What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 team to face the Raiders

abpanther

Staff member
The new season is upon us guys, what do you expect the team to look like for week 1?

I'm guessing something like this (assuming Manu injured)

1. Whare
2. Simmons
3. Tighe
4. Waqaima
5. Mansour
6. Coote
7. Walsh
8. Grant
9. Kingston
10. McKendry
11. Brown
12. Newton
13. Smith

Bench
14. Segayaro
15. Austin
16. Plum
17. Simpkins

abpanther

Staff member
Incredibly underwhelming

I really hope Austin starts this year, at least if we're not gonna be competitive lets blood a few youngsters for the future

Abacus

Juniors
That bench looks light on - probably need to add Latimore or Weston for Simpkins since we're playing Canberra with their big forwards.

franklin2323

Immortal
Sadly you have the starting team right.

Latimore & Plum were the interchange props in the trials. Given Masoe & KOD didn't play in the last trial. Weston seems to not be in the picture. I assume they will keep their spots.

Even if Cherrington is not yet match fit. Austin, Docker & Robinson should get starts over Newton/Simpkins. We need players that can offer something off the bench especially.

Smith/Plum/Latimore don't offer much in the way of attack. Smith is atleast a tackle machine and Plum can hit hard. Actually it wouldn't hurt if Grantor McKendry had an offload. They still offer metres.so are fine in the team.

Big Mick

Referee
1. Dean Whare, 2. David Simmons, 3. Wes Naiqama, 4. Brad Tighe, 5. Josh Mansour, 6. Lachlan Coote, 7. Luke Walsh, 8. Tim Grant, 9. Kevin Kingston, 10. Sam McKendry, 11. Lewis Brown, 12. Clint Newton, 13. Nathan Smith
RES: 14. James Segeyaro, 15. Jeremy Latimore, 16. Sika Manu, 17. Dayne Weston

Panther Pete

Juniors
I hate to write the boys off before we play a game but that team doesn't really offer too much to get excited about. A decent half and two quality backs certainly wouldn't go astray.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Incredibly underwhelming

I really hope Austin starts this year, at least if we're not gonna be competitive lets blood a few youngsters for the future

I'm overwhelmed every time I watch my Panthers Play, always have been, maybe that's just me.

maple_69

Bench
We're in trouble..lets hope those changes come quickly when they need to because we're only 3 odd changes off a decent team.

mxlegend99

Referee
I would say the sides listed above would be close to spot on. My ideal squad based on healthy players would be:

1. Matt Moylan
2. Travis Robinson
3. Dean Whare
4. Brad Tighe (James Roberts when fit)
5. Josh Mansour
6. Lachlan Coote
7. Blake Austin
8. Tim Grant
9. Kevin Kingston
10. Sam McKendry
11. Lewis Brown
12. Matt Robinson
13. Nathan Smith

14. Nigel Plum
15. Jeremy Latimore
16. Dayne Weston
17. James Segayaro

If Sika Manu is available, he starts in the 12 and Robinson goes to the bench in place of either Weston or Plum. From the trial matches I thought Blake Austin was the best former at halfback, even though it's not a position that suits his strengths. The strengths he does have should leave us better off then with Walsh at half. Not that it's even a one in a million chance that Cleary would do it.

franklin2323

Immortal
We're in trouble..lets hope those changes come quickly when they need to because we're only 3 odd changes off a decent team.

Yeah. It took 20 rounds last year to make the changes many thought were needed. Hopefully by round 10 we have our top 17 playing.

Big Mick

Referee
Take out Weston put in Plum and swap Newton for Sika Manu and it is the same as my team:

1. Dean Whare, 2. David Simmons, 3. Wes Naiqama, 4. Brad Tighe, 5. Josh Mansour, 6. Lachlan Coote, 7. Luke Walsh, 8. Tim Grant, 9. Kevin Kingston, 10. Sam McKendry, 11. Lewis Brown, 12. Sika Manu, 13. Nathan Smith
RES: 14. James Segeyaro, 15. Jeremy Latimore, 16. Clint Newton, 17. Nigel Plum, 18. Adam Docker

Last edited:

Sharkie73

Bench
Personally I think the Panthers should have gone with a backline of;

1. Moylan
2. Simmons
3. Whare
4. Naiqama
5. Mansour