What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 v Cowboys

Dea

Juniors
I’d like to see Lomax play centre over Aitken. These last few years Aitken has shown an unwillingness to pass and defensive faults. He does a few strong runs but we need more from a centre then he has been able to deliver these last few seasons. What Lomax did when he came into the team under finals pressure was impressive. Coming into the team via the wing works for some players but from what I’ve seen I don’t think this is the best path for Lomax. Stop messing with his head in trying to turn him into a wingman and put him centre(stage).

possm

Coach
Yes, early season trail form is almost impossible to gauge, however, unlike previous seasons Saints haven’t had: a) a star forward facing serious criminal charges and b) a captain who wants to leave.

I fear Wayne Bennett showed a blueprint targeting the Dragons’ fringes. Most teams will get “us” on the wings in 2019.

Surely our brittle right edge defence and our compress defensive structure is common knowledge to all NRL clubs. We just don't have a chance if our right edge is Host, Hunt and Aitken.

possm

Coach
On the back of.....?

Last year every second game from about the 5th game in was a litmus test apparently.

This year, the first game is a litmus test. It's the first game FFS.

Millward is said to have given Mary the players he wants however, the problems is for round 1, Mary is mostly going to stick with a backline stacked with his old favourites who have not delivered in the past i.e.:
  1. Widdop - because he is the captain and an experienced player
  2. Pereira - because he tries hard
  3. Aitken - because he is a favourite player
  4. Lafai - because he is a favourite player
  5. Lomax - because it doesn't matter as Aitken won't pass the ball
  6. Norman - because Widdop is leaving and won't stick to his game plan.
  7. Hunt - because he is the multi-million dollar half back

ALSGI

Bench
I think after today’s proceedings the judgement next week will allow JDB to play.

That would be a big boost to the squad and the boys will rally against a big Cowboys pack.

I’m assuming they’ll go up north mid week to acclimatize? Court Judgement reserved until Thursday, JDB there by Thursday night?

Same starting pack as last years round 1 against Brisbane. For mine I’d go for Leillua, Lawrie, Kerr on the bench. Host, Timm next cabs off the rank along with Mr reliable Lats.

Korbin will watch and get pumped for the Brisbane game in Round 3. I would hope he travels with the squad.

The backs, halves, No14 spot appears predictable for many rounds to come with only Robson, Pierrera, Field and Pearson a chance to get in the mix with injuries.

I still reckon Dragons by 20.

Last edited:

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I personally think this DeBelin stuff will have a very bad effect on the team .I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am .Cowboys, sorry guys I really hope I'm wrong. ......28 to 10 plus the Mary effect. And they have a coach.. ..

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I personally think this DeBelin stuff will have a very bad effect on the team .I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am .Cowboys, sorry guys I really hope I'm wrong. ......28 to 10 plus the Mary effect. And they have a coach.. ..

They also have wingers. At Saints, the “coach” tries to manufacture one (Lomax) whereas the other (Peirera) has heart but won’t make a big impact in too many games.

George Dragon

Juniors
What it should be

Widdop/Ravalawa/Lomax/Lafai/Pereira
Norman/Hunt
Vaughan/Mcinnes/Graham
Host/Sims
Frizell

Lawrie/Latimore/Leilua/Robson ... (would even accept Timm/Kerr over Latimore)

What it will be

Widdop/Ravalawa/Aitken/Lafai/Pereira
Norman/Hunt
Vaughan/Mcinnes/Graham
Host/Sims
Frizell

Lawrie/Latimore/Leilua/Dufty

Two very capable players in Lomax/Dufty being dicked around by Mary at the expense of two exploitable targets in Aitken/Dufty with massive holes in their games.
Nailed it. A day watching training and opposed sessions and seeing certain young guns in the green singlets just about confirms it.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Nailed it. A day watching training and opposed sessions and seeing certain young guns in the green singlets just about confirms it.
Seems DUFTY is very capable .on one hand. And has lots of holes please make up your mind not you George , Rufus. Rex

Last edited:

SnowDragon

Juniors
Millward is a mastermind.
Everyone that he releases turns to rubbish.

Really interesting. I thought Nene was a huge asset to us and a classy winger. This seems to suggest that the stories were correct and your Spot on Crush, looks like a good decision. Improve the team culture all the time and results will follow...

Ow if only he has that gun winger waiting in the wings like so many suggest!

getsmarty

Immortal
pereiraj-debut-180721702.jpg

GAME DAY

Game day information: Round 1 v Cowboys
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 7 Mar 2019, 11:45 AM

St George Illawarra Dragons v North Queensland Cowboys
Saturday, March 16
1300SMILES Stadium, Townsville

Broadcast by Fox League

4pm: Gates open
4:10pm: ISC 20s Western Mustangs v Northern Pride
6:35pm: NRL kick-off – Dragons v Cowboys

TICKETING

Pre-purchase your tickets from Ticketek and save!

www.ticketek.com.au or 132 849

RED V MEMBERSHIP

Member ticket discounts

All Red V members are able to access a 10 per cent discount on tickets in the away supporters' bay. Members can check their emails or member card for further details.

Townsville member event

Red V members are exclusively invited to welcome the team to Townsville on Friday, March 15.

Time: 5:15pm - 6pm
Venue: Mercure Townsville

For more information and to RSVP, visit the membership events page.

MERCHANDISE

Dragons merchandise will not be attending this event.

TRANSPORT

Public transport is the best way to get to 1300SMILES Stadium.

Visit the Sunbus website for public transport information.

Parking

Car parking for each season is limited at the venue and can be purchased through the North Queensland Cowboys. Please phone 1300 GO COWBOYS (1300 462 692) and select option seven for their team.

Parking control will be in place around 1300SMILES Stadium from 2pm to 10pm on major stadium event days to improve pedestrian safety and public transport flow throughout the stadium precinct. The parking control plan means no stopping in streets surrounding the stadium.

Taxis

The taxi rank is located at the northern entrance of 1300SMILES Stadium. View the 1300SMIILES Stadium Map for more information.

Accessibility transport

For detailed information for patrons with a disability, including transport, ticketing, seating, facilities and parking, please visit the accessibility page.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/07/game-day-information-round-1-v-cowboys/

possm

Coach
Seems DUFTY is very capable .on one hand. And has lots of holes please make up your mind not you George , Rufus. Rex
On last season's form, nobody doubts Dufty's talent in attack in broken play. It is other parts of his game that came into question. Now if he has built up his frame, gained confidence in defence and taking the high ball and improved his ability to go to ground when close to his try-line or touch-line, then he should be in the mix to play fullback.