What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs. Cowboys Discussion + Voting

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I think what Hench is getting at is that Thaiday should be playing in the backrow. Which I agree with, especially after watching Troncy in the trial game.

AuDragon

Juniors
I think Thaiday would be more effective during the initial onslaught, because of his damaging hit-ups, and then bring Tronc in for the grind work and second play phase, which would be generated from Troncy's great offload ability to offload.

Even though Thaiday is a fantastic second rower, I believe our second row ranks are very well stacked and it would be a shame to see any of Parker, Gillett or Te'o on the bench, while Thaiday can be a very good front row weapon.

With Glenn, Troncy and McGuire/Anderson on the bench, we would be well covered...

beads6

First Grade
It doesn't matter where Thaiday plays he will play the same way. I don't mind having Thaiday at prop if it means we have Gillett, Teo, and Parker starting in the back row.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Here's Big Pete's team with the change of Thaiday to prop and Tronc to the bench and Gillett to starting side as has been suggested and Hodges to start.

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Dane Gagai
3. Gerard Beale
4. Justin Hodges
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Peter Wallace
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Sam Thaiday
11. Ben Te'o
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

14. Alex Glenn
15. Shane Tronc
16. Josh McGuire
17. Ben Hunt

Last edited:

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Here's Big Pete's team with the change of Thaiday to prop and Tronc to the bench and Gillett to starting side as has been suggested and Hodges to start.

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Jharal Yow Yeh
3. Gerard Beale
4. Justin Hodges
5. Dane Gagai
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Peter Wallace
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Sam Thaiday
11. Ben Te'o
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

14. Alex Glenn
15. Shane Tronc
16. Josh McGuire
17. Ben Hunt

Jharal will be 5.

renouf

Juniors
Justin Hodges Gets Good News
Tristan Croll
Bronco Media

2/03/2011 11:55:40 AM

Broncos star centre Justin Hodges has received good news on his torn hamstring he suffered during the final trial match win over Melbourne.
Medical staff have revealed Hodges’ injury is only a grade one tear giving him the best chance at being ready for the opener against the Cowboys on Friday March 11.
“It’s only a grade one tear, so obviously they thought it was grade two but it’s only grade one so it puts me in good stead for round one hopefully,” Hodges told Bronco TV.
Hodges will now race the clock to be fit for round one to be his first game back in the NRL since 2009.

http://www.broncos.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=33925&title=justin-hodges-gets-good-news

Snoochies

First Grade
By the way happy 21st to Josh McGuire. I actually have a photo of me holding him as a baby.

Big Pete

Referee
Seagulls, are you really going to be that pedantic?

I had Jharal down as #2 because that was where he was named in the trial, but hey give yourself a pat on the back next Tuesday when Hook names him at #5 and chalk it up as another one of your supposed 'told ya so's'. :p

renouf

Juniors
Seagulls, are you really going to be that pedantic?

I had Jharal down as #2 because that was where he was named in the trial, but hey give yourself a pat on the back next Tuesday when Hook names him at #5 and chalk it up as another one of your supposed 'told ya so's'. :p

:lol: Well said.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
I only said it because Hodges and Yow Yeh at least have experience on the same side. It will be interesting to see how Gagai and Beale go in defence.

johns_reds

First Grade
Looking at the teams posted i think we need another prop and Tronc to start, 8 days to go! can't wait!

Hench

Juniors
I think Thaiday would be more effective during the initial onslaught, because of his damaging hit-ups, and then bring Tronc in for the grind work and second play phase, which would be generated from Troncy's great offload ability to offload.

Even though Thaiday is a fantastic second rower, I believe our second row ranks are very well stacked and it would be a shame to see any of Parker, Gillett or Te'o on the bench, while Thaiday can be a very good front row weapon.

With Glenn, Troncy and McGuire/Anderson on the bench, we would be well covered...

Thaiday is not effective as a prop at all compared to his 2nd row form. And Tronc proved himself last year as a very good prop.

AuDragon

Juniors
Thaiday is not effective as a prop at all compared to his 2nd row form. And Tronc proved himself last year as a very good prop.
You're missing the point. Hannant and Tronc are good props, but the rest is either too young or not good enough, while our 2nd row stocks are full of quality, hence moving Thaiday to prop, where he'll do as good a job as any other prop we have and better than most!

Broncos fan!

Juniors

I'd like to see how Thaiday went at prop this year. I know he has been ineffective in the past but he has upped his game so much since then and I think he would be far more capable now. So I wouldn't mind playing him at prop for a few games to see how he goes.

Hench

Juniors
We need that 3rd prop to stand up and deliver when Hannant and Tronc go off the field. A fair few people think it's McGuire. I don't see it just yet. I've always thought that if Scott Anderson got enough games he could develop into a really good prop.

I'd like to see

- Hannant and Tronc starting
- Tronc comes off after 20 minutes and replaced by Anderson
- Hannant comes off after 25 - 30 minutes for Te'o. Thaiday goes to prop for the final 10 minutes of the half when the game slows down.
- End the half with

15. Anderson
14. Hunt
11. Thaiday
16. Te'o
12. Gillett
13. Parker

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Its unfortunate that Broncos second row stocks are so strong, I remember suggesting the idea of Thaiday to prop last year towards the end of the season, but it was shot down in a chorus of "why weaken one position to make another stronger", I myself wasn't a fan but I was more a fan of Thaiday playing prop than Teo. It will be interesting to see the official team and see of Griffin fits all of the players in. I myself would have Thaiday as prop with Tronc and McGuire on the bench, with Glenn and Hunt.

Can't wait for the season to start.

Got a bet with a tool of a teacher who thinks the rabbits will finish above the Broncos

AuDragon

Juniors
Its unfortunate that Broncos second row stocks are so strong, I remember suggesting the idea of Thaiday to prop last year towards the end of the season, but it was shot down in a chorus of "why weaken one position to make another stronger", I myself wasn't a fan but I was more a fan of Thaiday playing prop than Teo. It will be interesting to see the official team and see of Griffin fits all of the players in. I myself would have Thaiday as prop with Tronc and McGuire on the bench, with Glenn and Hunt.

Can't wait for the season to start.

Got a bet with a tool of a teacher who thinks the rabbits will finish above the Broncos
You're a shoe in already. With their 1, 6 and 7, Souffs probably won't even make the 8!

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. It's looking increasingly likely that Yow Yeh and Gagai will be our starting wingers for the start of the season. I could be wrong though.