What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 team to face the Raiders

Sharkie73

Bench
Of course but watch his try against Canberra at Penrith in 2011. Jennings drew 2. Simmons catches it and scores. Even the most basic u20's winger can do the same thing.

Compare him to Mansour. Mansour made 4-1 errors. Yet didn't cost us any games. However in 14 games he had the most hitups. Ave 250m a game. Not the fastest but does the job. Our leading tackle breaker. So give me that over a solid winger.

Round 25 last year. Look at the Jennings/Mansour try. Tighe/Simmons had the same situation on the right and didn't even get close. A winger that can break a tackle or more speed it's a try.

So you're upset that Jennings is a good center?

From memory in 2011 Simmons was actually up there with the most hitups for the Panthers as well as having a good meter average. Mansour is a worker and a darn good meter eater but Simmons also isn't afraid to get his hands dirty and do some work. Speaking of workers what ever happen to the winger Euisele? (No idea how to spell his name)

I don't know the try so I can't really comment.

Sharkie73

Bench
It's hard to be excited about the game when 4 of the first 7 names listed are blokes who shouldn't be anywhere near first grade, and at most clubs wouldn't be.

David Simmons isn't horrible, but he sure as hell aint much more then a reserve grader and when we got him from the Sharks he had been dropped to reserve grade there despite them having one of the worst backlines in the competition.

Wes Naiqama was unable to cement a spot in the Knights backline. He had his solid games, but he also had plenty of poor ones. He's another year older and honestly it makes no sense to throw him in ahead of many of our talented young guys with potential to be more then a fringe first grader. Heck we even have a few with some first grade behind them.

Brad Tighe has been deadset average for us for the past few seasons. he has pace when there's no one infront of him. But he offers nothing else. He isn't creative, doesn't bust tackles, doesn't set his winger up and doesn't make it through gaps. At best he should be on the wing to finish off backline movements with his pace, but even then we have more talented players for the wing.

Luke Walsh... hatd to see how he keeps his spot in the team when there have been a billion instances where him not being there has resulted in us actually scoring points. Or when he has been there our points have had nothing to do with his input. ie. 200+ minutes of football last year with him at halfback and no points. THen when we finally break the drought we do so through Burns creating the opportunity and Jennings scooting over from dummy half. Walsh gets injured and with a make do halfback we score a couple more tries. People claim we lack direction without him, yet despite that we manage to create more try scoring opportunities. Because his direction is about as predictable as it gets.

If these guys don't improve out of sight and still manage to keep their spots in the team despite injury, I won't be wasting my money to go and watch them play. Our team isn't going to win many games with these guys filling out the positions which usually contribute points to the team.

In 2009 Simmons was dropped not for poor form but because Ricky Stuart wasn't going to re-sign him and was going to focus on next year. Simmons was arguably our second best outside back in 2009 (behind Fergo). It was actually hard to watch. Simmons was carving up NSW Cup whilst we were being smashed in firsts.

Naiqama was an odd one for me when you signed him. I actually didn't see how he fit into Cleary's plans. It couldn't be fore experience because well... he isn't really. (On a side note is Simmons your most experienced player now?)

I've never rated Brad Tighe. I just don't understand how someone so quick can look so nonthreatening with the ball. The Sharks had the same problem with Isaac Gordon.

I rate Walsh as the worst half in the game. I just don't see how he's constantly selected. At first I though it was Elliot but now Cleary doing it too. I'll wait to see how he goes with Coote but maybe Humble is the option?

I agree with you on the most part, the only one I've never understood is all the Simmons hate. I mean he's a decent try scorer and safe in defense.

franklin2323

Immortal
Luke Walsh...People claim we lack direction without him, yet despite that we manage to create more try scoring opportunities. Because his direction is about as predictable as it gets.

The rest I agree with. Humble was terrible against Parra. Made Walsh look like Thurston. Austin isn't a half. Moylan isn't ready to be 7 in 1st grade. Isaac John is the best option but hasn't played a game yet. Should (when) Walsh fails ideally John's played a couple for Windsor and can slot straight in

abpanther

Staff member
Assuming Austin is fit I just don't see how he isn't named.

He got plenty of first grade experience last year, he's been re-signed so he's obviuosly in the plans long-term, why wouldn't you at least have him on the bench?

Pretty disappointing

Big Mick

Referee
FMD guys.

Can we save the bitching and moaning till after the game ffs.

It is growing real freakin tiresome reading some of the whining before a ball has even been f**kin kicked.

I'm not happy with the team either but I'll go with it for now and see how we perform before getting stuck in. What you are all saying may be right and I do agree with the majority of it, clearly, but can we just save it for now please.

abpanther

Staff member
No offence Mick but we all have the right to express our feelings and opinions on here.

The team named is pretty underwhelming, and yes you are correct we should all give them a fair go before making an assessment. They could very well surprise us.

Still doesn't change how we feel about it at the moment.

Big Mick

Referee
No offence Mick but we all have the right to express our feelings and opinions on here.

The team named is pretty underwhelming, and yes you are correct we should all give them a fair go before making an assessment. They could very well surprise us.

Still doesn't change how we feel about it at the moment.

That's fine but when it is constant whining about the same shit it is annoying.

Not that I blame you guys at all given the history of the club - they don't exactly inspire confidence, but can we just wait till after the game to slam all and sundry? It isn't that much to ask ffs. We already know what is going to be said after the game...

I'll summarise the post game comments right now if we lose on Sunday - we wont even need a game thread.
- Luke Walsh is shit we need to find a better halfback
- Kevin Kingston is too slow with his service and we need Segeyaro playing 80 minutes
- David Simmons is shit and we need Josh Mansour at fullback
- Dean Whare is shit at fullback and needs to move to centre asap
- Clint Newton is crap and slow and needs a stint in reserve grade, how Docker or Robinson can't get a look over him I have no idea
- Nathan Smith, he is a tackling machine but offers nothing in attack, WE NEED GAMEBREAKERS FFS. Put Austin in there
- Surely we can get some young players in there that would play better
- James Roberts needs to get back ASAP because Brad Tighe is crap and doesn't deserve to be near first grade.
- Sika Manu better start showing something because he looks like an Adam Blair style bust
- WTF is Wes Naiqama doing in the centres, put him NSW Cup why did we bother buying this guy, just like buying Ciraldo, Newton & Galea last year. Offers nothing.

Guarantee it.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Big Mick. Apart from Walsh it's the same team that was terrible against Parra in our final trial. So I have seen enough to suggest we need size off the bench and speed outwide. A few tweeks it's a decent team.

Anyone want to predict a crowd?

I would say 11k should be the most we can hope for.

Big Mick

Referee
It was terrible conditions in that trial....can't really judge purely based on that.

I could flip it and say our defense has improved as we didn't concede as many as we averaged last year, but then people would turn it around and say Parra are shit.

Those sort of games you have to grind it out and they did...

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
It was terrible conditions in that trial...anyone that uses that game as an indicator has rocks in their head imo.

I could flip it and say our defense has improved as we didn't concede as many as we averaged last year, but then people would turn it around and say Parra are shit.

Those sort of games you have to grind it out and they did...

I watched 2 trials. The 1st against the Tigers we scored some good long range tries but the structured was terrible

Our defence against Mid-lower table teams was fine. It's against the top teams and the 2 tries a game attack. Wet or not we still had nothing inside the 20.

That still looks to be the problem.

franklin2323

Immortal

Not that I blame you guys at all given the history of the club - they don't exactly inspire confidence, but can we just wait till after the game to slam all and sundry? It isn't that much to ask ffs. We already know what is going to be said after the game...

I'll summarise the post game comments right now if we lose on Sunday - we wont even need a game thread.
- Kevin Kingston is too slow with his service and we need Segeyaro playing 80 minutes
- Clint Newton is crap and slow and needs a stint in reserve grade, how Docker or Robinson can't get a look over him I have no idea
- Nathan Smith, he is a tackling machine but offers nothing in attack, WE NEED GAMEBREAKERS FFS. Put Austin in there
- James Roberts needs to get back ASAP because Brad Tighe is crap and doesn't deserve to be near first grade.
- Sika Manu better start showing something because he looks like an Adam Blair style bust
- WTF is Wes Naiqama doing in the centres, put him NSW Cup why did we bother buying this guy, just like buying Ciraldo, Newton & Galea last year. Offers nothing.

Guarantee it.

I am hoping to be proven wrong like 2010.

Every year post Lang has been the same 4-5 bad selection a game. Sadly results back those who critise.

The OX

Juniors
The beer will be cold - rain, hail or shine and regardless of the result.

And I doubt Cleary will make last minute changes because the LU forum writers arent happy.

Bring it on

Luke Bowden

First Grade
The beer will be cold - rain, hail or shine and regardless of the result.

And I doubt Cleary will make last minute changes because the LU forum writers arent happy.

Bring it on

Well Said Ox!!!!

Bring on the FOOTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

murraymob

Coach

Guarantee it.
some are very valid points

GongPanther

Referee
Knocking on at the dummy half and passing to the first receiver who is off-side really got to me in the past two years as the Panthers really need to tidy up the small areas of their game.

Now that we have practically a roster with a lot of new faces with a vast amount of experience from winning cultures,hopefully all that crap has left us.

Bring on a new season,a new winning season.