What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 v Cowboys

getsmarty

Immortal
North Queensland Cowboys beat St George Illawarra Dragons in NRL opener
Local Sport
r580_0_2226_2249_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Try and stop me: Jason Taumalolo. Picture: AAP Image/Michael Chambers

For all the discussion about St George Illawarra's revamped attack, it was the human wrecking ball Jason Taumalolo which brought them undone.

It's doubtful, in a parallel universe, that the defensive expertise of Jack de Belin - stood down under the new NRL policy while on rape charges - would have saved the day.

Taumalolo ran for a record tally of 300-odd metres, set-up Te Maire Martin for the game-winning try, made another bust for Javid Bowen's first-half four-pointer and generally proved almost unstoppable for the Dragons.

It ended 24-12.

Martin's radar was off with the goalkicking boot, meaning it was still 12-6 with 14 minutes remaining - three tries to one - when Taumalolo made certain of victory for the Cowboys.

The torrid summer for St George Illawarra continues.

As the rain fell, on a night when they raised money for North Queensland flood victims, Bowen then offered the Dragons late hope with an errant pass over the sideline.

The Dragons had a scrum.

The new bench utility Matt Dufty tried to penetrate a tiring line.

Corey Norman passed to Tariq Sims with the line open with seven minutes left, but it was spilled, despite the NSW State of Origin forward's protest about the ball coming off his knee.

Like the result, it was all in vain.

Michael Morgan, taking the reins from the retired Johnathan Thurston who was watching from the sidelines, allowed Cowboys centre Justin O'Neill to score in the final exchanges.

Morgan, who had scored beforehand, alongside Taumalolo, had made his mark.

Finally, Jordan Pereira dived over with seconds left to lessen the margin.

How do you measure the success or otherwise of Paul McGregor's plans, moving captain Gareth Widdop to fullback and allowing Corey Norman to partner Ben Hunt in the halves?

It was hardly convincing, though it had its moments.

Widdop was committed, tackling Taumalolo when he broke clear, then almost stopping Bowen from scoring in the next play, the video referee confirming the Cowboys winger had just barely grounded the ball as the Widdop cover pushed him out.

Norman kicked the ball out on the full, the ball also went dead in a stuttering ebb and flow to their first half, but yet the Dragons still otherwise looked reasonably sharp with ball in hand.

The jury remains out.

Euan Aitken had opened the scoring for the Dragons when Norman cleaned up the Cowboys' attacking mess and streaked away, only to be caught inside the 40 metres.

Sweeping to the right, Aitken is, as always a sight to behold when he is allowed to run hard and straight.

And yet, for all the encouragement, it was a former Dragons player, Nene Macdonald, who crashed over out wide just before the break to make it 8-6.

Macdonald celebrated with gusto after scoring against his old teammates in his first game for his new club, suggesting it meant a bit.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...wrecking-ball-smashes-through-dragons/?cs=302

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
So so true. His kicking game was off and he looked slow at times. To move the Dally M 5/8 of the year out of his position you would expect that the man who the coach moved him for would really show something. Nope.
Gaz handled fullback pretty well, even allowing for his two fumbles. His defence and positional play were good but as a team with three play makers we looked directionless and a little tentative. Early days so I don’t want to act like the sky is falling but our forwards lacked punch and enthusiasm.
Not looking for excuses but the whole JDB thing might have really rocked our guys.

Also, the captain wanting to leave thing.

Really?????? Last year dogs at Kogarah Rd 24 I think and vs Parrs come to mind. Ball control let them down tonight....the effort was there.
Spot on - the Dogs game coincided with Lance Thompson's memorial and Nightingale's farewell at Kogarah.
So new season, same coach.
Ball control wasn't our only problem yesterday.
You can rationalize just about anything if you try hard enough.

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Widdop drops balls all night james graham running on old legs.X factor sitting on bench dufty only plays 10 minutes down 18 points and a coach with no idea has a top 4 team .

At what stage does leadership outweigh the problem of running old legs?

Especially when:

1. there’s no guarantee an individual won’t go back to his preceding club post retirement (quite possibly at the end of this year in a non playing capacity.

3. the player who left is still in the prime of his career.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Norman to 7 Widdop 6 Dufty fullback
Hunt to Hooker

McInnes loses his edge after half time needs a rest
Before we were even interested in Norman, I suggested the idea of buying Norman and having as you just suggested
1 Dufty
6 Widdop
7 Norman
9 Hunt.

I said that Hunt would provide us with creativity and would be a dangerous runner from dummy half. He also does have a bit of experience at club level and played for Qld there off the bench. It still could be goer. With that spine, I think Robson on the bench would be must.

I would still be playing Widdop at left centre and Lomax right centre. Norman would be halfback, Hunt 5/8 and Dufty fullback.

18to87

First Grade
Of the other games I’ve watched, Storm, Broncos, Rabbits, Chooks, Sharks, Knights and Cows looked well drilled. Why did we look like a rabble?
Did we actually work on anything this pre season?
Exactly. This is the problem. You can forgive a side that has direction and plays confidently, but the last pass just doesn't stick etc. Time after time, Mary-led sides just look confused and rudderless.

18to87

First Grade
A lot of you old guys must suffer from premature ejaculation. It has been one game for god sake?? Look at the roosters last year they couldn’t score a point against the tigers the first round and they ended up winning the comp... chill out sure it was shit but it will take time
It's the same problems year after year with Mary. The side looked decent in the finals last year, so what does Mary do? Changes it by sending Lomax and Dufty to the bench and one of the best 5/8th's to FB.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Sure it's only round 1 & early days whilst combinations form and some players are forced into new positions and roles. However, the same glaring concerns remain:-

McAnchors diabolical use of the bench in construction & rotation. It's become a 5 year misery as the peanut coach simply thinks it's a version of "two & a half men"
Along with the poor coaching & lack of tactical game plans, the bench is our Achilles heel.

FlameThrower

Bench
Disappointed but not unexpected result to be honest. 3 playmakers looks good on paper but not sure it works on the field. Refs gave Cowboys more possession- and we got sloppy & fatigued. Mary should have seen that and had Dufty on much earlier - so that’s his fault once again. It’s R-1, not burning my jersey just yet but if this can’t be sorted out in next few weeks then I think we could be in trouble mid season once SOO rolls in.

Old Timer

Coach
Some interesting turn of phrase used by coach in the press conference. He kept talking about "desperation" with statements circa below.

"We showed good desperation in the 1st half but it cost us late in the game because we had some tired players.
If we keep showing that amount of desperation we will go ok".

I would have thought high skill levels and the ability to complete the essential tasks of catch, run, kick, tackle, combine, attack and apply pressure would negate the need for so much desperation.
If being desperate is his idea for running the team and for it being successful then it means we aren't controlling the flow of the game and are just being reactive.

possm

Coach
Some interesting turn of phrase used by coach in the press conference. He kept talking about "desperation" with statements circa below.

"We showed good desperation in the 1st half but it cost us late in the game because we had some tired players.
If we keep showing that amount of desperation we will go ok".

I would have thought high skill levels and the ability to complete the essential tasks of catch, run, kick, tackle, combine, attack and apply pressure would negate the need for so much desperation.
If being desperate is his idea for running the team and for it being successful then it means we aren't controlling the flow of the game and are just being reactive.
I agree completely. Mary also said that he recognised fatigue was a reason for the poor performance late in the game but failed to explain why he did not act earlier and bring on fresh players.

McInnes does not perform well at dummy half when under fatigue which is another reason why Robson should be at 14 on the bench.

BLM01

First Grade
I apologise for regurgitating someone else's posts if I have but too many to read but my take on the game

POSITIVES
1. Defense for how much we did in the main was good to shut down attacking plays but it was wet which inhibits anyones attack including ours.
2. The wet does not allow us to judge the spine properly yet..that includes the halves and Widdop's game at fullback except for a couple of handling errors was OK at fullback especially in defense.
3. Aitken did not let us down
4. Widdops goal kicking.
5. Blake lawrie
6. Ravalawa will get better and will forgive him for nerves and some wrong decisions in his 1st game
7. Stacks of room for improvement

NEGATIVES (Coaching)
1. Forwards still are instructed? to not look for 2nd phase?. Vaughan wants too but has no runners, as soon as he did with 6 minutes to go to possibly get us within 6 he passed to Sims who dropped it who would of scored. Ravalawa broke the line on several occasions, where is his support. We need to encourage support and 2nd phase.
2. It was wet. Our one out bash and barge game plan became defunct late in the 1st half. Dufty and LUC needed to come on in both halves to try and break the game open. Mary stuck to the same plan until it was 18-6...10? to go. Too late
3. We are one of the worst teams for having good field position and I am not blaming our kicking game. No wonder we get rudderless when we get there in attack in the 2nd half..we were too tired.
Our defense in the ruck, slowing em down is too slow and not effective. Bash and barge in the wet..easy for opposition
4. Too many errors, turn over of possession, jumping for bombs in the wet in traffic is always going to go pear shaped.
5. Our bombs away did not put the opposition under enough pressure in catching..like they did to us.
6. McInnes did not run enough in the 2nd half and needed a break in the 1st half as did of lot of defense early on.

I will judge the spine again after a dry track.

blacksafake

First Grade
We are rudderless because we have three rudders simple as that. Confusion.
t
We are rudderless because we have three rudders simple as that. Confusion.
Too many chiefs not enough Indians.
Too many cooks spoil the broth.
Widdop, Hunt & Norman must all be confused as they’ve all been signed to “run” the team. The sooner L plate works out who he wants to run the team the better it’ll be.But I’m not holding my breath waiting for him to work it out.
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Hunt & Widdop worked quite well last season. We needed & still do, big fast outside backs but no we throw all our eggs into the basket by signing another playmaker & then try to become a master coach by stuffing around with the spine so as to bamboozle the opposition.
FMD

Last edited:

True_Believer

Juniors
Cowboys won with a lot of assistance the dragons who couldn't maintain their composure after all the mistakes and penalties and wore themselves out in the 1st half.
Also got a lot of sympathy from the ref who missed several NQ forward passes, imagined a few knock ons from the dragons and didn't keep the NQ defensive line back 10 all night.
Cowboys will get smashed next week.

Dragons looked good in the first half until the mistakes and penalties started.
From the first half:
* Ravalawa showed a lot of strength to bust tackles and made good yards.
* Norman looked good in the first half and I think he will get better.
* Impressed with Host's effort and speed / energy.
* Dragons were the better team...made more yards in attack and kept NQ to half way or further back most sets of 6.

I'll give the Dragons the BOD this week due to the conditions and the lack of possession in the 1st half.
If they can control possession better and limit South's opportunities in good field position, they are in with a good shot.
We didn't give Bennett too much worthwhile material to study for next weeks game.

This is the game I saw. We were on top and in control for at least 30 minutes of the first half of the game but errors in our own half drained our energy quickly - it doesn’t take long in the heat (and it was an absolute stinker last night - the rain does nothing to cool it down).

I don’t think our forwards were dominated at all - they just couldn’t maintain the intensity because of the error rate and subsequent defense.

Kicking and 5th tackle options were poor.

Happy to stick with the spine as it is but they need to show more than they did last night if we are going to challenge this year.

Latest posts