What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Round 3 - Vs Roosters

Hellray

Juniors
Jd needs to take responsibility for this.
keaon on the left was the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. He moved him to the right in the second half and the dude made 12 tackle breaks.
moale is rubbish. Tom is rubbish. Tatola is a shadow of his former self.
we are getting bashed through the middle.
embarrassing when host was in our top 3 players.
1. Gray
2. Johnston
3. Trell
4. Tass
5. Thompson/ Munro
6. Jack
7. Cody
8. Shaq. At least he has a go.
9. Cookie
10. Tatola. He doesn’t look fit.
11. Tallis
12. Keaon. On the right.
13. Murray. He’s going to be f**ked if he keeps having to tackle like that.
Yeah how good and dangerous did Koala look when they shifted him back to his natural side! (This is also why Ilias struggled somewhat as he didn’t have his pal and hole running buddy beside him)

Thumper

Juniors
I agree with most of your assessment, but Moale, and Havili they get taken off after 15mins, and then don't return to the game until scrub mins. What kind of rotation is that?
And yeah, Keon was effective when moved to the right (I agree it was ludicrous to start him on left) but that effectiveness was for a 10-15min spell. He should be Souths best toward, after Murray, but overall, after 3 games, he has been one of the worst, IMO
While I am now ready to accept it, I don't see any coach move Trell out to center, maybe maybe Bennett, or Sam.
Cook is pretty much finished. If Ilias had more of a running game, I'd put him there, because Mamazouelos ain't it.
But as Travitoh said, this is all the end result of poor recruiting, poor management. The team lineup is really unbalanced, and the newer recruits don't really solve the problems that were originally there. Namely a poor, non-dominant foward pack. The decent ones in the past, (Tatola, Burgess, Cook) are all old, and pretty much done.
Agree the rotation was shit. Moale was rubbish round 1. His try last week was a positive but he was we still poor and he only did 3 hit ups for the game last night. So possibly only had 1 or 2 in his first stint. That’s not what we want from a starting prop.
Havili was good last week. Looked like a deer in the headlights last night starting at 9.
soft forward pack. No aggression.

Travitoh

First Grade
Moale needs to drop to NSW Cup to get minutes and develop fitness so he can become an effective first grade prop. Playing 20 minutes every week does nothing for his development and he has plateaued as a result.

Jye Gray needs to come into the team at 14. Unless Duncan can play a bit of dummy half, Havili is a good bench option as he can play hooker if needed or forward minutes. Then pick two props, Shaq and Tom? I would also like to see Koala get time in the middle. Get the ball in his hands. That leaves us very light at second row but i honestly think Milne could do a job. He's a strong runner, let him go at the opponents half. Gagai was good enough in Vegas to hold the wing until Munro returns. This leaves an average of 48 minutes per prop + Havili/Duncan. That should be achievable in the modern game.

Thumper

Juniors
I
Moale needs to drop to NSW Cup to get minutes and develop fitness so he can become an effective first grade prop. Playing 20 minutes every week does nothing for his development and he has plateaued as a result.

Jye Gray needs to come into the team at 14. Unless Duncan can play a bit of dummy half, Havili is a good bench option as he can play hooker if needed or forward minutes. Then pick two props, Shaq and Tom? I would also like to see Koala get time in the middle. Get the ball in his hands. That leaves us very light at second row but i honestly think Milne could do a job. He's a strong runner, let him go at the opponents half. Gagai was good enough in Vegas to hold the wing until Munro returns. This leaves an average of 48 minutes per prop + Havili/Duncan. That should be achievable in the modern game.
Tom has shown nothing in the first 3 rounds. Milne tries hard. He just lacks football ability.

Rabbits20

Immortal
My thoughts on last night and a few general thoughts

Well looks like Sam concerns were exactly justified and proving to be true. Makes me wonder if there is a big divide in the playing group as they aren’t playing for each other or the coach. Our confidence is fully shot as well.

We do not look fit at all we look lethargic no grit no determination. Schoolboy errors. Nothing. This was Murray 150th, Milne 50th and Wighton first game back. It was against our arch rivals and we couldn’t get up for it so what will we be up for.

We have a big issue in our forward pack. We are extremely soft there is no mongrel nothing all very soft. Tatola form is still down he’s not making enough metres he doesn’t look the same player. Moale form is well well down he’s struggling looks lethargic gives away penalties misses tackles. I thought Cook wasn’t too bad last night he ran when he could but our play the balls are so slow. Havili was terrible at dummy half and at the back end made a poor error in the forwards he looks off the pace. Keaon defence isn’t good enough and he looks like he’s going through the motions. Had some good runs but that stupid error tackle 2 after half time isn’t acceptable. He’s not running the ball hard either. Hosty is Hosty I guess he did his job last night. Murray well what can you say the bloke is doing so so much he looks so exhausted. Duncan was solid when on didn’t get many mins. Keppie well I’m not impressed poor errors gives penalties away he’s looking like another Liam Knight. I must credit Tom when he came on he did at least bend the line back and have a dig.

Now the backs well Trell he did have some good hit ups out of yardage. We got a six again attacking after the Keaon break and tackle zero he throws a foolish pass to Cody I’m sorry it’s just not good enough. When we make a break or half break where is Trell? He’s never there at all. Then we concede so many tries off kicks there was a couple there last night where he was so out of position and walking not even trying that attitude is not on from a marquee player. Then on the Teddy thing some thought it was harsh I didn’t it was dumb and it was a professional foul. I kinda feel like Trell thinks he partly runs our club and that’s the culture that’s been built. Someone needs to pull him into the line I feel and yes it’s not all on him I know behind a beaten pack but his effort errors are dreadful and he’s meant to control the defensive line from the back. We pay him big money and what he’s dishing uo is not good enough. We must concede the most tries off kicks in the competition. AJ well he’s lost quite an amount of pace and he’s making some poor decisions defensively on that edge. Mind you not all his fault our defensive structures are dog poo and that’s on JD. Tass doesn’t seem to be the same player as last year it’s a worry. Wighton had some very good touches last night but was caught all at sea in defence a few times he has to be much better than that no point rushing in if you can’t cut it off. Milne gave it his everything yes he’s slow I get it but you can never fault the effort of the bloke if only the others put in.

Now the halves Cody is playing terribly and doesn’t look fit. Looks like he’s put on a bit of weight too. Cody missing 7 tackles last night isn’t good enough. He looks so slow in attack and is taking lots of wrong actions. He looks like a defeated man his confidence his shot. One positive was that ball to Hosty that’s a bit like the Cody we know.

Now Hawko JD better not drop him next week. That wouldn’t be fair on he or Lachy. I heard Lachy had a strong first half in Cup yesterday but struggled in the second half with poor errors and options. I thought Hawko kicking game was mixed some good some bad he did at least find the grass on some of his kicks. With the ball he looked ok I thought he linked up with Cody quite well at times that was a positive sign and Hawko did get his hands on the ball. He also took on the line a few times which I liked. He wasn’t too bad in defence. He wasn’t great but wasn’t poor either he was solid and I feel he deserves another few weeks at it.

Overall very disappointing the side does not look fit and I don’t see much of a game plan in attack. Trell and Cody take some blame for sure but don’t deserve the whole blame when we have a pack that is playing like powder puffs. We absolutely got carved up in the middle and on the edges. I’d actually say our defence with JD as defensive coach is worse than when Sam Burges controlled the defence.

I am not sure where we go but JD doesn’t have the answers it seems. He’s dead man walking. And in the club I reckon there are some issues everything is soft where has the ruthlessness gone our culture like what do we stand for what’s our identity it seems we’ve lost it. We look like an ageing team as well in need of some young youth. I think we need a bit of a clean out and to start the re build. Long season ahead sorry folks and it really does hurt that it’s come to this. Back to the dark days.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Everyone keeps talking about our backline depth but im really concerned about our prop rotation. We dont seem to have any enforcers in the pack and Cameron Murray seems to be left to be the tackle bot in the middle of the field which is such a waste of talent. Our forwards get put on their back in every run and dont get over the advantage line at all. It all seemed to happen after Sam Burgess left for England...

I would be shocked if we lost next week to the bulldogs because theyre pretty much a reserve grade team but after tonight nothing will surprise me this season..

Travitoh

First Grade
I

Tom has shown nothing in the first 3 rounds. Milne tries hard. He just lacks football ability.
Tom has 10+ years of work that he deserves benefit of the doubt for now. It's his final year with us and he has never been one to phone it in. And even in his current poor form, he's still one of our best props available.
I'm not Milne's biggest fan but you're correct, he tries hard. He should be rewarded for that and not hung out to dry in a position that he has regularly struggled in. I think he can do a job in a position that our next best option is Chee Kam.

Steenson123

Juniors
You all keep missing the point.
It does NOT matter who is in or out. That is immaterial.
You can put King Kong and the Hulkster up front ...the result will not change.
The issue is Demetriou. He cannot coach and he does not know how to lead. For Cruyff's sake Mansour came out and spewed all over him! Sam B was sent packing by this Fraud?
Stephen A Smith and Bayliss would have an absolute field. day with Demetriou. Tear him to shreds. Smith would call for his instant dismissal and go on a diatribe about how egregious this man is as a Coach and how he cannot be a leader of men.
I would IMMEDIATELY appoint someone like McGregor or even Griffin to take over OR Hornby.... as long as the players do not feel like the latter was too close to the Fraud.
All supporters are seeking is an 80 minute effort and no idiotic errors. The Fraud will keep delivering this merde until Management steps up. Where are they? Do they truly believe the Fraud will turn this North after going 4-12 for months???

Steenson123

Juniors
Li
Everyone keeps talking about our backline depth but im really concerned about our prop rotation. We dont seem to have any enforcers in the pack and Cameron Murray seems to be left to be the tackle bot in the middle of the field which is such a waste of talent. Our forwards get put on their back in every run and dont get over the advantage line at all. It all seemed to happen after Sam Burgess left for England...

I would be shocked if we lost next week to the bulldogs because theyre pretty much a reserve grade team but after tonight nothing will surprise me this season..
Listen I shall give you a money tip. Back Canterbury to WIN BIG its already a done deal. They will at least show determination and make far less could care less errors. I even heard Slater last night continually complain that no one was jumping to take Easts' basic punts. The players do NOT want to be on the paddock for Demetriou its that simple!!

Steenson123

Juniors
y
My thoughts on last night and a few general thoughts

Well looks like Sam concerns were exactly justified and proving to be true. Makes me wonder if there is a big divide in the playing group as they aren’t playing for each other or the coach. Our confidence is fully shot as well.

We do not look fit at all we look lethargic no grit no determination. Schoolboy errors. Nothing. This was Murray 150th, Milne 50th and Wighton first game back. It was against our arch rivals and we couldn’t get up for it so what will we be up for.

We have a big issue in our forward pack. We are extremely soft there is no mongrel nothing all very soft. Tatola form is still down he’s not making enough metres he doesn’t look the same player. Moale form is well well down he’s struggling looks lethargic gives away penalties misses tackles. I thought Cook wasn’t too bad last night he ran when he could but our play the balls are so slow. Havili was terrible at dummy half and at the back end made a poor error in the forwards he looks off the pace. Keaon defence isn’t good enough and he looks like he’s going through the motions. Had some good runs but that stupid error tackle 2 after half time isn’t acceptable. He’s not running the ball hard either. Hosty is Hosty I guess he did his job last night. Murray well what can you say the bloke is doing so so much he looks so exhausted. Duncan was solid when on didn’t get many mins. Keppie well I’m not impressed poor errors gives penalties away he’s looking like another Liam Knight. I must credit Tom when he came on he did at least bend the line back and have a dig.

Now the backs well Trell he did have some good hit ups out of yardage. We got a six again attacking after the Keaon break and tackle zero he throws a foolish pass to Cody I’m sorry it’s just not good enough. When we make a break or half break where is Trell? He’s never there at all. Then we concede so many tries off kicks there was a couple there last night where he was so out of position and walking not even trying that attitude is not on from a marquee player. Then on the Teddy thing some thought it was harsh I didn’t it was dumb and it was a professional foul. I kinda feel like Trell thinks he partly runs our club and that’s the culture that’s been built. Someone needs to pull him into the line I feel and yes it’s not all on him I know behind a beaten pack but his effort errors are dreadful and he’s meant to control the defensive line from the back. We pay him big money and what he’s dishing uo is not good enough. We must concede the most tries off kicks in the competition. AJ well he’s lost quite an amount of pace and he’s making some poor decisions defensively on that edge. Mind you not all his fault our defensive structures are dog poo and that’s on JD. Tass doesn’t seem to be the same player as last year it’s a worry. Wighton had some very good touches last night but was caught all at sea in defence a few times he has to be much better than that no point rushing in if you can’t cut it off. Milne gave it his everything yes he’s slow I get it but you can never fault the effort of the bloke if only the others put in.

Now the halves Cody is playing terribly and doesn’t look fit. Looks like he’s put on a bit of weight too. Cody missing 7 tackles last night isn’t good enough. He looks so slow in attack and is taking lots of wrong actions. He looks like a defeated man his confidence his shot. One positive was that ball to Hosty that’s a bit like the Cody we know.

Now Hawko JD better not drop him next week. That wouldn’t be fair on he or Lachy. I heard Lachy had a strong first half in Cup yesterday but struggled in the second half with poor errors and options. I thought Hawko kicking game was mixed some good some bad he did at least find the grass on some of his kicks. With the ball he looked ok I thought he linked up with Cody quite well at times that was a positive sign and Hawko did get his hands on the ball. He also took on the line a few times which I liked. He wasn’t too bad in defence. He wasn’t great but wasn’t poor either he was solid and I feel he deserves another few weeks at it.

Overall very disappointing the side does not look fit and I don’t see much of a game plan in attack. Trell and Cody take some blame for sure but don’t deserve the whole blame when we have a pack that is playing like powder puffs. We absolutely got carved up in the middle and on the edges. I’d actually say our defence with JD as defensive coach is worse than when Sam Burges controlled the defence.

I am not sure where we go but JD doesn’t have the answers it seems. He’s dead man walking. And in the club I reckon there are some issues everything is soft where has the ruthlessness gone our culture like what do we stand for what’s our identity it seems we’ve lost it. We look like an ageing team as well in need of some young youth. I think we need a bit of a clean out and to start the re build. Long season ahead sorry folks and it really does hurt that it’s come to this. Back to the dark days.
You are correct in regard to identity. Exactly what is THE IDENTITY of this club? Is it as a psuedo social activist set up and aboriginal issues [which can only be adequately dealt with by Economic Planning] OR is it there to compete for Titles as Penrith Melbourne Easts and others intend to do? You mention the softness of the Management. Well where is Crowe himself, the so called Gladiator and ardent supporter of The Book of Feuds? What has happened to HIM? Gone for a Tosca or too much Woke indoctrination? One wonders if the Owner has disassociated himself from what has been building for 7 months!!

Thumper

Juniors
The issue is Demetriou. He cannot coach and he does not know how to lead. For Cruyff's sake Mansour came out and spewed all over him! Sam B was sent packing by this Fraud?
Stephen A Smith and Bayliss would have an absolute field. day with Demetriou. Tear him to shreds. Smith would call for his instant dismissal and go on a diatribe about how egregious this man is as a Coach and how he cannot be a leader of men.
I would IMMEDIATELY appoint someone like McGregor or even Griffin to take over OR Hornby.... as long as the players do not feel like the latter was too close to the Fraud.
All supporters are seeking is an 80 minute effort and no idiotic errors. The Fraud will keep delivering this merde until Management steps up. Where are they? Do they truly believe the Fraud will turn this North after going 4-12 for months???
Lucky you are not in charge. Griffin or McGregor. Hahaha. Laughable.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Mcgregor or Griffin... Mate i understand you dont like JD but those two options are taking the piss... Both of them ran the dragons and did sweet FA..

Its obvious to me that JD can coach because at the beginnihg of last season we looked awesome and our defence looked better than it ever was under Wayne Bennett.

The club obviously has a lot of faith in JD. part of me wonders if this slow start to the season is due to the fact we burned out so hard last season near the end and this is a tactical thing.

I think he used these in his example as they are so poor. Took a bit of licence.

But good question, JD he’s lost the plot, who should you be sounding out?

Id be looking at Morris. No favours and move fathead on.

Hastings, looking to move out from the knights, solid player ( 50% of renno though) a Lomax would help.

Last edited:

assess5

Juniors
I'd like Russell Crowe to give Sam Burgess a phone call and say 'don't worry about those two years we agreed on, come take over now, mate'.

Hellray

Juniors
I just can’t see Burgess coming back before his contract is up….
He left on sour terms, he is enjoying being back in England and has his brother coming to play for him next year which was half the reason Tom signed with them.

the earliest we see Sam as a south’s coach would be 2026

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Mcgregor or Griffin... Mate i understand you dont like JD but those two options are taking the piss... Both of them ran the dragons and did sweet FA..

Its obvious to me that JD can coach because at the beginnihg of last season we looked awesome and our defence looked better than it ever was under Wayne Bennett.

The club obviously has a lot of faith in JD. part of me wonders if this slow start to the season is due to the fact we burned out so hard last season near the end and this is a tactical thing.
I don't think it's tactical.
I think there's problems.
But I'm not 100% convinced it's the problems the media is portraying. I think it's more complex.
I'm not sure Murray and Mitchell are getting on.
And the roster is aging with no new young blood coming in.
It's taken me a long while, but I'm convinced Mitchell has to play centre if Souths are gonna improve. Problem is that any coach, maybe even Bennett included, makes that change, and a shit storm will be unleashed.

Hellray

Juniors
I don't think it's tactical.
I think there's problems.
But I'm not 100% convinced it's the problems the media is portraying. I think it's more complex.
I'm not sure Murray and Mitchell are getting on.
And the roster is aging with no new young blood coming in.
It's taken me a long while, but I'm convinced Mitchell has to play centre if Souths are gonna improve. Problem is that any coach, maybe even Bennett included, makes that change, and a shit storm will be unleashed.
Murray’s body language in the press conference makes me agree with you. He just looks over it.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Murray’s body language in the press conference makes me agree with you. He just looks over it.
I don't wanna make a big thing about it because I'm an outsider, but the Murray-Latrell "thing" started last year when Murray had a crack at Latrell's positional play. Which resulted in Anasta putting together that video highlight of that game with Latrell, highlighting what Murray was saying, remember?
That pretty much was when the Rabbitohs slide started.
Maybe it's just coincidence.