1. Out Now: The Front Row rugby league magazine

LeagueUnlimited.com is proud to launch a brand new weekly publication to accompany your footy weekend.

This week, Joshua Wells speaks with injured Canterbury forward Joe Stimson as he works his way toward an NRL return next season, and we have a big double spread of the Rugby League Project's 'Rugby League Scorigami!

EDITION 6 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Round 1 V West Tigers

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Dragonslayer, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

Can't agree re our defence I think it is shit.
    Of course the on line stuff looks good but the simple fact is they rolled up the field with ease.
    They should never get to that position so easily but they did and theirs is not a particularly good pack.
    Our moments of try saving was only a poor imitation of what Dugan provided game in game out.
    Graham & Kerr missed easy tackles in the middle and Hunt pushed off as he went for shoulder tackles so nothing has changed except Lomax is a mile in front of Norman or Dufty re defending the line.

2. thebigredv

thebigredv Juniors

I'm just waiting for some old bloke to log on and post "calm down it's just the first round, it's just one game blah blah". Then it will be a true case of of de ja vu and my blood pressure will go through the roof.

Warabrook saint likes this.
  3. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Juniors

I actually reckon Luc could have used a bit of that attitude with us. That was probably his biggest issue. He played ok tonight it wasn't the dominating performance some thought it was though. Never threw much at him in D to test him for a start and in attack well the amount of sets they had at us he was bound to get one eventually. We shut him down pretty well I thought. That grubber he dived on, was a mistake by Zac but I could see what he was trying to do, they had done a lot of defending, he shielded the kick and it did look strong but it just pulled up. He will learn from that but that was difference in the game really our kicks went just over the line and Benji's pulled up just short of it.

blacksafake likes this.
  4. epDragon62

epDragon62 Bench

Game 1... let's hope it gets better.

5. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

It will...when we get a new coach.

6. George Dragon

George Dragon Juniors

He was named started and played a full game at FB v Sharks last year.

Has never played FB in reserves
    He played one game at FB in Flegg 2018

7. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

Well, well , well , I see that we are moving up in the world . So Uncle Gus’s review of the Dragon’s 2019 season and his subsequent changes to the assistant coaching ranks are beginning to pay dividends and here we were thinking that he had no idea what he was talking about ! :flushed:

8. Father Ted

Father Ted First Grade

Poor Gibson that was more a public beating that a match up..

Warabrook saint likes this.
  9. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Juniors

Ok so he’s played one game FG in 2019 without a pre season there and none in reserve grade (against men) and one in Flegg. Pretty much sums up my point. It will take time to learn the game at NRL level.

George Dragon and Father Ted like this.
  10. Slippery Morris

Slippery Morris First Grade

Difference today was the coach. Maguire identified weaknesses, tweaked some stuff and they won. Mary probably patted the boys on the back, said all good guys keep it up and there you have a 2nd half of rubbish.

Luciano and Benji scored tries to put them in front. Benji controlled the game without his regular half. Pure masterclass. Those 2 were not good enough for Mary. Says it all. However Madge see them as weapons and it showed tonight. I would love those 2 guys to have a great 2020 season to show how stupid Saints are for letting them go.

11. Dragons 09

Dragons 09 Juniors

I had hoped Flanno's involvement would have had a positive impact on the team but it looked a lot like previous years, guess he's under a tight leash so he doesn't show the super coach up.

Our defence out wide was better, but i think that was due to Aitken's absence more so than any new structures having been introduced. That should be the last we see of Aitken in the top grade barring a bad run of injuries.

It was just a lot of the same shite as previous years, going to be more pain until the impostor coach is gone. Lomax is still a work in progress but will get there as long as he gets a good 6 to 8 weeks to iron out the yips.

I thought our new recruits probably looked as good as anyone today, guess they just haven't been McGregored as yet.

I had us finishing 10th-11th this year, i may have been a tad optimistic!

12. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG First Grade

Speaking of the new recruits, did Williame see much game time? Other than fluffing a fairly reasonable try scoring opportunity (and lying with a false celebration), I don’t recall him doing much.

Tyrell F. looks promising.

Luke, whilst trying hard, often went the wrong way from dummy half, particularly close to the line.

Merrin was non existent.

Brittain’s cameo was redolent of Havilli when he was a Dragon. You know what I mean. Simply shovel the ball out, and whatever you do, don’t dare showing any creativity.

Gareth67 and Warabrook saint like this.
  13. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG First Grade

I’d rather a 40 plus Marshall than a 30 year old Norman.

Millward sure knows to pick a dud.

Does anyone have Gareth W’s phone number?

Sigh.

Warabrook saint and Coffs dragon like this.
  14. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG First Grade

As evidenced by leading Souths to its first premiership in 40 plus years. I don’t agree with yours assessment with LL, who was error riddled. Frizzel, Sims and Lawrie all had superior performances.

15. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG First Grade

What game did you watch? Lomax’s performance was hardly “shocking”. Yes, there were a few mistakes but there were a couple of good attributes such as positional play, and goal line defence. As already expressed, he is shaky under kicks.

blacksafake and Warabrook saint like this.
  16. Objective View

Objective View Bench

It's far too early to be writing off the season - it's only round 1!!!

There were a number of positives to come out of the game eg take out Tiger's tries from kicks and we win.

Looking forward to next week.

Straight Shooter

17. Crush

Crush First Grade

Ben Hunt was terrible.

2010 likes this.
  18. Crush

Crush First Grade

Did you expect something different?
    I wrote this year off long ago. I just want entertainment and that game was entertaining enough. I fully expect to lose most games, its a rebuild.
    Try not to focus too much on our halves, just laugh when they kick the ball dead or out on the full.
    This season is a write off, in more ways than one.

19. Life's Good

Life's Good Coach

Obviously disappointed to lose but it’s the manner in which it happens that’s the killer. It’s the composure/game management side of things that has continued to let us down. Not since Hornby have we had someone in the team who can control our tempo. We started well yesterday, then lost our way & then struggle to keep our our sh*t together.
    I know Graham is good leader but it’s up to the halves to set the tone & frankly, they didnt(although Hunt has some good individual moments).

20. JohnnoMcJohnno

JohnnoMcJohnno Juniors

I try to laugh at our halves, but given we are paying each a million bucks per year I can only cry. Jai Field and Josh McCrone would have done no worse at a fraction of the cost.

Warabrook saint and thebigredv like this.