What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 V West Tigers

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Norman and Lafai can go, like now! Norman is a total dud, I am beginning to think it is no coincidence his team's are wooden spoilers or one off. He has got nothing. I remember he was a gun, there is nothing there now. I'd keep Hunt, he had a bad game but he is worth keeping. Tigers lost their halfback and still beat us.
I thought Lafai played okay considering he played on the wing. Certainly better than Aitken would have. Norman was maybe told to not overplay his hand and followed that advice too a tee....

Wittenberg

Juniors
4 more games and counting for mary to be sacked. What a useless game plan a 40 year old benji kicked us out of the game. Our 6 and 7 need to be moved on what a joke hunt cant even kick a ball . Wooden spoon or mary what will it be a toss of the coin.
Mary should have gone before this but he hasn’t. He was resigned when he shouldn’t have been. He was reviewed and should have been punted. He was ‘cleared’ and came up smelling like roses. Eight others in the coaching ranks were sacked, he wasn’t. I don’t know what he has over our Club but he must have something. Mediocre results and ‘successfully’ forming a team that repeatedly plays well below its ability. When I feel really, really cynical I wonder if he has incriminating details on someone because it defies logic. All I know is we are becoming a team that only knows how to lose. We no longer have a killer instinct and repeatedly blow teams off the park but fail to capitalise on it. We lack confidence and it shows. People talk about our spine not performing.....really it is our Club’s leadership and lack of spine that is the real issue.

Dragon David

First Grade
After the last game being played today (Dragons v Tigers), all players, I would assume, will be tested for any virus surely.
Good game. If thats the only game they play all year at least it was a bit of fun.
Benji schooled us, Hunt and Norman looked defeated from the kickoff.
Benji and Reynolds just love playing and teasing with us. Our halves were woeful when I watched the replay - too many kicks and lots not hitting the mark. Yes we bombed a few tries which if scored might have given us a win, but not to be and it just shows our player strengths and abilities do not match other teams. Too bad we lost Rava early as he could have done some damage.

We definitely need a gifted game breaker which we have lacked for a long time. So long ago that I cannot even remember who??

2 weeks from our opening game of 2020, and nearly time for our first team list Tuesday.

So, to kick things off, here is my team for round 1: (based on what I've seen in the trials). We all know McGregor will totally stick to his favourites.

1. Lomax
2. Ravalawa
3. Fuimaono
4. Williame
5. Periera
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Lawrie
9. Luke
10. Vaughan
11. T. Sims
12. Frizell
13. Host

14. Brittain
15. Graham
16. Merrin
17. Ford
Not surprised by the result today but here is some commentary:
1. Defended much better than most of the games last year. Flannagan is doing what he promised.
2. Our execution in attack is second rate.
Hunt is a rocks and diamonds type of player and today he was mostly rocks.
Our kicking game is still not up to standard for a FG RL Team.
3. Graham must retire - he is just hogging a spot that a younger forward could develop into.
No impact (62 RM), doesn't bend the line and missed a crucial one on one tackle.
4. Lafai - not FG standard. Why do they persist?
5. Norman - can't lead the team around the park but either can Hunt.
This halves pairing will not win us a premiership in a million years.
6. Lomax - Rocks and diamonds but I think deserves more chances. At least as many as Dufty had.
7, Tariq Sims fully fit is a monster and brings some real authority to our pack.
He and Vaughn, Frizell the only ones that bring some impact to our game. Others like Lawrie, give 100% but whether that makes a difference in the end it's hard to tell.
8. Williame - a class above Aitkin.
9. Completion rate - diabolical . No chance of winning any game with today's match stats.
10. Second half fade - old habits die hard. The second half had McGregor's signature all over it.
Conclusion:
The only part of our game that seems to have improved from 2019 is our defence.
All the rest, including game plan, our attack and our general execution was terrible.
All the hallmarks of a poorly coached Team.
First game of the season in front of our home crowd.
Tigers were not much better but they have a genuine leader in Benji. We do not.

Imagine what the score would have been had Brooks played.

We had many chances early and failed to score.

It came back to bite us as the game went on.

Our error count was diabolical.

Tigers won the grind.

Goal line defence was good.

Lafai made Rav look like a representative winger.

Luc Leilua is smiling this evening.

Losing to Tigers at home sucks.

Good early indicator as to where our team is at.

Bottom 4 attempting to avoid the spoon.

Spazer

Juniors
Disagree. Lomax does go looking for the ball. Gets involved. He drops a high swirling kick on his own goaline in the rain. Once he gets crisp ball from Hunt and Norman you'll see how good he is. That's the problem. Doesn't get rag dolled like Dufty.
He didn't touch the ball for the first 20mins, and we had all the ball in their 20 at the beginning. But you're right, there were a few times Norman took it himself instead of giving it to Lomax. He certainly needs more early ball to do anything.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
It was tough in the sense that he was camped on his on his own line in the rain repeat set after repeat set. Seriously mate it was his first ever NRL game in that position other than some mid game positional switch ups last year. Benji played beautifully, if we had half his game management this game we would have won that game comfortably. No player will ever develop for us because the fans only see the negatives and tear them to shreds. Give him time seriously its one game.

Two things:

1. while it may have been his first NRL game at fullback, he has played previously in that position a number of times in reserve grade.

2. irrespective of whatever level Lomax has played at fullback (or on the wing), he has repeatedly shown a propensity to drop kicks on a All too frequent basis.

Today was no different.

sa1nt5

Juniors
No direction from our halves at all, Ben hunt must go to dummy half in order for both him and Norman to wake up.
Friz breaking tackles and Lomax nowhere in sight, if the fullback can’t anticipate either of our second row then he is a winger.
I can’t help but think if Rav was out the back he would be sniffing around for those kind of things and letting his halves know he wants an inside ball

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Mary should have gone before this but he hasn’t. He was resigned when he shouldn’t have been. He was reviewed and should have been punted. He was ‘cleared’ and came up smelling like roses. Eight others in the coaching ranks were sacked, he wasn’t. I don’t know what he has over our Club but he must have something. Mediocre results and ‘successfully’ forming a team that repeatedly plays well below its ability. When I feel really, really cynical I wonder if he has incriminating details on someone because it defies logic. All I know is we are becoming a team that only knows how to lose. We no longer have a killer instinct and repeatedly blow teams off the park but fail to capitalise on it. We lack confidence and it shows. People talk about our spine not performing.....really it is our Club’s leadership and lack of spine that is the real issue.
He's a skilled ar*elicker....that's how he survives

blacksafake

First Grade
About what I’ve become used to except today I thought without Brooks we would win.
Although I think Zac is a centre I’m happy to give him plenty of time. His defence was good, positional play ok & I did notice him talking in defence.
I think Tyrell did enough to keep his spot.
Friz looked better on the left & ran some good lines.
Hunt as usual has copped plenty on here but he can’t be accused of not putting in, plus his defence saved 3 tries.Lack of go forward didn’t help.
I was really surprised at the hate coming from Luc towards some of his ex teammates, most notably Zac & Lawrie. Going out of his way to sledge in their faces & push or rub their heads. Big brother must be teaching him.I was a fan of his but he can get you know what from me now.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Two things:

1. while it may have been his first NRL game at fullback, he has played previously in that position a number of times in reserve grade.

2. irrespective of whatever level Lomax has played at fullback (or on the wing), he has repeatedly shown a propensity to drop kicks on a All too frequent basis.

Today was no different.
I don't think he ever played fullback in reserves but correct me with evidence if he has. Besides that he will be given more of a shot and deserves it. He did things Dufty could never do, important things like organising our line and being quiet spot on with positioning. Once he gets comfortable of the pressure im sure the takes will become more frequent and the drops less. Thats if the Saints supporters give anyone longer than 2 weeks before they become Billy Slater. He's here for years. Get behind him, give him a chance.