogs teammates as a man of few words but the ultimate professional. He's also statistically rated in the top six front-rowers in the competition from all the key indicators.

Not just for the tremendous workrate but for his willingness to shift the football. (He averages seven passes a game - more than any other prop).

Graham is one of three from the Bulldogs who are rated among the top 10 buys in the NRL for 2012 at the halfway mark of the season.

Hasler's signing from the Sea Eagles caused an almighty off-season storm but he's proving to be worth the big bucks CEO Todd Greenberg had to fork out.

Just about every Canterbury player has improved considerably under Hasler's guidance and more regimented preparation.

Players like Kris Keating, Josh Morris and Frank Pritchard are now playing the best and most consistent footy of their careers.

Blog with Buzz: Join Phil Rothfield from 12:30pm Friday to talk all things NRL

Origin special section: Keep up to date with all the news

Click here for Boo Bailey's bios of the NSW team

He might have only played two matches for the Dogs but former Eels and Warriors winger Krisnan Inu also gets a start in the top 10.

At the bargain price of less than $50,000 for this season, he has already justified the dollars.

South Sydney coach Michael Maguire is another who deserves his position among the best new signings.

Remarkably, he only got a start because Wayne Bennett rejected the club's offer to sign with the Knights instead.

Maguire has the Rabbitohs playing the disciplined and more structured style of football that has been missing at Redfern for years.

He had the courage to gamble on a rookie halfback in Adam Reynolds as a replacement for Chris Sandow and the nous to switch champion centre Greg Inglis to fullback.

The pair have been two of the biggest stories of the season. Other great new buys include Nate Myles at the Titans, Andrew Everingham at Souths, Will Chambers and Jason Ryles at Melbourne Storm.

A lot of the cheaper buys have turned out to be absolute bargains.

At the Sharks, Jeff Robson and Ben Ross are on less that $100,000.

So too is big Willie Mason at the Knights, who has defied critics, myself included, to be just about the club's best forward.

Blues five-eighth Todd Carney has almost singlehandedly lifted the Sharks into a premiership force and is an obvious inclusion on the list.

But not all the new signings at the 16 clubs have worked out as planned.

It's been a disaster for the Newcastle Knights with fullback Darius Boyd and prop Kade Snowden chewing up $800,000 of the salary cap.

Boyd showed improvement against the Broncos last Sunday but has massive ground to make up.

Snowden had one strong game against his form club the Sharks in round two but has since looked nothing like the player who played for his state and country last year.

Throw in old Timana Tahu, Daine Laurie and Adam Cuthbertson and it becomes a lot easier to understand why the club is failing.

I have even included super coach Bernnett in the bad buy category. Harsh? Possibly, but not when you consider Rick Stone took the Knights to the finals on a quarter of Bennett's salary last year without Boyd and Snowden.

Parramatta are just as bad as the Knights for off-season recruitment.

Chris Sandow is finally showing some encouraging signs but overall has been a disaster at half-back, spending time in NSW Cup.

He's obviously missing the more freedom he had under John Lang's coaching at Souths.

Sandow's five-eighth partner Ben Roberts and centre Willie Tonga, who has struggled with injuries, have also had years they'd rather forget.

Probably not as much though as Cowboys halfback Robert Lui, banned by the NRL for 12 months over domestic violence.

Rod

Bench
I cut loose on him in the comments section and was very careful not to swear or anything like that but surprise surprise, doesn't look like they are going to publish it.

Honestly, he's not even trying to disguise his agenda anymore. Snowden at 1, 5 Knights in the top 10, he has crossed the line from typical hack journo to downright disgrace with this latest offering.

B-dos

Referee
im amazed rothfield isnt singing the praises of our exceptional team

he obvioulsy had no idea

cram

Bench
im amazed rothfield isnt singing the praises of our exceptional team

he obvioulsy had no idea

Is that sarcasm? Or just pure wit? Took you a while to post would have expected you to be in kicking cans ages ago......:lol:

B-dos

Referee
lol

its a combo cram

i find the outrage at rotherfield here mildly amusing. he is is criticising our awful team for good reason. of course some of his calls (like snowden the worst buy) are over the top but if we were riding high in the top 4 or even 8 im quite sure we would be happily watching him pan the substitute flop of the year

Rod

Bench
No he's an idiot.

I can cop if someone wants to lay into the team with valid criticisms, but those lists are just laughable, and have nothing to do with the fact we are running 13th.

cram

Bench
lol

its a combo cram

i find the outrage at rotherfield here mildly amusing. he is is criticising our awful team for good reason. of course some of his calls (like snowden the worst buy) are over the top but if we were riding high in the top 4 or even 8 im quite sure we would be happily watching him pan the substitute flop of the year

I got your point....;-)

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
He's a stand out idiot in a company full of idiots.

He's the stand out idiot because they know he'll write whatever they tell him to and hyoe it up asmuch as possible.

And, he'll put his name to it. And, he'll stand by it.

All the while, he doesn't realise he's an idiot. He actually thinks he's cutting edge and wise.

But, alas, he's just an idiot.

orochimaru

Juniors
i was a bears fan. till they got kicked out
stopped following nrl till 2006, chose the knights as my clubs successor
knights have been on a down hill slope since then, it's been horrible supporting them, but i'm loyal, so every other club and newspaper critic can goandget fudged

Latest posts