What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 team to face the Raiders

maple_69

Bench
Its actually a great point Gong and potentially what Cleary is trying to establish. We've been woeful at the basics like not giving away dumb penalties, dumb errors as well as the 1 percenters for a long time. Hopefully we see a Wayne Bennett style approach (circa dragons 09) and we have a team of average first graders who play like a team and work their bollocks off. Then once we have standards and pride we slowly bring the talent through to develop in the right environment.

Just a theory. Hope Im right..

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Yeah the last few seasons the number of dumb penalties for holding down in the tackle deep in the opposition half killed me. Also the lack of imagination inside the opposition 20. One out stuff that was easily contained. If Cleary can fix these I will be happy.

mxlegend99

Referee
Good game today. We should have scored a lot more points with the field position and possession we had, but it was great to see us trying to be creative and managing to score points. Walsh tried to take on the line and looked a bit better, but he also struggled to make the most of our field position. Everyone put in and played hard.

Can't help but feel a little lucky the opposition didn't show up on the day. I didn't feel comfortable until we managed to extend on our 10 point lead. It just felt like the game could turn at any moment until then.

abpanther

Staff member
I didn't get to watch it but listened on radio, sounds like our forwards was very good, including Plum and Latimore. Also Mansour was good?

murraymob

Coach
how about we enjoy the win instead of looking for faults.Considering how hot it was today a big win.There is always more droped ball on a hot day.
The big thing for me was the ball movement .The 6 new guys on show all had big games.Cleary has a definate plan of turning the club results around .Great to see

Iafeta

Referee
Good win from Penrith. This Ivan Cleary is a classy coach. I think its becoming very apparent from those guys who were coached by him at the Warriors, and how many of them have found a way eventually to get back under him. Well done, I think Penrith are in for a good year.

Good luck for the rest of the year.

chrisD

Coach
We coudl have put a hundred on with the amount of chances we had, but our backline plays and 5th tackle options were terrible, we're going to struggle for points most games but that's understandable given the roster, support play could be better. Put that aside and we were excellent all around, Cleary deserves a lot of praise for the discipline and drive.

Manu was bloody hungry out there which was awesome, so much for going missing. Mansour our best. Segeyaro and Brown great too. Whare and Wes were good but just cogs in a backline that isn't functioning smoothly.

He played Segeyaro and Kingston both on the field for a lot of the game, Kingston got the ball in a ball playing position a few times, not his go but at least Cleary is trying things. Frankly I think we could just phase Kingston out.

Did Wes have an issue or was taking him off and playing Brown at centre a deliberate thing?

Panther Pete

Juniors
What a great first up effort!!! Our intensity was up for the entire game which impressed me a lot considering how hot it was. Early days but there are some good signs there.

murraymob

Coach
We coudl have put a hundred on with the amount of chances we had, but our backline plays and 5th tackle options were terrible, we're going to struggle for points most games but that's understandable given the roster, support play could be better. Put that aside and we were excellent all around, Cleary deserves a lot of praise for the discipline and drive.

Manu was bloody hungry out there which was awesome, so much for going missing. Mansour our best. Segeyaro and Brown great too. Whare and Wes were good but just cogs in a backline that isn't functioning smoothly.

He played Segeyaro and Kingston both on the field for a lot of the game, Kingston got the ball in a ball playing position a few times, not his go but at least Cleary is trying things. Frankly I think we could just phase Kingston out.

Did Wes have an issue or was taking him off and playing Brown at centre a deliberate thing?

wes picked up a leg or hip injury

abpanther

Staff member
Good win from Penrith. This Ivan Cleary is a classy coach. I think its becoming very apparent from those guys who were coached by him at the Warriors, and how many of them have found a way eventually to get back under him. Well done, I think Penrith are in for a good year.

Good luck for the rest of the year.

As I was reading your post I thought you were being sarcastic, then realised you were being serious.

Thanks for the post, nice to hear some genuine feedback from a Warriors fan.

Certainly sounds like the team gave 100% effort and application, just need to work on execution and chemistry which will take some time

Kilkenny

Coach
I thought our effort from all 17 was terrific even if the execution was at times not the best. Things went our way but I thought all of our forwards did a great job and outplayed there counterparts which laid the foundation for the win. We will be difficult to beat this season, although not getting carried away. Nice to win at home and should get a better crowd at home against the Bunnies who obviously will be a far sterner test of where we are at.

franklin2323

Immortal
how about we enjoy the win instead of looking for faults.Considering how hot it was today a big win.There is always more droped ball on a hot day.

Yep. Backline terrible (shallow, terrible passes) some shocking decisions out there. Not just the halves. We spread it Whare kicks on the 2nd we had an overlap. The effort was there. Decent defence. A few lucky trys but the scoreline was probably what it should of been. Decent opener. Still plenty of work to do.

TeamSatan

Juniors
Really good effort.
The team spirit is high...We do lack some class but with enthusiasm shown today there will be some good wins.
All the new guys lifted.
Still a little sideways at times but the forwards looked very strong.

Big Mick

Referee
Expecting to come here and be happy and celebrate a first win of the season, only to find "Oh the other team didn't turn up" "We were pathetic here"

Just enjoy the win fellas!. It is a great night!

Last edited:

Graftonpanther

Juniors
I thought we played pretty good, a lot better than last year. The win was a good team win, I thought Brown, Manu, Whare, Latimore and Segeyaro had good first up games for us. Walsh played a lot better than he has previously and looked good when he ran the ball. I thought one of the most dangerous was Wes N when he was on the field. One thing I noticed was when both Segeyaro and Kingston were both on the field our play the balls were very quick. The best improvement would have to be the effort in defence, goes to show the difference when you get players from the Storm, Cowboys and Sea Eagles adding their defensive influences on the team. Not getting carried away but very good win IMO. Despite all the doom and gloom about Whare playing fullback I think he had a very good game, just my opinion. We won't be the easybeats everyone, including even some of our own fans say we will be.

Last edited:
What I liked the most about today is we kept control of the game. It really always looked like it was ours.

Which is pretty rare for us , lets be honest.

soc123_au

Staff member
Mick, I think you are reading too much into some of the comments. Personally I am stoked with the result. We lacked a bit of polish, but the effort was first class. The last set of the game summed the afternoon up perfectly. The game was won, yet our defence was driving them back like their lives depended on it. Plum getting a try out of it was a great reward. I havent seen that sort of effort from our boys in some time. If they continue to play like that all year I will be happy regardless of the scoreline.

Latest posts