What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 league viewing in Sydney city pubs- horror story

super_coach

First Grade
I know where everyones comming from,Iam in the inner west,most pub tv screens,have the dapto dogs or the union
cant believe it--Gallop get your people out their and push your brand,or you will perish

twistedbydesign

Juniors
ibeme said:
I've noticed it at a few pubs around the city also. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was some kind of financial arrangement in place to ensure that these venues to give RU priority. I don't know how else to explain it when the smaller telly with league on it so often has more people watching it than the big telly RU.

Some toff establishments clearly have a higher rate of RU supporters or wannabes, but most of the pubs aren't that way.

The Occidental will usually have the league on it's tellies

Could it have anything to do with Tooheys? A lot of pubs in the city have Tooheys New signage (as well as product of course) and Tooheys New are the major sponsor of the S14 in Aus. Could be way off the mark but just something that crossed my mind...

Parra Guru

Coach
Nickeel said:
As I said , most/all leagues clubs (e.g. Wentworthville) will have the league on the big screen as standard, and if another sport is on all you need do is ask at the bar and they will switch it. This has also been my experience at other pubs in the city (such as Strawberry Hills Hotel... ooh classy! $5 steaks!) - you just have to make your point known. :)

Nick

I feel Wenty Leagues has sold out a little though. It used to be my favourite venue to watch league games, but I went there on Saturday to find that the whole Blaxland 'sports' Bar is dedicated to Racing!!! I then had to watch from the smoking section and fight for a seat!!

ngunity, you will find that it goes both ways. There could be the most useless game of league on at the same time as a really good Waratah's game and no one will show the union, other than rugby clubs.

Go to a leaguesie!

ngunity

Juniors
naming names eh?

I was at the Australian Youth Hotel (near Broadway) on Saturday night, with nothing but Union. we left in disgust

hit up the 'off broadway hotel' who gave me 5 small tvs of league and big screen rugger bugger, to there credit they cottoned on to league being more popular and switched it after halftime. Maybe that'll teach me for being too lazy to travel further...

Sadly, living where I live there's not a close or decent RSL

Been interested to see a few Central coast people have commented and said the pubs aren't delivering there either, it's where I grew up and it breaks my heart to see Union gaining a foothold there. damn.

iggy plop

First Grade
CycloneSteve said:
I have great respect for Rugby Union. It is not as good as league but is still a great game. You have no right to rubbish it the way you did.

Yes he does.

This is a league site, you may get the odd person who dislikes union.

Deal with it.

Nickeel

Juniors
Parra Guru said:
I feel Wenty Leagues has sold out a little though. It used to be my favourite venue to watch league games, but I went there on Saturday to find that the whole Blaxland 'sports' Bar is dedicated to Racing!!! I then had to watch from the smoking section and fight for a seat!!

ngunity, you will find that it goes both ways. There could be the most useless game of league on at the same time as a really good Waratah's game and no one will show the union, other than rugby clubs.

Go to a leaguesie!

There's still a decent sized TV downstairs near the TAB and snooker tables that will always have league on before anything else. And no smoke!

But I can appreciate what you mean. They have really classed it up down there lately - give it time, the new carpets will all be stained soon enough. :lol:

Nick

Nick

Trollhammaren

Juniors
ngunity said:
naming names eh?

I was at the Australian Youth Hotel (near Broadway) on Saturday night, with nothing but Union. we left in disgust

hit up the 'off broadway hotel' who gave me 5 small tvs of league and big screen rugger bugger, to there credit they cottoned on to league being more popular and switched it after halftime. Maybe that'll teach me for being too lazy to travel further...

Sadly, living where I live there's not a close or decent RSL

Been interested to see a few Central coast people have commented and said the pubs aren't delivering there either, it's where I grew up and it breaks my heart to see Union gaining a foothold there. damn.

Ahh, I work in this area. Yeah, wouldn't think it'd be the best area to watch league. Usually at the Lansdowne they play MusicMax on the big screen above any sport :?

PB

Bench
LOL You guys and girls should open your own pubs.

If the publicans thought they would get more patrons into the pubs you are referring to by showing the league over the Union, don't you think they would put the league on?!

The population of Sydney is made up of more than 250 league tragics on a web forum....

Young Elias

Juniors
ngunity said:
which pub in Surry ? that's pretty darn close if take my girlfriend for dinner in crown st, and I'll know I've got a shoe in pub to sneak in some super saturday.... mwahahaha

The good ol' recently renovated Surry Club, corner of Elizabeth and Cleveland. NIce and casual old school pub.

Young Elias

Juniors
ngunity said:
which pub in Surry ? that's pretty darn close if take my girlfriend for dinner in crown st, and I'll know I've got a shoe in pub to sneak in some super saturday.... mwahahaha

The good ol' recently renovated Surry Club, corner of Elizabeth and Cleveland. Nice and casual old school pub. No rah rahs there, just Souths supporters.

JF_Henson_Hill

Juniors
Choppies said:
At the rocks on Saturday they had the union on the big screen and League on the little screen. More people were facing the little screen than the big screen. I actually doubt anyone was watching the union.

I guess the stereotype applies.

League fans = working class, will just drink beer
Union fans=upper class=will stay longer and behave better (another Pimms thanks Old Chap ;-))
Football fans="Look, you lot out, stop f**king singing in my pub!":roll:
AFL fans="When did you move up from Melbourne? This is Sydney you know". (Then you tell him you were born here, and he eyes you as if you were a KGB spy)

It is all crap. I guess the wank bars in the City are wanting to attract the high end 'swanky' business execs etc. They are more than likely going to follow Union.

We need more bars like Young & Jacksons in Sydney. Not a sports bar, but very friendly to people in colours. Respectable but not pretensious like a great deal of the bars in the Sydney CBD.

JF (yes, my jeans are from Target, so stop staring at me Mr Bouncer :roll: )

ali

Bench
The boundary hotel in Alexandria is a good one. Just entered their tipping comp last night. A good spot in the centre of the city for watching the RL is usually the Bowlers Club of NSW. I haven't been out in the city yet this season but I'll update it in the future.

lemon rabbit

Juniors
PB said:
LOL You guys and girls should open your own pubs.

If the publicans thought they would get more patrons into the pubs you are referring to by showing the league over the Union, don't you think they would put the league on?!

The population of Sydney is made up of more than 250 league tragics on a web forum....

The publicans have no idea.

Even when you point out to the staff that NOBODY is watching the union and there's about 50 people trying to watch the league on a small screen, they won't change it.

taipan

Referee
lemon rabbit said:
The publicans have no idea.

Even when you point out to the staff that NOBODY is watching the union and there's about 50 people trying to watch the league on a small screen, they won't change it.

The city pubs in Geortge st and York street, I have been in are so noisy,when the s14 is on.They are all involved in deep meaningful conservation,and appear not to give a rats about the S14.
Yet the S14 TV ratings are ordinary compared to rugby league and AFL,so the publicans have no idea.

Woods99

Juniors
taipan said:
The city pubs in Geortge st and York street, I have been in are so noisy,when the s14 is on.They are all involved in deep meaningful conservation,and appear not to give a rats about the S14.
Yet the S14 TV ratings are ordinary compared to rugby league and AFL,so the publicans have no idea.

Taipan,

All those stupid publicans. How could so many be fooled by so few, so often? :lol:

Or maybe they don't want to attract league supporters.

greeneyed

First Grade
There is indeed a financial arrangement involved. I went down to the Kingston pub in Canberra one night and said... I would like them to switch on the league on one of their big screens.

They said... sorry, we are a Tooheys pub and we are required to show union on the big screens, because Tooheys is sponsor of the Super 12s/14s. I said... but there is this whole group of people sitting here wanting to watch the Raiders ie half the bar.

They said... sorry, it is a contractual requirement that we give priority to screening of the rugby union in the main bars and on the main screens. We can put one of the small TV screens down in the back bar on for you, but all the main screens must show union.

So, the NRL ought to start to play hard ball on this sort of thing. Union is.

Brutus

Referee
greeneyed said:
There is indeed a financial arrangement involved. I went down to the Kingston pub in Canberra one night and said... I would like them to switch on the league on one of their big screens.

They said... sorry, we are a Tooheys pub and we are required to show union on the big screens, because Tooheys is sponsor of the Super 12s/14s. I said... but there is this whole group of people sitting here wanting to watch the Raiders ie half the bar.

They said... sorry, it is a contractual requirement that we give priority to screening of the rugby union in the main bars and on the main screens. We can put one of the small TV screens down in the back bar on for you, but all the main screens must show union.

I hear the Caxton has this exact arrangement with the insomnia ball as well. The bloody Caxton of all places.

mr_sharks

Juniors
greeneyed said:

Mate i don't think that is true - I used to work there and I'd always have it on the league.

Knightmare

Coach
Brutus said:
I hear the Caxton has this exact arrangement with the insomnia ball as well. The bloody Caxton of all places.

That's like performing a pagan sacrifice in Westminster Abbey!

elidecelis

Sent off
Even in places like the Gold Coast, Rugby is the preferred footy code at most pubs. I suggest staying out in Western Sydney if you wish to watch Rugby Lite on a good size screen.

Latest posts