What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs. Cowboys Discussion + Voting

Big Pete

Referee
Almost time to kick the season off and as you may of noticed, yes we will be voting for player of the year again.

So, who do you think will be selected for the first game of the season? Who do you think stood up in the trials and impressed our new coach Anthony 'Hook' Griffin? And on the other hand, who ruled themselves out?

We won't know the results yet about Hodges until later today maybe even tomorrow but if he's out I expect the side to look like...

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Jharal Yow Yeh
3. Gerard Beale
4. Jack Reed
5. Dane Gagai
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Peter Wallace
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Shane Tronc
11. Ben Te'o
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Alex Glenn
15. Matt Gillett
16. Josh McGuire
17. Ben Hunt

I must remind you, this is the side I expect will be picked, the side I'd go with would be marginally different - I'd of selected another prop in the place of Hunt who I believe should be playing 80 min. games at halfback but I get the feeling Griff will want to include him in these initial rounds and see how far he's progressed this offseason.

On the side, I like our spine and forward pack but geez our backline is something of an unknown quantity. Word is Reed and Beale have been reliable in the trials but it remains to be seen whether they'll be able to take that to the dance, or so to speak. Then we have the debut of Toyota Cup star Gagai as well as the ever complacent Yow Yeh who can be amazing one minute and disappointing the next, hopefully he's grown over the offseason.

Past our side and looking at the match itself, I predict this match will be relatively close, as they generally have been over the past few seasons and I expect the Broncos to run away with a satisfactory 10 point victory. I say this because of our home ground advantage and I don't think the Cows will play their best footy until half-way through the season given their inexperienced side and relatively ordinary offseason.

What do you guys think?

beads6

First Grade
1. Hoffman
2. Gagai
3. Beale
4. Hodges/Glenn
5. Yow Yeh
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. Tronc
11. Te'o
12. Thaiday
12. Parker

14. Gillett
15. Anderson
16. McGuire
17. Glenn/ Dodds

That is the team I would pick for round one.

Last edited:

renouf

Juniors
On the side, I like our spine and forward pack but geez our backline is something of an unknown quantity.

It's like that every season isn't it? We seem to blood a new pair of wingers every year.

Hodges is saying he'll be right for Round 1.. but I'll believe it when I see him out there.

Bench is too small for mine, need another prop forward on the bench.

Big Pete

Referee
It's like that every season isn't it? We seem to blood a new pair of wingers every year.

Difference being the three quaters. You're right though, wingers have basically been interchangable since Tuqiri and Sailor left.

Which is my issue too although I suspect Griffin will move Thaiday to prop when Gillett or Glenn come on.

Big Pete

Referee

Difference being the three quaters. You're right though, wingers have basically been interchangable since Tuqiri and Sailor left.

Which is my issue too although I suspect Griffin will move Thaiday to prop when Gillett or Glenn come on.

Hench

Juniors
I have a feeling Hodges will start on the bench and come on after 20 minutes at his right centre position

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Denan Kemp
3. Gerard Beale
15. Ben Te'o
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Peter Wallace
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Shane Tronc
11. Matt Gillett
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

4. Justin Hodges
14. Alex Glenn
16. Scott Anderson
17. Mitchell Dodds

BroncoGordie

Juniors
Beale never set the world on fire with all his opportunities.. I'd say Gagai & reed will be given a crack, both are showing more promise of being our new superstars than Beale.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
I have a feeling Hodges will start on the bench and come on after 20 minutes at his right centre position

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Denan Kemp
3. Gerard Beale
15. Ben Te'o
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Peter Wallace
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Shane Tronc
11. Matt Gillett
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

4. Justin Hodges
14. Alex Glenn
16. Scott Anderson
17. Mitchell Dodds

No way in the world they will start Hodges on the bench. He'll either be fit enough to start or not play at all.

00digger00

Juniors
1. Hoffman
2. Gagai
3. Beale
4. Hodges/Glenn
5. Yow Yeh
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. Tronc
11. Te'o
12. Thaiday
12. Parker

14. Gillett
15. Anderson
16. McGuire
17. Glenn/ Dodds

That is the team I would pick for round one.
Start Gillett, Te'o to the bench

Hench

Juniors
Apparently our "muscled up" forward pack has 1 prop on the bench and it's Josh McGuire. :oops:

Hench

Juniors
Several media outlets have mentioned Thaiday starting at prop.While I agree it is stupid to move the best second rower in the comp there it could end up happening.

And in 2008 Lockyer started one or two games off the bench coming back from knee injury. Who's to say they won't do that with Hodges?

Hench

Juniors
On that right edge he does. He has been quite ineffective when in at prop.

A starting pack of Hannant, McCullough,Thaiday,Gillett,Te'o and Parker will struggle.

AuDragon

Juniors
On that right edge he does. He has been quite ineffective when in at prop.

A starting pack of Hannant, McCullough,Thaiday,Gillett,Te'o and Parker will struggle.
Wow, really? Who would be better? :sarcasm:

Latest posts