What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 - Roosters vs Rabbitohs: Friday 15th March 7:55pm @SCG

mister squiggle

Juniors
I think you've nailed the starting 13 and even when George returns, i can see WB bringing him from the bench.
Lowe is a certainty for the bench imo.
I think you've nailed the starting 13 and even when George returns, i can see WB bringing him from the bench.

I agree with this top 13 as I think WB should pick this team by oldmate, its a very strong team although I want Johnston on the wing and eventually I want corey allan at FB and I think lowe/nicholls/knight with be the 3 bench forwards. but bayley sironen is a dark horse for the bench but I think knight will just pip him nicholls and lowe""s stats both have a very high work rate similar to murray there is still one spot on the bench remaining but I wish it was adam douehi but once adam heals properly from his ACL OP he will be positively back on the bench for sure with open arms. the papers are knocking our credentials on the bench I believe they are totally totally wrong and will have egg all over their faces in due time well before rd26 comes around,anywayi believe our bench is very good indeed especially when tom amone returns.

mister squiggle

Juniors

I forgot about dean britt I think he is close now to being at full fitness hmmmm its getting interesting before rd1 even bayley sironen can play quite a few positions all over the park I just wonder if the bench will be lowe/nicholls/knight/sironen that's not a bad bench interesting times ahead.

I'm hearing GI is not fit and may not be for 2 or 3 rounds. Massively disappointing if true.

From what I hear the back 5 will be :

FB - AJ
LW - Graham
LC - Burns
RC - Gagai
RW - Allan

It appears Graham will get first crack at Jennings vacant left wing spot, and for those who like a flutter he is paying up to $67 as Top Tryscorer with bookies and excellent value in my opinion.

ThingFish

Juniors
Roosters RD1 stats under Trent Robinson

2-4 in total
0-3 against souths

We are also 1-5 against souths in the first meeting of the season although we are 6-0 in the 2nd clash of the season.

Will this continue?
It’s gong to be interesting. Mainly because Wayne Bennett trained teams are rather slow starters to the season as well. The problem we’ve had recently is great starts, but fade at the tail end. One thing both TR and WB teams do well is finish a season. So I reckon our 2nd clash will be a beauty, Friday’s maybe not so much.

callmack1

Staff member
Super excited to see the team shortly, I think it will be this,

1. Johnston
2. Gagai
3. Burns
4. Inglis (C)
5. Graham
6. Walker
7. Reynolds
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. T.Burgess
11. Sutton
12. S.Burgess
13. Murray

14. Lowe
15. Knight
16. Turner
17. Kennedy

Looking a little light on the bench but I guess all will be revealed soon!!

callmack1

Staff member
Aj
Gagai
GI
Burns
Graham
Cody
Adam
Jr
Cook
Tom
Sutto
Sam
Cam Murray

Knight
Nicholls
Lowe
Allan
Turner
Tracey
Kennedy
Hiroti

callmack1

Staff member
Line Up is in!!!

Rabbitohs name Squads for Round 1 NRL and Canterbury Cup: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...squads-for-round-1-vs-nrl-and-canterbury-cup/

Really happy with that!! Starting 13 is just as we expected, a very strong side. On the bench, it's great to see Nicholls is good to go, I thought he was injured but having him there will be valuable. Also good to see Allan named in the 17, I assume it's as cover for GI if he can't play but you never know, he might just stay there even if GI can play and fill a utility role. Turner could come in if GI is sweet as but he has also been named in the NSW Cup side so I'm not so sure about that.

Either way, solid Line Up!! So excited!!!

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
Love the new Rabbitohs Insider show each week, it's awesome!!

Rabbitohs Insider Round 1: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/03/13/rabbitohs-insider-round-1/

Community to Benefit from Boost to Souths Cares: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...benefit-from-boost-to-rabbitohs-souths-cares/

Souths Cares Make National News: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/03/13/souths-cares-make-national-news/

NRL Shorts - GI’s ‘lethal’ session: https://www.foxsports.com.au/news/n...n/news-story/f32ab7fb661c205f2382efdd999369de

Last edited:

Oldmate

Juniors
I’m not pinning my hopes and dreams of number 22 on the back of Allen. Kid can obviously plan and has big wraps on him but you really can’t rush these things. People constantly slate Aj and a big part of that is his supposed lack of ball playing ability. Last year he scored 8 tries and made 11 try assists. The most assists from a fullback in the comp was Moylan with 16. When they sweep the backline he always had a hand in points, the idea that he can’t ball play is a joke. Watch the charity shield again he was serving them up on a plate, his decision making and speed near the line is insane! Nothing against Allen but he’s totally untested and even at reserve grade last year his stats weren’t as prolific as Johnstons. Aj is still young and I’ve got a feeling he might surprise a few this year

Go Bunnies

Juniors
I’m not pinning my hopes and dreams of number 22 on the back of Allen. Kid can obviously plan and has big wraps on him but you really can’t rush these things. People constantly slate Aj and a big part of that is his supposed lack of ball playing ability. Last year he scored 8 tries and made 11 try assists. The most assists from a fullback in the comp was Moylan with 16. When they sweep the backline he always had a hand in points, the idea that he can’t ball play is a joke. Watch the charity shield again he was serving them up on a plate, his decision making and speed near the line is insane! Nothing against Allen but he’s totally untested and even at reserve grade last year his stats weren’t as prolific as Johnstons. Aj is still young and I’ve got a feeling he might surprise a few this year
So true. People who haven’t even see Allan play are talking him up as if he’s Ponga. He wasn’t even the best fullback in Qld Cup last year so he has a bit to prove.
Re AJ - as you said , had a hand in backline movements, resulting in tries but doesn’t seem to get the wraps from the commentators that other players would get for the same pass.

ThingFish

Juniors
So true. People who haven’t even see Allan play are talking him up as if he’s Ponga. He wasn’t even the best fullback in Qld Cup last year so he has a bit to prove.
Re AJ - as you said , had a hand in backline movements, resulting in tries but doesn’t seem to get the wraps from the commentators that other players would get for the same pass.
I just find it too hard to get on the AJ train anymore. You start the season on a Japanese bullet train to Tokyo, then the inevitable torn hammy comes, and you end the season on a crowded red rattler to Mumbai.

I agree that the season should start with AJ at the back and hopefully he does enough to stay there injury free. But I’m glad we have Allen up our sleeve.

assess5

Juniors

I don't know where you get that bit about Johnston has a 'supposed lack of ball playing ability'.
I certainly don't agree with that.
What I believe and have stated many times is that Johnston refuses to tackle, particularly when defending his try line. Time and again he has failed to stop trys being scored.
That's why Inglis needs to be fullback until someone better, maybe Allen, is developed.
Maybe the new coach can get Johnston to put his body on the line, no one would be happier than I to see Johnston become an hundred percent footballer which, at present, he's not.

For examples I refer you to the finals game against the Roosters when their coach told his players 'run the ball at Johnston'. They did and the won.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Updated 19-man squad for Round 1: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/03/14/rabbitohs-updated-19-man-squad-for-round-1/

Dane Gagai opens up on new Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett’s positional switches: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/3e93fb83464e13bd838365760f378e7e

'Drama queens' - Bennett backs stand down policy but takes aim at hysteria: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/14...-stand-down-policy-but-takes-aim-at-hysteria/

Rise of Braidon Burns forces Greg Inglis to all-star right edge: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/14/rise-of-braidon-burns-forces-greg-inglis-to-all-star-right-edge/

Latest posts