What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Team

kit66

Bench
There is no way Lafai will be on the wing,that's just ludicrous!

Probably not but you can't blame people for trying to squeeze Aitken into the starting 17. Young fella did so well for us last year, it will seem an injustice to have him in the Cutters but that's a distinct possibility.

I did a team with Mann on the wing ( and got bagged for it ) but you'd likely see him on the wing before a few other options being suggested. If you can play fullback you should be able to handle wing. If Dugan stays at fb and Mata-utia heads north then Mann's a good choice ahead of FFL or Quinlan - unless of course Milne surprises everyone.

BennyV

Referee
Probably not but you can't blame people for trying to squeeze Aitken into the starting 17. Young fella did so well for us last year, it will seem an injustice to have him in the Cutters but that's a distinct possibility.

I did a team with Mann on the wing ( and got bagged for it ) but you'd likely see him on the wing before a few other options being suggested. If you can play fullback you should be able to handle wing. If Dugan stays at fb and Mata-utia heads north then Mann's a good choice ahead of FFL or Quinlan - unless of course Milne surprises everyone.

True, but it doesn't mean that you do. Mann's ability at fullback come from intelligence and ball playing ability, neither of which are huge attributes on the wing (although not exactly a deterrent). He doesn't have lightning quick speed, although does have some agility...he isn't particularly able to out jump opposition players or 'thread the needle' to score in the corner. He isn't big or strong enough to make effective metres out of dummy half. I just don't think his strengths at fullback will transfer to a successful winger over, say, KFFL (who is at least big and quick-ish) or even Milne (who is completely raw, but bubbling with potential).

If Dugan plays fullback, there's no shame in Mann being first backup for 1, 6 and 7 (he would definitely get game time in this situation). No point trying to squeeze players into unnatural positions where they won't contribute a great deal. LIkewise, if Mann does start fullback, there's no shame in Aitken being first backup in the centres, where he will still get game time throughout the year, he is only young and as good as he played, he has things to work on. It just means that there are 2 better options ahead of him in Dugan and Lafai.

Last edited:
V

Vasilevsky

Yeah, at first when Mann was announced he was a sure thing at fullback or centre. Of course just because he was poached from Melbourne, therefore he must be better than any Dragons locals no matter that in first grade he has never given any indication he is half the player of Aitken. Now Lafai is a certainty for centre ahead of Aitken because...... the Grubs didn't want him and are almost certainly paying part of his salary. You know, the team that beat us by 1 point in extra time after taking out our main playmaker with 1/4 of the game remaining.

FFS, what is with the inferiority complex that has infected this forum?? Supercoach Price was an aberration, not the new normal. The enemy raid out juniors, not vice-versa.

Speaking of which, I have said previously I'm really happy with the forward recruitment and the way the pack is looking for this season (provided Mitch Rein has learned to pass consistently well out of dummy half.) Ditto for the halves who now have back-up when or if Benji or Widdop are out. The outside backs are still very problematic. Nightingale is still very good but just as a hard working winger, not a game-breaker. Dugan is a superstar but apart from that, unless Milne or Carr or Aitken to a greater extent really steps up, the attack is going to remain a problem.

giboz71

First Grade
Aitken will get his chance if he is good enough. Having Mann and Lafai if anything will spur him to even greater heights as there is a clear competition for spots.

Would you have preferred we didn't recruit Mann and Lafai and have Peter M and Aitken cruise through the season as our centres with no one to push them?

Last edited:
V

Vasilevsky

Aitken will get his chance if he is good enough. Having Mann and Lafai if anything will spur him to even greater heights as there is a clear competition for spots.

Would you have preferred we didn't recruit Mann and Lafai and have Peter M and Aitken as our centres with no one to push them?

I would have preferred neither of them were signed and an extra 100-150k were offered to Hiku or Roberts or to a player from somewhere else like RU or the UK.

Though I believe Roberts had already agreed to terms with Brisbane when he announced he was leaving GC. They were just playing salary cap games.

kit66

Bench
If the Duges plays fullback then Aitken should definitely 100% retain his centre spot. I'd be extremely disappointed if it were handed to Mann or anyone else ahead of Aitken.

giboz71

First Grade
If the Duges plays fullback then Aitken should definitely 100% retain his centre spot. I'd be extremely disappointed if it were handed to Mann or anyone else ahead of Aitken.

Agreed.

Mann as a centre is not an upgrade from Aitken. But in reality Mann has been recruited as a backline utility to cover FB, centre and in the halves.

I hope he does work out at FB as Dugan at right centre will be devastating along with Benji and Nighty on the same side.

BennyV

Referee

Indeed. Lafai is hands down the first choice left centre. Probably the only centre guaranteed his spot. RIght centre will be Dugan or Aitken.

Ljackson7

Juniors
  1. Mata'utia
  2. Nightingale
  3. Lafai
  4. Dugan
  5. Fai fai loa
  6. Widdop (C)
  7. Benji
  8. Ahmau
  9. Rein
  10. Packer
  11. Debelin
  12. Thompson
  13. Cooper
  14. Masoe
  15. Ikahihifo
  16. Creagh
  17. Havili
  18. Matthews

SBD82

Coach
  1. Mata'utia
  2. Nightingale
  3. Lafai
  4. Dugan
  5. Fai fai loa
  6. Widdop (C)
  7. Benji
  8. Ahmau
  9. Rein
  10. Packer
  11. Debelin
  12. Thompson
  13. Cooper
  14. Masoe
  15. Ikahihifo
  16. Creagh
  17. Havili
  18. Matthews

Are you saying that jdb will play on the right edge in place of frizzell? Seems unlikely.

BennyV

Referee
Are you saying that jdb will play on the right edge in place of frizzell? Seems unlikely.

Friz is ruled out of Rd 1 following his back surgery.

Either way, JDB is a middle player, not an edge player. Highly likely that Matthews will start in place of Friz.

possm

Coach
I wouldn't be surprised to see Havili as the utility player covering hooker and backrow in the same fashion as Dean Young use to.

Dragon66

Juniors
I'm more inclined to think that McCrone will get the backup hooker job. The fact that he would be invaluable in a backline reshuffle if an injury occurs there means that his experience in the halves mean no JDB debacle happens again.

Three big boppers on the bench will cover most other forward positions.

giboz71

First Grade
I'm more inclined to think that McCrone will get the backup hooker job. The fact that he would be invaluable in a backline reshuffle if an injury occurs there means that his experience in the halves mean no JDB debacle happens again.

Three big boppers on the bench will cover most other forward positions.

Might be an option.

Although it's highly likely that Mann will be somewhere in the 17 and he can cover the halves if either Benji or Widdop go down in the game.

Would be easy for him to slot in there and we have options at FB and centre.

kit66

Bench
OK, Round 1.

I'd like to see us come out in the first game of the year guns blazing like it's Origin. We always start our games so conservatively - I'd love to see us get out of that habit. I've picked a team based on that.

1. Mann
2. Mata-utia / YKG / Milne / KFFL / Quinlan - depending on trial form.
3. Lafai
4. Duges
5. Nightie
6. Widdop
7. Benji

8. Ah Mau
9. Rein
10. Masoe - Early momentum would be desirable, so why not - some big runs and some big hits.
11. Matthews - showed he can play 80 minutes and not let us down - not to mention the occasional big hit. Also should be used more, close to the line running at holes or smaller opponents, he's a big boy.
12. Thompson
13. JDB - maybe start JDB for his defence with Cooper in rotation for his off - loads which are better late in the half against tiring D.

14. Cooper
15. Packer
16. Creagh
17. Marketo -When Frizell comes back I'd keep Matthews in at 17 over Marketo, I think he offers a little more punch and can get away a good off - load.
I know we'll probably go with a spare Hooker on the bench as usual.
I'd rather, with the reduced interchange, that the positions that can traditionally play 80 minutes do play 80 minutes - that's 1 to 7, 9, 11 and 12. My pet hate with our team is that we always carry two Hookers. Rein doesn't, or shouldn't need a break, it's a waste. Better to save those interchanges for our big blokes and carry 4 on the bench - 3 prop / lock and a lock / 2nd row. If a back or half go down put Thompson or Marketo to centre and shuffle the remaining backs - Mann to the halves, Duges to fullback or whatever. We're covered and that's pretty much what would happen if we had Havili on the bench anyway.

Of the rest of our team, the trials should show who deserves a shot and who doesn't as I'm sure opportunities will present themselves soon enough.

Last edited:

hardbaby

Coach
I wouldn't start Marketo over Lui, McCarthy or Ikanahifo (pardon the spelling). Marketo is courageous and he was epic in the final but he shoukd only be cover unless he can jag minutes as an interchange hooker.

Twenty10

Juniors
I think obviously Peter M is the quality option, however I have a concern over his pace. I think we need speed out wide. Nightingale, Dugan and Lafai more strong ball runners... Not overly quick. I worry we will be slow slow slow.

Latest posts