Round 1 Eels V Broncos

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by Eelogical, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Immortal

Just to clarify, I am not propositioning anybody to put their tongue anywhere near my cheek.

2. Swiftstylez

Swiftstylez Bench

You are up early this morning considering #gaymeon

3. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Immortal

I haven't gone to bed yet.

4. Swiftstylez

Swiftstylez Bench

Here is some material for your night cap
    [​IMG]

5. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Immortal

Not as good looking as Hagan.

6. Swiftstylez

Swiftstylez Bench

Seriously though I agree that some people cross the line but it's part and parcel of being a professional sports person and I assume they are told as players to seperate criticism of their performance from them personally. I don't think people are death riding, I would love Kelly to become a late blooming Peter Sterling and prove everyone wrong. You however only get so many chances.

Hagan was an example of a good coach that was deathridden.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  7. hindy111

hindy111 Referee

What would of you done? Played Cornish? It was a 50-50 decision.Coach went with Kelly.
    We all know Kellys limits. I was hoping he had one of his better games.He however did not. If he does come in again due to injuries i hope he does have one of his better games!

8. Swiftstylez

Swiftstylez Bench

The expectation is a loss without Foran against the better teams with current depth. Cornish gets the next chance imo

9. Swiftstylez

Swiftstylez Bench

It disturbed me how casually the broncos read us in the 2nd half, they didn't shift out of training mode and that was pretty telling. It was very mechanical and boring. Unfortunate but without halves expected.

10. Delboy

Delboy First Grade

I think the issue that fans find reasonably unacceptable, is that to the vast majority, Kelly does not cut it as an NRL player and never will

To see him constantly selected really makes the fans gulp, overall there is a real belief that another player should have been brought to the club to provide an alternative. For instance the Raiders have Sam Williams, most others have at least moved to replace underperforming back ups. Kelly seems to be a non moveable favourite of th coach and it is now a painful selection who generally leaves us shaking our heads with slow, ponderous decisions and no running game to challenge the line. As someone said, if you want a 7 that tackles , put a player like Ken Edwards there

Just my humble opinion on the ongoing debate

11. The Phelan Folly

The Phelan Folly Juniors

Haha - the seasons one game in and fatmerkin has his big girls blouse on already. Go hard, son.

12. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Immortal

Yeah, mate. I get that.

Part of me would like to see Cornish picked next time we are without Foran just to see how he goes. But hopefully Foran stays fit most of the year and we don't see an awful lot of Kelly or Cornish.

13. Joshuatheeel

Joshuatheeel Moderator Staff Member

I can your point about Kelly, but Edwards aren't really an option. If he played in the halves, who ever was his partner would be smash on the 5th and look pretty shitty as Edwards has no long kicking game.

14. yy_cheng

yy_cheng Coach

eh?

Gordon, Jennings, Gutherson, Scott, Edwards & Pritchard (mainly injured in the past).

It is quite different. You can even throw in Alvaro because he hasnt been there that long

15. yy_cheng

yy_cheng Coach

The questions is how long do we give Kelly.

He has a track record here, we've seen what he can do or can't do.

Do you give he 3 games?

I don't have an issue picking him in the last game, but I think he should now be dropped down the pecking order in the backup queue.

All this talk about Gordon being the link man in training, there is an option of Gutho at 1 and Buretta at 2 and Gordon at 6.

16. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Post Whore

How much worse could Cornish's defence be and still be worth that extra 5% attacking spark?

17. Poupou Escobar

Yep. Paulo comes up with memorable moments and they go straight to the wank bank so we remember them. But his consistency of output is laughable. The proof of what he doesn't do is only really apparent in the stats. And of course 'stats prove nothing' so around we go.

18. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised AND how good is the bunker ? :thumn

19. Delboy

Delboy First Grade

Pou, watch the game again, Kelly moves inside to stay on the shoulders of the middle forwards he doesn't miss tackles as he hides as much as possible, he doesn't read the game well and is very slow in sliding to support the outside backs
    '
    I understand he is a backup, but he has been a back up for 3 seasons and hasn't offered much, We haven't seen Cornish for instance in our set up, it may possibly suit him more. His kicking game , running game and passing seem far superior to Kelly. He is well worth a chance or alternately, give an even younger prospect a go, Kelly is history and if my thoughts that he was resigned purely to assist with cap management after last years games from the second tier cap, we would have done better to chase another player, he is not going to give you anything resembling NRL standard

Don't dislike the player, just don't want him in the side, seen enopuhg over 3 seasons to be confident he doesn't cut it

20. Poupou Escobar

I think people are conflating the problem with the symptom. A major reason we lost is because our $1M+ halfback and captain was out. A symptom of that is that we had an $85k backup in his place. So because we can't blame Foran for being out (the poor bastard was injured), but we still have to blame someone, the natural target is the backup.

Disclaimer: all values are estimates