What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 v Cowboys

True_Believer

Juniors
All credit to the Dragons who played some of the best football of the season against Brisbane however, one should be reminded that the Broncos were in chaos mainly due to the rift between Bennett and the Board. This did have a negative effect on the Broncos playing squad.

So you are willing to make excuses for an opposition team (downplaying our success in the process) but not willing to afford the same courtesy to the team you support in an equally disruptive period. Unbelievable.

possm

Coach
So you are willing to make excuses for an opposition team (downplaying our success in the process) but not willing to afford the same courtesy to the team you support in an equally disruptive period. Unbelievable.

I did not say that. We need to be realists. Anyone who would say that Broncos played their best football on the day is kidding themselves. It was our tern for things to go our way for this game. For goodness sakes we have lots of games when things went against us.

True_Believer

Juniors
I did not say that. We need to be realists. Anyone who would say that Broncos played their best football on the day is kidding themselves. It was our tern for things to go our way for this game. For goodness sakes we have lots of games when things went against us.

So how do you see us going into this first game? Perfect preparation without any disruption or events over a number of weeks that may be affecting the team?

possm

Coach
So how do you see us going into this first game? Perfect preparation without any disruption or events over a number of weeks that may be affecting the team?

We can't see what is happening behind the scenes however, I'd say that the noise around the De Belin case is not ideal and may be a negative for our squad..

In my opinion the squad has been drilled very hard to ensure maximum fitness and I believe this showed during the Charity Shield game.

I'm hoping and feel pretty sure that work on combinations and ball skills will now be at the fore and because of this, we will see a better performance from our players in round 1 and better again in round 2.

So whether this translates in to wins will also depend on selections, bench management and the game plan.

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade
Cowboys haven't exactly had a dream off-season either and have lost arguably a more influential player. I'd say it's a wash from that perspective

Old Timer

Coach
We have had an entire off season to buy players, have players get over injuries, get players fit, up-skill players, sort out our roster and select out top 17 and if one takes into account all the posts in all the various threads, is there any plausible excuse that can be offered if we don't get the 2 points against the Cowboys?

This Year?

Immortal
We usually don't go well up there so for mine escaping Townsville with no injuries and a small differential is close enough to a win.
The Cowboys have so much pressure on them to perform and emotion given the floods and JT13 is the face of the game..
We love to help the Cowboys since 2017 and I'm sure a win will mean a lot more for them than for us and I hope Saints do some fundraising or help contribute to the flood relief in some way.
All I expect from us is to work on ironing out our defensive right side issues and an alternative to Maryball.

possm

Coach
We usually don't go well up there so for mine escaping Townsville with no injuries and a small differential is close enough to a win.
The Cowboys have so much pressure on them to perform and emotion given the floods and JT13 is the face of the game..
We love to help the Cowboys since 2017 and I'm sure a win will mean a lot more for them than for us and I hope Saints do some fundraising or help contribute to the flood relief in some way.
All I expect from us is to work on ironing out our defensive right side issues and an alternative to Maryball.

I'll have a better idea when the final 17 is announced.

True_Believer

Juniors
We can't see what is happening behind the scenes however, I'd say that the noise around the De Belin case is not ideal and may be a negative for our squad..

In my opinion the quad has been drilled very hard to ensure maximum fitness and I believe this showed during the Charity Shield game.

I'm hoping and feel pretty sure that work on combinations and ball skills will now be at the fore and because of this, we will see a better performance from our players in round 1 and better again in round 2.

So whether this translates in to wins will also depend on selections, bench management and the game plan.

So what you are saying is if we don't win then it will be because of selections, bench management and game plans. Because even though we have had some major disruptions during the last couple of months, we've been able to work on our combinations and ball skills since the CS?

If Wayne, arguably the greatest coach in the game, can't get a team up for a finals appearance with disruption happening around them, what makes you think that Mary can work a miracle and do the complete opposite and have the team completely overcome the JDB situation?

True_Believer

Juniors
We have had an entire off season to buy players, have players get over injuries, get players fit, up-skill players, sort out our roster and select out top 17 and if one takes into account all the posts in all the various threads, is there any plausible excuse that can be offered if we don't get the 2 points against the Cowboys?

My point is OT that we seem to be able to make excuses for other teams not performing well but don't allow any excuses for our own team. If you apply possm's statement to your post, the Bronco's had a full season to do exactly the same with Wayne at the helm but they performed badly in the final because they had disruption around them. But apparently that's acceptable. The disruption caused by the JDB saga isn't though. It just seems hypocritical to me.

SBD82

Coach
Because the cowboys have had the exact same opportunities that you’ve outlined?

Bench
Souths went after Lomax in the first half, their bombs were sent down his way and he didn’t handle them, he needs to be back to the centers.
Widdop looked out of place at fullback, we need him at 5/8, our team looked like lost sheep in the first half, the thing that made us look ok in the first half was the massive penalty count against Souths.
Robson must be on the bench and I would play him last 20 minutes in the first half and first 20 minutes in the second half.
If things are not going well put Widdop back to 5/8 and Dufty at full back.

Old Timer

Coach
My point is OT that we seem to be able to make excuses for other teams not performing well but don't allow any excuses for our own team. If you apply possm's statement to your post, the Bronco's had a full season to do exactly the same with Wayne at the helm but they performed badly in the final because they had disruption around them. But apparently that's acceptable. The disruption caused by the JDB saga isn't though. It just seems hypocritical to me.
T_B
Everything we do in life is tempered with adversity and it is all about how we deal with it and Mary is after all a "great man manager".
Now the time has come to shit or get off the pot and IMO taking all into account there are no excuses that can be offered up save an injury in the game.
We either believe the stuff we post or we don't.
Plenty saying we have the best pack, the best this the best that, we will be top 4 bla bla bla and many of those that post that way hit back on people who are not inclined to agree with them (yes it is also vice versa).
The coach, the administration need to be held to account for the results and last season according to Mc Fookknuckle and many in here we were 1 win away from being = minor premiers (flawed argument IMO due to F/A). The coach is pushing hard for an extension and the BOD seem to be softening us up for the inevitability of that. Coach has yet again got the team that he wants.
The Cowboys finished well below us last year, no JT this year, have lost quality players and also have turmoil re players in trouble so why shouldn't we regard this game as 2 points in the bag?
After all Millward & Co have done a great job in securing our best options for the team and therefore Latimore, Ravalawa, Pereira, Pearson, Norman, K Sims are the players that will make the difference in us finishing higher on the ladder than last year.
Accountability for the players, coaches, recruitment, administration and yes even the posters in this place and let there be no lame excuses and we will go a long way to being a better club.

possm

Coach
So what you are saying is if we don't win then it will be because of selections, bench management and game plans. Because even though we have had some major disruptions during the last couple of months, we've been able to work on our combinations and ball skills since the CS?

If Wayne, arguably the greatest coach in the game, can't get a team up for a finals appearance with disruption happening around them, what makes you think that Mary can work a miracle and do the complete opposite and have the team completely overcome the JDB situation?

To answer your question, I'd need to know the diruptions you are speaking about.

I am expecting a motivated Saints side will take the field against the Cowboys.

We will win this one in a close tussle.

Aitken will be man of the match and Robson will score a try from dummy half.

..... then I woke up

SBD82

Coach
Well if what you ask is true then they must have a better team & coach than us and also recruited better than us.
Maybe.

Or a better coach.

Or a better team.

Or better recruitment.

Or we had an off day.

Or the cowboys get some lucky bounces.

Or we have a new spine that hasn’t clicked yet.

Or we lost our best defensive middle, a state of origin quality lock, two weeks before the start of the season.

Or sometimes weird shit just happens in rugby league. And sometimes the worst team beats the best team. It’s one of the best things about our game.

Honestly OT, I know you want to take whatever chance you can to criticise, but it is deadset tiring after a while.