What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 v Cowboys

Wittenberg

Juniors
Ya think?

We’ve got a “coach” who has put players into non familiar positions in order to accommodate an individual that is erratic at best.

So so true. His kicking game was off and he looked slow at times. To move the Dally M 5/8 of the year out of his position you would expect that the man who the coach moved him for would really show something. Nope.
Gaz handled fullback pretty well, even allowing for his two fumbles. His defence and positional play were good but as a team with three play makers we looked directionless and a little tentative. Early days so I don’t want to act like the sky is falling but our forwards lacked punch and enthusiasm.
Not looking for excuses but the whole JDB thing might have really rocked our guys.

jeffdragon

Bench
Cowboys won with a lot of assistance the dragons who couldn't maintain their composure after all the mistakes and penalties and wore themselves out in the 1st half.
Also got a lot of sympathy from the ref who missed several NQ forward passes, imagined a few knock ons from the dragons and didn't keep the NQ defensive line back 10 all night.
Cowboys will get smashed next week.

Dragons looked good in the first half until the mistakes and penalties started.
From the first half:
* Ravalawa showed a lot of strength to bust tackles and made good yards.
* Norman looked good in the first half and I think he will get better.
* Impressed with Host's effort and speed / energy.
* Dragons were the better team...made more yards in attack and kept NQ to half way or further back most sets of 6.

I'll give the Dragons the BOD this week due to the conditions and the lack of possession in the 1st half.
If they can control possession better and limit South's opportunities in good field position, they are in with a good shot.
We didn't give Bennett too much worthwhile material to study for next weeks game.

Their kicking game pegged us down .
We let them run.
Wait till Burgess runs through us and cook from dummy half with quick play the balls. Would have liked to win this.
Cause we are up against it on Thursday.

rednwhites

Juniors
Cowboys won with a lot of assistance the dragons who couldn't maintain their composure after all the mistakes and penalties and wore themselves out in the 1st half.
Also got a lot of sympathy from the ref who missed several NQ forward passes, imagined a few knock ons from the dragons and didn't keep the NQ defensive line back 10 all night.

From the first half:
* Dragons were the better team...made more yards in attack and kept NQ to half way or further back most sets of 6.

I'll give the Dragons the BOD this week due to the conditions and the lack of possession in the 1st half.
If they can control possession better and limit South's opportunities in good field position, they are in with a good shot.
We didn't give Bennett too much worthwhile material to study for next weeks game.

I agree with much of this. The first half dropped ball and overpowered kicks were hard to take one after another but I thought the real worry was after halftime we had many opportunities to keep applying pressure with patience and repeat sets but instead panicked and tried to crash over the line along with some woefully unorganised attack which took me right back to 2016. Who was the coach in 2016? We needed a real leader to take the reins and game manage at that point but too many indians and no idea.

Belta

Juniors
That game was like our previous seasons. At the star we Looked unbeatable. Then as predictable excuses in ne of Mary’s press conferences, we fall in a pile of s#@t.

SGMax

Juniors
I agree with much of this. The first half dropped ball and overpowered kicks were hard to take one after another but I thought the real worry was after halftime we had many opportunities to keep applying pressure with patience and repeat sets but instead panicked and tried to crash over the line along with some woefully unorganised attack which took me right back to 2016. Who was the coach in 2016? We needed a real leader to take the reins and game manage at that point but too many indians and no idea.

Understood and agree it will be much harder next week.
The BOD is that in the 2nd half they were'nt allowed to get back their composure by exhaustion, the ref's incompetence, and the conditions.
Hopefully the way they defended and powered up the field in the 1st half will be on again next week.

Dragons were a whisker away from going in to HT in the lead with only 41% possession.
There is a real danger that we could be behind the 8 ball with this loss and a couple of close games in the coming month that will erode team morale and confidence.

J.moz

Juniors
Widdop drops balls all night james graham running on old legs.X factor sitting on bench dufty only plays 10 minutes down 18 points and a coach with no idea has a top 4 team .

From the first half:

Boy oh boy...you must have been watching a different game...

Widdop drops balls all night james graham running on old legs.X factor sitting on bench dufty only plays 10 minutes down 18 points and a coach with no idea has a top 4 team .
He had one last year and the year before as well.
Has no clue how to optimize his roster.
Predictable, conservative and no real flair or creativity as a coach.
Technically deficient game plans that are being picked apart by opposition coaches.

Last edited:

Abbzy_89

Juniors
Definitely not a great outcome, we could of lost by a lot more. Biggest absents JDB’ s defence hopefully when Korbin Sims is available Frizell can go back to the edge and dominate. New spine has to gel it is good. McIdiot was stupid putting Dufty on so late , every ball went to him obvious intentions. Bench definitely needs Robson though

TruSaint

Referee
Came here for the post round 1 meltdown. Not disappointed 8/10

You cant be satisfied with that mate. Serious ?

This Cows team was there for the taking. We started well and then capitulated. We gave them, field position, we kicked too deep, kicked out on the full bombed on nearly every 5th tackle... We were predictable.

NQ is not a premiership threat mate. We made them look like one, after starting so well.

Last edited:

gitano

Juniors
You cant be satisfied with that mate. Serious ?

This Cows team was there for the taking. We started well and then capitulated. We gave them, field position, we kicked too deep, kicked out on the full bombed on nearly every 5th tackle... We were predictable.

NQ is not a premiership threat mate. We made hem look like one, after starting so well.
That's the thing with Round 1...It's Round 1.

Latest posts