What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Eels V Broncos

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Edwards did with ball in hand, first game back after a knee reco. This rubbish about he's the best back up half available and at the club is absolute bullshit.

Don't forget our only try came when we had two playmakers (Kelly and Norman) handling the ball in the same play.

Ball playing forwards might have looked good against the Broncos' defence, because they're patient and invite ball players to 'dig in' to the line. That suits big, strong players like Edwards a lot more than it suits Kelly and Norman. But Edwards still set up zero tries or linebreaks.

As for having forwards in the halves, it would make your defence better but it hurts your kicking game. Pre-wrestle plenty of teams only used one genuine half, with a back rower or outside back in the 6. But with teams slowing the play-the-ball the pressure on kickers is massive. That's why you need multiple kickers. Have you seen Peats or Edwards kick?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Really? So in the second half when we were making in roads deep into brisbanes half and we're looking good their defence only worked when Kelly got the ball? Their defence made him slow, lost, running in circles, throwing bad passes? I wonder why their defence didn't do those things before Kelly got his hands on the ball?

Their defence was inviting hit ups rather than wide shifts. Essentially conceding metres rather than linebreaks. That's why they're favourites.

How good did Jennings and Radradra look on the left, outside either Norman or Edwards?

forward pass

Coach
I don't rate Kelly at all - and fair enough I guess that many have picked him as this weeks goat.

But - really when you look at things objectively, our right hand side defence cost us the game. Semi's handling error late in the first half was also a shocker - they scored next set.

There were many moments that cost us. Kelly couldn't win us the game - but no way did he cost us the game. That is just silly.

...and do I really care what some fat bastard in the crowd thinks of him? Another sideline hero. Kelly is very average - but he did not get much help from his mates.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Oh well done loser (that's right yous lost) that must've been hard to find. It was definitely hard for Radradra to find something like that last night against the Broncos wasn't it? Lol

Oh actually that's HIS ONLY moment where he creates a break on HIS OWN and beats 3 plus players.

Before the game all you hear is Radradra this and Radradra that and then the game starts and the Eels forget that he doesn't make line breaks like you would associate with the hype surrounding him. All he does is finish like a wingers suppose to but guess what? Most wingers do that just like does, so why the hype?

He had one quiet game. It's not like he lost a grand final single-handedly. ;-)

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don't rate Kelly at all - and fair enough I guess that many have picked him as this weeks goat.

But - really when you look at things objectively, our right hand side defence cost us the game. Semi's handling error late in the first half was also a shocker - they scored next set.

There were many moments that cost us. Kelly couldn't win us the game - but no way did he cost us the game. That is just silly.

...and do I really care what some fat bastard in the crowd thinks of him? Another sideline hero. Kelly is very average - but he did not get much help from his mates.

Well said FP.

Its convenient for people to have a scapegoat but Kelly was hardly the only player that was below average.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I felt we were gone as soon as Norman went off tbh.

Kelly isn't good enough on his own to pull out a win like that for us.

Even Norman, who is a much better player, would have struggled as the sole half. That's why teams use two halves (generally the weakest defenders on the field). If they could get away with only one I'm sure they would.

Fanbase

Juniors
People expected more from a backup playing as the sole half against probably the best defence in the comp?

And how can they not know he's a backup when we have Norman and Foran on the roster?

talk about flogging a lost cause. everyone but you knows kelly is hopeless and there is a promising young half waiting for a chance with cornish. he might be wet behind the ears but the only way for him to get experience is to put him in and stick with him while foran and maybe norman are not available. kelly just screws out attack time and time again.

yy_cheng

Coach
Our attack breaks down with kelly every play. we can blaim him all we like.

to be fair, when norman was on, Kelly wasnt too bad.

But once Norman came off, he shat his pants and basically said to himself, what do I do now?

Latest posts