What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 v Sharks

Hook suggested that he wanted AM in the team because of his organization and ability to get early ball out wide ( not that that's a hooker's responsibility ) so hopefully his service to his first receivers is fast and accurate.
I've been very critical of carrying 2 hookers in the 17 in the past but with the new rules making quick play the balls and darts out of dummy half advantageous it's not a bad option. Too bad Cam got injured and too bad our back up hooker BB is about 4foot tall and weighs 60kgs or close enough.

Rangi Chase 2006 version would have been dynamic now coming off the bench.

possm

Coach
Personally, I want to see if Griffins confidence in Hunt as our halfback and captain is justified. So I will be holding off judging this call until round 5. In any case, we have good depth in the halves and indeed our whole backline so, should any player in the backline fail to produce the goods, they will surely be replaced.

My concern has always been about a suitable replacement for Frizell and Graham. In my opinion we have fallen short replacing Frizell with a first class edge forward and Graham with a first class prop. I only hope we have the space and salary cap to snap up such replacements if they become available.

The only other position I'm concerned about is lock. We will know more after the De Belin trial is completed.

I still see the Dufty at fullback being a problem and will be happy to be wrong on this one if Dufty comes out and surprises us with some stout defence and determined returns after taking a high ball. At least we have a ready replacement in Ramsey, followed in the not distance future by Sloan and Schiller to fill the fullback position if Ramsey fails.

I would dearly love for Norman to be snapped up by another club in the early rounds of 2021. This would give us the opportunity to secure a top flight forward for the current season at least.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Personally, I want to see if Griffins confidence in Hunt as our halfback and captain is justified. So I will be holding off judging this call until round 5. In any case, we have good depth in the halves and indeed our whole backline so, should any player in the backline fail to produce the goods, they will surely be replaced.

My concern has always been about a suitable replacement for Frizell and Graham. In my opinion we have fallen short replacing Frizell with a first class edge forward and Graham with a first class prop. I only hope we have the space and salary cap to snap up such replacements if they become available.

The only other position I'm concerned about is lock. We will know more after the De Belin trial is completed.

I still see the Dufty at fullback being a problem and will be happy to be wrong on this one if Dufty comes out and surprises us with some stout defence and determined returns after taking a high ball. At least we have a ready replacement in Ramsey, followed in the not distance future by Sloan and Schiller to fill the fullback position if Ramsey fails.

I would dearly love for Norman to be snapped up by another club in the early rounds of 2021. This would give us the opportunity to secure a top flight forward for the current season at least.
Lomax has proven himself as has Ravalawa and then we have Pereira who goes alright but doesn't get a go Rd1. Williame hasn't set the world on fire either and Dufty is a week to week proposition according to some. After that we have mostly young unproven players for the backline most are young and untried. Ramsey is still wet behind the ears and not confirmed as a full-time winger just yet IMO. So I reckon we are short right across the park except for the 6 and 7 which we have plenty of experience and youth.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, I've settled on, what I think, will be our team list come Tuesday.
Some conjecture about the #17 but I feel an impact player would serve us well, particularly in the latter half of the game.

1. Dufty
2. Ramsey
3. Bird
4. Lomax
5. Periera
6. Clune
7. Hunt
8. Faama
9. Macca
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Kerr
13. Lawrie

14. Ellis
15. Alvaro
16. Fuimaono
17. Ravalawa

If Macca cannot play the 80 mins, then Hunt moves to hooker, Clune to 7 and Bird to 5/8. Fui to centre or even Rava for that impact. Yoi could even switch Ramsey to centre and Rava to right wing (his preferred spot imo).
I left Ford out as I think his trial form was disappointing, but it wouldn't surprise to see him at #17 in place of Rava.

Anyway just my thoughts.

boardlumps62

Juniors
So, it will be Clune he gets first crack at 6 as Griffin is determined to have Captain Hunt at 7. I just want to see LONNG kicks to the CORNERS each time they kick in general play.
That's exactly right play the game in their backyard. Finally worked it out.

possm

Coach
Ahh well, better to do it now rather than mid season.
Norman was always going to get a month to six weeks before Hook sees him for what he is and drops him for Sullivan.
I would have thought that being found guilty and being issued with a fine and a 1 week suspension should have triggered a termination clause in Norman's contract. But by the looks of it, apparently not.

Whoever drew up that contract should be sacked.

Ted bartolo

Juniors
Some conjecture about the #17 but I feel an impact player would serve us well, particularly in the latter half of the game.

1. Dufty
2. Ramsey
3. Bird
4. Lomax
5. Periera
6. Clune
7. Hunt
8. Faama
9. Macca
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Kerr
13. Lawrie

14. Ellis
15. Alvaro
16. Fuimaono
17. Ravalawa

If Macca cannot play the 80 mins, then Hunt moves to hooker, Clune to 7 and Bird to 5/8. Fui to centre or even Rava for that impact. Yoi could even switch Ramsey to centre and Rava to right wing (his preferred spot imo).
I left Ford out as I think his trial form was disappointing, but it wouldn't surprise to see him at #17 in place of Rava.

Anyway just my thoughts.
I think Clune will go to hooker if Macca needs a break.maybe Dufty to 5/8

blacksafake

First Grade

1. Dufty
2. Ramsey
3. Bird
4. Lomax
5. Periera
6. Clune
7. Hunt
8. Faama
9. Macca
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Kerr
13. Lawrie

14. Ellis
15. Alvaro
16. Fuimaono
17. Ravalawa

Anyway just my thoughts.
If Macca needs a break, Clune to 9, Bird to 6 & Fui/Ford to 3. But who knows :shrug_tone2:♂️

ALSGI

Bench

1. Dufty
2. Ramsey
3. Bird
4. Lomax
5. Periera
6. Clune
7. Hunt
8. Faama
9. Macca
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Kerr
13. Lawrie

14. Ellis
15. Alvaro
16. Fuimaono
17. Ravalawa

Anyway just my thoughts.
Agree, that’s probs the team we’re looking at in 7 days time......except really curious to know why people think JP is better than Rava?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Ahh well, better to do it now rather than mid season.
Norman was always going to get a month to six weeks before Hook sees him for what he is and drops him for Sullivan.
True but still would have been nice for Sullivan to get some KOC in the meantime to push his claims/learn his trade.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Agree, that’s probs the team we’re looking at in 7 days time......except really curious to know why people think JP is better than Rava?

Don't think its about being better.

JP is a left side player and both Rava and Ramsey are right. Not saying Rava or Ramsey cant play left, but preferred position.
I think we saw that in the CS, when JP was HIA, Rava went to left wing but was swiftly changed to right with Ramsey to the left (where he scored his try).

Just my opinion on this.