What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 v Cowboys

Old Timer

Coach
Maybe.

Or a better coach.

Or a better team.

Or better recruitment.

Or we had an off day.

Or the cowboys get some lucky bounces.

Or we have a new spine that hasn’t clicked yet.

Or we lost our best defensive middle, a state of origin quality lock, two weeks before the start of the season.

Or sometimes weird shit just happens in rugby league. And sometimes the worst team beats the best team. It’s one of the best things about our game.

Honestly OT, I know you want to take whatever chance you can to criticise, but it is deadset tiring after a while.
I'm doing anything but criticising.
I am saying that we should win the f**king game and there should not be any excuses other than an injury during the game.
Unlike others, I am not fence sitting and looking for a quick fire response as to the reasons why we might lose or offering lame duck excuses if we do lose.
Fess up to what the reality is, Mc Gregor says we were 1 win away from top spot, people say the Broncos SF game was the real deal and people say we have recruited well and are top 4.
The Cowboys on the other hand have lost plenty, recruited little, have players in trouble and finished well below us on the table last year.
This is a as important a 2 point game to us as are the ones at the end of the season where we have faltered in previous years.
No excuses 2 points and a good win that shows us the fans we are ready to go.

True_Believer

Juniors
one should be reminded that the Broncos were in chaos mainly due to the rift between Bennett and the Board. This did have a negative effect on the Broncos playing squad.

We can't see what is happening behind the scenes however, I'd say that the noise around the De Belin case is not ideal and may be a negative for our squad..

have the team completely overcome the JDB situation?

Possm. Your first post stated it DID have a negative effect on the Broncos.

Second quote states that we can't see what is happening behind the scenes around JDB but that it MAY be negative.

My point is that the JDB situation provides at least the same amount of disruption to the team in terms of media PLUS the removal of a key player from the team. If we lose the game, I doubt whether you and others would afford the same concession for the team that you afforded the broncos.

Irrespective of whether you believe they were impacted by the coach/board issue, they are a professional sports team with one of the best coaches in the league. Not only did we beat them soundly, we beat them while losing players through injury throughout the game at a packed house at their home ground. There is nothing that can take away from that performance.

Old Timer

Coach
Possm. Your first post stated it DID have a negative effect on the Broncos.

Second quote states that we can't see what is happening behind the scenes around JDB but that it MAY be negative.

My point is that the JDB situation provides at least the same amount of disruption to the team in terms of media PLUS the removal of a key player from the team. If we lose the game, I doubt whether you and others would afford the same concession for the team that you afforded the broncos.

Irrespective of whether you believe they were impacted by the coach/board issue, they are a professional sports team with one of the best coaches in the league. Not only did we beat them soundly, we beat them while losing players through injury throughout the game at a packed house at their home ground. There is nothing that can take away from that performance.
You are correct and interestingly the coach of the Broncos is no longer there despite having a valid contract.
Nothing like accountability and honesty.

I want Mary sacked like the rest of you, but Jesus can we actually discuss the match. I know expectations of poor coaching is technically part of the match but it would be much more interesting to discuss potential combinations and match ups we are excited to see rather than rehashing the same exact content in another thread.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing if Nene's deficiencies are targeted, as we are all well aware of those defensive lapses he's capable of.

I'm also looking forward to the forward battle. Even without JDB we have an exciting forward pack, and Cowboys are up the top as well, so seeing that match up will be exciting.
So talking about the match.
1. In spite of the general belief that we have the best forward pack in the competition, without LAM and JDB we are not as strong as last year.
Cowboys on the other hand have recruited well and (in my opinion) have the strongest forward pack in the competition in 2019. Back row of Hess, Cooper and Taumalolo match our back three who are our strongest asset.
Their front row is a powerhouse with McLean and McGuire pairing for the first time and a fit Glanville creating havoc from dummy half. Just can't see our pack dominating this lot and that is the cornerstone of McGregor's coaching philosophy.
2. Bench - Cowboys will stack their bench with forwards in anticipation of a forward battle. Green's use of the bench will be much more thoughtful and impactful than the way we use our bench and that will hurt us.
3. Match winners - Morgan is a proven match winner and a very dangerous player when on song. Did very well year before last without Thurston, to guide the Cowboys all the way to the GF.
Glanville and Taumalolo are also players who can create a lot of chances.
4. Backline - Feldt and McDonald are better wingers than whatever options we will field in round one. Green will be targeting our defence out wide and if we haven't improved since the trials, they will have a field day.
I just think their backline is much stronger defensively and their combinations are further down the track than ours.
5. Coaches - Green vs McGregor. There is no comparison.
If McGregor's power game doesn't work, there is no "plan B"
Green is a premiership winning coach and what he did in 2017 with an injury ravaged side was amazing.
McGregor has plenty of talent at his disposal but unless the trial form is reversed, we are in for a tough time up north.
If the Cowboys dominate possession and field position it will be difficult for us to respond.

So being focused on the 1st game of the season. That's how I see it.
Supreme test for our new look pack of forwards and spine against one of the comp's best teams in 2019.
Real Litmus test first game of the season.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Round 1 predicted line-ups
Author
Chris Kennedy NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 6 Mar 2019, 10:29 AM

With the pre-season trials in the rearview mirror, here are the predicted 16 line-ups for the opening round of the Telstra Premiership season.

The teams will be announced on NRL.com at 4pm on Tuesday but there are plenty of talking points heading into the first squads being posted.

Dragons
Coach Paul McGregor has outlined a plan to inject Matt Dufty from the bench at fullback despite Gareth Widdop shifting to the back. Jack De Belin is stood down leaving Tyson Frizell to fill in at lock – at least until Korbin Sims returns from suspension – with Jacob Host edging Luciano Leilua for the starting role in the Charity Shield. Centre Zac Lomax will likely start on the wing but with flanker Mikaele Ravalawa trialling well Euan Aitken could find himself under pressure to retain a spot.

1. Gareth Widdop
  2. Jordan Pereira
  3. Euan Aitken
  4. Tim Lafai
  5. Zac Lomax
  6. Corey Norman
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. James Graham
  9. Cameron McInnes
  10. Paul Vaughan
  11. Jacob Host
  12. Tariq Sims
  13. Tyson Frizell
Interchange:

1. Matt Dufty
  2. Blake Lawrie
  3. Luciano Leilua
  4. Josh Kerr

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/06/nrl-round-1-predicted-line-ups/#dragons

Dragsters

First Grade
NRL Round 1 predicted line-ups
Author
Chris Kennedy NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 6 Mar 2019, 10:29 AM

With the pre-season trials in the rearview mirror, here are the predicted 16 line-ups for the opening round of the Telstra Premiership season.

The teams will be announced on NRL.com at 4pm on Tuesday but there are plenty of talking points heading into the first squads being posted.

Dragons
Coach Paul McGregor has outlined a plan to inject Matt Dufty from the bench at fullback despite Gareth Widdop shifting to the back. Jack De Belin is stood down leaving Tyson Frizell to fill in at lock – at least until Korbin Sims returns from suspension – with Jacob Host edging Luciano Leilua for the starting role in the Charity Shield. Centre Zac Lomax will likely start on the wing but with flanker Mikaele Ravalawa trialling well Euan Aitken could find himself under pressure to retain a spot.

1. Gareth Widdop
  2. Jordan Pereira
  3. Euan Aitken
  4. Tim Lafai
  5. Zac Lomax
  6. Corey Norman
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. James Graham
  9. Cameron McInnes
  10. Paul Vaughan
  11. Jacob Host
  12. Tariq Sims
  13. Tyson Frizell
Interchange:

1. Matt Dufty
  2. Blake Lawrie
  3. Luciano Leilua
  4. Josh Kerr
https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/06/nrl-round-1-predicted-line-ups/#dragons

I would like to see...

1. Widdop

2. Pereira

3. Lomax

4. Lafai

5. Ravalawa

6. Norman

7. Hunt

8. Graham

9. Mcinnes

10. Vaughan

11. Host

12. Sims

13. Friz

14. Dufty

15. Luch

16. Lawrie

17. Kerr

Not because I think this is necessarily our strongest side, I just think for this game it would be worth a look...

possm

Coach
I would like to see...

1. Widdop

2. Pereira

3. Lomax

4. Lafai

5. Ravalawa

6. Norman

7. Hunt

8. Graham

9. Mcinnes

10. Vaughan

11. Host

12. Sims

13. Friz

14. Dufty

15. Luch

16. Lawrie

17. Kerr

Not because I think this is necessarily our strongest side, I just think for this game it would be worth a look...

Having Host, Hunt and Aitken on the right edge is a recipe for disaster on the right edge. We need to stiffen up the right edge with T Sims, Hunt and Lomax. The left edge of Leilua, Norman and Lafai would hold there own. My bench would be Kerr, Timm, Robson and Dufty/Field/Host.

Old Timer

Coach
Having Host, Hunt and Aitken on the right edge is a recipe for disaster on the right edge. We need to stiffen up the right edge with T Sims, Hunt and Lomax. The left edge of Leilua, Norman and Lafai would hold there own. My bench would be Kerr, Timm, Robson and Dufty/Field/Host.
Hunt and Aitken both terrible in defence, so no matter who you put there with them, they will be on a hiding to nothing.
Host, far better in defence than Leilua so must be kept in the side.
Not so sure about Norman in defence yet, let's just wait a little while and see as Widdop did a lot of extra work on that side and that will become more evident if he doesn't play in the halves.

possm

Coach
Hunt and Aitken both terrible in defence, so no matter who you put there with them, they will be on a hiding to nothing.
Host, far better in defence than Leilua so must be kept in the side.
Not so sure about Norman in defence yet, let's just wait a little while and see as Widdop did a lot of extra work on that side and that will become more evident if he doesn't play in the halves.
My suggestion is T Sims, Hunt and Lomax on the right edge; a much stiffer combination in defence. And for those, including Mary, advocating Hunt in the hooking position for the last twenty minutes of a game, it would be a disaster. Hunt can't defend well enough.

nontime111

Juniors
I hope its Dufty on the bench though, Cowboys will stack with big forwards and they WILL get tired in the first game, if hes used properly he could cut right through them for us

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Not sure about this one. In past years McGregor has managed to get the boys firing in round 1, but this year the deBelin thing may be messing with their heads. Widdop seemed disinterested in the charity shield, will that carry over to game 1? Add the miserable weather in Townsville which will presumably favour the Cowboys and this could go either way.

I'm tipping Norman to have a blinder and get the team home.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I feel like we really don't have to squeeze Corey Norman into the team if it is not suitable. Maybe he has to wait a year to get 5/8 spot.

I thought Dufty was getting better last year in his first full year. So pushing him back to the bench doesn't help us at all. When he has come on we have looked lost as the set up changes so much.

Very interested to see how we open up the season. Trial form is very hard to gauge.

Yes, early season trail form is almost impossible to gauge, however, unlike previous seasons Saints haven’t had: a) a star forward facing serious criminal charges and b) a captain who wants to leave.

I fear Wayne Bennett showed a blueprint targeting the Dragons’ fringes. Most teams will get “us” on the wings in 2019.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
McGregor will not stray away from "his" team. Simply because it is "his" team,
I expect from him, come the first team list Tuesday will be:

1. Widdop
2. Lomax
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Periera
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Host
12. T. SIms
13. Frizell
14. Lawrie
15. Latimore
16. Leilua
17. Dufty
18. Robson
19. Ravalawa
20. Kerr
21. Field

The only exception would be Leilua to start and Host on the bench, but that's about it. Anyone expecting anything else is, well, dreaming. I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but expecting the worse is better than disappointment.

Nailed it.

SEAT 1A

Bench
  1. Gareth Widdop
  2. Jordan Pereira
  3. Zac Lomax
  4. Tim Lafai
  5. Mikaela Ravalawa
  6. Corey Norman
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. James Graham
  9. Cameron McInnes
  10. Paul Vaughan
  11. Jacob Host
  12. Tariq Sims
  13. Tyson Frizell
Interchange:

1. Matt Dufty
  2. Blake Lawrie
  3. Luciano Leilua
  4. Josh Kerr

I'm a big Euan fan however, Lomax can't start as winger as the team was on the back foot from the start of the Shield and needs to be there somewhere.

Ravalawa can return the ball and didn't do anything wrong in the trials and Kerr playing at his best at the right time.

If we can fix the start of both half's as in the Shield should get the points.

RufusRex

Post Whore
What it should be

Widdop/Ravalawa/Lomax/Lafai/Pereira
Norman/Hunt
Vaughan/Mcinnes/Graham
Host/Sims
Frizell

Lawrie/Latimore/Leilua/Robson ... (would even accept Timm/Kerr over Latimore)

What it will be

Widdop/Ravalawa/Aitken/Lafai/Pereira
Norman/Hunt
Vaughan/Mcinnes/Graham
Host/Sims
Frizell

Lawrie/Latimore/Leilua/Dufty

Two very capable players in Lomax/Robson being dicked around by Mary at the expense of two exploitable targets in Aitken/Dufty with massive holes in their games.

Last edited:

Latest posts